1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rich white folks....at it again

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, May 19, 2017.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ima have to go all Shervin on my C22 and stick some foils on that Beyotch.
    Whadda think some fools, in weld and 2 or 3 layers of duct tape oughtaa do, right?

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

2 part epoxy. Duct tape optional.

Cheers,

dave

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    joec likes this.
  4. joec

joec brace yourself

Just saw they are using a dainese life jacket on the boats. Cool.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The Ocean Race channel has been posting prior event movies since the shutdown started. New vid in the youtube thread.

joec likes this.
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

Anyone checking out the vendee globe? Alex Thomson on the hugo boss boat..foiling solo round the world race..I think they left on Monday.. 6 women competing this year.. the start was beautifully shot with stunning footage of the boats leaving in patchy fog and sun. This is the race people questioned foiling the southern ocean.. Dee Caffari commentating. vendee-globe-2020-contenders-hugo-boss-credit-Alex-Thomson-Racing-3.jpg

Razr likes this.
  7. joec

joec brace yourself

Alex Thomson and hugo boss are officially out.. Just saw a vid saying he's headed to cape town.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

And escoffier sinks 500 miles off Cape of good hope. Le cam turned around to help. Found kevin in a raft from what I was told. Escoffier was in 4th and le cam in third. The foilers are dropping like flies!

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Worked on a 67 formosa monohull in the bvis and went to trinidad for hurricane season and had the 52 beniteu to take out for fun. Great boat but since then I'm a cat guy. Worked on cats for years, sailed a lagoon 62 acroos to St. Lucia. Big down winder and you could still have a good dinner and a bottle of wine in 10 ft plus seas, A monohaul, a shit show

10. Captain Morgan

Ran into some around the worlders racing team Nassau, we towed them out. They had a stupid lead weight draft of 14ft around. told them where to point to and never touch a bank or your fucked. Foils are cool for sailing, you can push things farther than should be allowed

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Listening to the live report this morning. Le cam foundd him at night with his strobe going. And it was a pretty catastrphic structural failure. The interview with kevin he was like "meh".. sounds like he's very lucky to have been found. I hope jean le cam can win this one. Be great to see the old man beat all of the foilers.

I do wonder how much the increased speeds are playing into the problems of the leaders.

12. Captain Morgan

I'm guessing you never sailed a boat across the Atlantic in sustained 55 knot winds surfing down 20 foot swells hitting cat.jpg up to 28 knots. And dragging a tire behind you so you don't pitchpole and drown.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, I know they make airplanes that cross the Atlantic now.

dave3593, Phl218, joec and 2 others like this.
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

That looks like a lot of boat!

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Image_1607625233.jpg holy crap! Racing starts next week!!

16. Captain Morgan

62 lagoon

Phl218 and joec like this.
  17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Day 1 highlights

18. Captain Morgan

Its a classic example of people that don't appreciate the top level of all sports, a random person can watch moto gp and unless they crash, no excitement, not noticing the back tire off the ground into a blind corner saving it at the last second and repeating it the next lap on a risk of crashing every corner just to go faster. This is the moto gp of sailing with probably more money pumped up in a team than moto gp

NemesisR6 and joec like this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How can you equate this with MotoGP? The still shot of the above vid looks like a buncha squids rippin' around in a parking lot. They should be in jail and their boat (prolly stolen) impounded. :D

joec likes this.
  20. joec

joec brace yourself

I watched all of day or but I need to catch up.. In thinking team usa is going to really rise. I love the luna roads prada pirelli boat. Cheering for the Brits too but man it's looking like etnz is going to kick everyone's ass. Looks like they have the most aero boat too..I saw 47kts. They're only going to get faster..

Fwiw, these are very preliminary races.. Kind of qualifying for the playoffs.

I think they said prada lost thier starting software. Then they did a huge digger. I bet they wash a few guys off before the end of the cup.