1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Flag Rules

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by NoTroublems, Mar 27, 2006.

1. NoTroublems

NoTroublems Well-Known Member

Hey guys, It was a great first round at Jennings, hope everyone had fun!

Now, about those red flags....
    Does anyone else feel that we should be aloud to put tire warmers on while the bikes are sitting there on pit lane during a red flag stop? It is not work on the bike, it is a safety measure, specially when we have some stops as long as we did this round - remember, tires were so cold someone crashed on a warm up lap before one of the restarts.

Just a thought, If we all agree, maybe we can do something about it.

2. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

I think you have to call that a rider error.

3. theTank

theTank "You're my BOY, Blue!"

I agree with the crash being a matter of rider error, but the simple truth is that many race tires will 'cold tear' when ridden below temperature and cause even more grip issues during the race.

Tire warmers during a red flag would significantly increase the safety of the restart.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So cold tires are unsafe - does this mean I should require and enforce a tire warmer rule for all racers at all times?

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's where experence comes in. While I would not be against it, I doubt it will change.A smart rider, knows you have to bring the tires to temp, in order to prevent cold tearing. It's ENDURANCE!

6. theTank

Good point, but I don't see a rule requiring warmers during a red flag, but allowing them to be put on during a red flag just seems like a good idea.

What problems would that produce on your side of the situation?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The normal whin ing about how so and so cheated by doing stuff while they were putting on the warmers for a start, which means I need more people on pitlane to enforce rules. Then they'll want to plug them in, then it's extension cords across pit lane, then there will be the issue of first call remove the warmers and cords, oh wait a sec first call is too soon (or the ever popular you made first call too soon and my tires got cold) so we need to wait longer, oh somoene fell on the warmup anyway, can we get our tires back up to temp before we do it again?

8. theTank

I see your point, especially the part about the cords across pit lane, not to mention how many ways the teams could not be trusted to follow the rules regarding one simple act of consideration on your part. I'm sure you just LOVE to hear more whining from the teams out there, too! Thanks for clearing this up for us, Sean. At least everybody else is on cold tires, too!

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It may happen - I'm not totally ruling it out. Just that right now I don't see a huge need for it, all of the problems people are haivng can be cured by riding the bike properly.

10. NoTroublems

Ahh yes, let me clarify, the incident itself cannot be blamed on tires alone - I realize a rider should know how to properly bring tires back up to temp. and would agree on rider error. I was simply trying to make a point and give food for thought.

I think a rule requiring is a little overboard ofcourse, but I feel that allowing it would be in the best interest of the riders and the organization.

11. Hey MR. Garafalo,
    I think they're talkin to you bud. :Poke: Sorry dude, I didnt like to see you so banged up.

12. NoTroublems

Uh-oh, looks like I'm the @sshole here.... Sorry to whoever that was... I ofcourse mean no disrespect, and hope you're O.K.

13. SIMPLETRUTH is SIMPLY an A$$hole:D just kiddin! I understand your gripe, but it all comes in experience and sometimes we make mistakes. But in this case I had just talked to Mike and I think he had stated the that tires were moving around a bit warm, so imagine them cold.:confused:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mike's wasn't the only issue on cold tires Saturday.

15. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Mike is fine a little sore, but okay overall he was a bit fuzzy for a while though. Hopefully we wont have the same problem at Tally in a couple of weeks.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

okay. time to stir the pot...:D

cold tear has nothing, a_b_s_o_l_u_t_e_l_y n_o_t_h_i_n_g, to do with cold tires.
    if you think you can hang a corner on cold tires you got another think coming cuz you're crashin'. period.

the so called "cold tear" is all about suspension...including tire psi.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I guess someone found the business center... :)

18. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

i could never see being able to use tire warmers during a red flag. there are too many things that could be done to the bike wile the tire warmers are being put on and not to mention the whole extenson cord thing. if you are smart...you take it esy for the first couple of laps, let the tires get back up to temperature, then get back on your normal pace...it's ENDURENCE RACING

19. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

I say we can compromise by allowing tire warmers on the bikes during red flags.Allow two people from pit to bring the stands and warmers to the bike once the bike is on both stands.The rider and second crew member is to walk away leaving one crew member behind to install the warmers.This way there is less of a chance of someone working on the bike while there is two other people hovering around the bike.Anyone caught working on the bike cost the team 1 to 5 laps penalty(NO WARNING).Most of the time, the pit marshals rely on other teams to point out a infraction to other competitors that are accused of violating. Starting a race on cold tires after a long red flag may be a small problem now but could be a big one in the future.It would be a great idea to be proactive in this case.More and more tire manufactures are building tires that are designed to operate safely at a recommended temp.Plus the fact it would present a little more professional look to the Endurance scene.I for one, run Michelin's which will step out in a big away when not up to temp.

20. NoTroublems

Cold tear is called cold tear for a reason, take it from a materials scientist.