1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD350 Ignition Upgrade

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by britx303, Oct 3, 2015.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

And as far as the brown band, it's not free, you earn it!

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Its missing the headers and the mufflers are a bit rusted/flaky on the bottom side. It didnt have the airbox either,but I already bought a new Y-boot and the K&N filter setup that seems common on them.So im still searching for chambers.

3. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Darn. I was hoping I could put together a good swap and do right by a bike I used to own. Many years ago I had a good one and in the foolishness of youth, butchered a wonderful bike and sold off the stock stuff. While I don't particularly like the guy who now owns it and am loath to do him any favors, I thought this might be a chance to help you in your need for chambers and make amends to my old RD.
    Good luck in your project and your racing with it.

4. yamageezer

So you need stock RD parts?

5. britx303

6. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, we eliminate the battery by taking it to the recycle center…so the question is: are you planning to run OEM ignition?

7. yamageezer

If this thing won't be on the street, I'd say the cheaper and lighter race ignition is a no brainer.

8. yamageezer

Or if you're on a budget, run a total loss battery and brand new factory points. I did that for my first two seasons on a CB350.

9. britx303

I ran my enfield with points for awhile then got a boyer/bransden ignition for it.So to answer your question: No,I dont want to run the OEM;)

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, you don't have to…before he sold his RD350 to me, Josh Smith-Moore won a C-ship on it using OEM ignition.

11. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

We, Vintage Specialties, do sell the PVL systems. Contact me if you want prices.
    Lyn Garland

12. yamageezer

:up::up::up: There ya go!

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Is it true that PVL doesn't cut keyways into their flywheels?

14. charles

charles The Transporter

No keyway in the rotor…tight press fit on end of shaft, with some Loctite applied on the clean shaft, and then a nut with washer. I've never had one 'slip' or move.

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's more getting the initial timing right that worries me.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

with the PVL? It's actually a very simple process…dial gauge in the cylinder head does the trick…a most reliable ignition system.

17. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

The Woodruff key in the Yamaha ignition system does not hold the rotor in place it locates the rotor during installation. The key is so small that if the rotor was not securely held to the crankshaft and the engine backfired, it would shear the key instantly. Charles is correct; you use a dial indicator to locate the approximate timing point, install the rotor, rap it smartly with a leather or plastic hammer to seat it on the taper, and install the bolt. You then accurately set the timing using the dial indicator. I have never had a rotor slip in all the years I have used Femsa, Moto-Plat. PVL systems. I also did not use Locktite or fine valve grinding compound as some tuners did to help seat the rotor on the shaft.
    Lyn Garland

18. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I have a set of spec 2 full race chambers for a 350. They are not perfect but I would still run them. Would let them go real cheap to help you get on track if you will put me in touch with your RD parts and bike guy. I am looking for another RD250 for the street.

Would also be willing to help with any build or assembly issues you may need help with. I am in York PA now but used to live in southern Maryland, but I am not a SMIB.

19. britx303

PM sent.:up:

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Are you Amish? :D