1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD350 Ignition Upgrade

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by britx303, Oct 3, 2015.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

What are you RD guys replacing the points ignition with? Also I "might" be in need of other RD parts

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

PVL has been the gold standard for quite some time, but I think there are a bunch of new digital ignitions that have hit the market lately that are probably better in many ways, but also a lot more costly and complicated. Put a PVL on it, set it at 1.7mm btdc and wring the snot out of it! (you can squeeze more advance if your going to a short track like tgpr or barber, but 1.7 is a good if you want to just set it and forget about it.)

3. joec

joec brace yourself

:stupid:

Yep

4. britx303

:up:Thanks!

5. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

The PVL is very good, but you have to check it to be sure the side to side timing is accurate. Mine was out .6mm from side to side, and this is not adjustible with the factory mount. The timing marks on the pickups were not placed correctly. I called Penton (PVL supplier) and they said they are aware of the problem. Buff Harsh has made a really nice PVL mount for RDs that allows individual timing of the two sides that is not possible with the stock mount. I had to buy more pickups until I had a set that were close on timing.

Your other option is the MZB unit, which I think is called Powerdynamo now. German made and a nice simple compact unit. It uses one dual output coil instead of the PVL two coil set up. Both are good units.

Mark

6. britx303

I keep finding different ignitions after further searching. The only hang-up now is I need to find another RD:eek:. Im just trying to get a winter build rolling since my season is done. Ive got my eye on a local,but it has a 250 engine in it,so if i get it,I will be in need of a 350 engine. So really,im starting from scratch otherwise,(as palm smacks forehead)

7. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

What Mark says about the PVL is correct but I've been using them for 20 years and have had no problems with the difference in timing. Set the left side first then check the right side. If it is off as much as Mark says you can shift the entire stator plate half the distance and your timing will be identical. I guess that just comes from racing these things since Hector was a pup.

Also, the MZB is a good system and the Powerdynamo function will give you the ability to develop your own ignition curve. It is, however, much more expensive than the PVL (or was the last time I checked). (Without the adjustable function it is about the same price as the PVL.) There is a lot of info on the two stroke forums on what ignition curves to program, however, they are street oriented and I am not sure they would be safe for the track.

Buff's PVL plate is very well made and will solve the manufacturing tolerance problem at Penton.
    Lyn Garland

8. britx303

Thanks Lyn. Still RD window shopping,but Ive got one on a hook.

9. britx303

Dyna S? Anyone try this set up? Im heading up today,to pick up a bike and the guy has this already on hand,but not installed.

10. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

The Dyna S is probably great for the street but marginal for the track. I think the problem would be the rotor; it's heavy and at high RPM tends to spread the crank half on that side. If it is part of the deal, well, OK but if he would cut the price somewhat the MZb or PVL would be better. Just my .02...
    Lyn Garland

11. britx303

Thanks Lyn.I got the bike,but without the Dyna S. Can you point me in the direction of whoever is selling/making the ignition stuff here? I would rather support someone here,if possible. Also I will be in need of some chambers if anyone has a set they dont need.Beat up is fine,its just to get me going for now.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

You mention that an RD250 is available, but you'll need to get a 350 engine…actually, what you will need is RD350 cylinders. RD350 heads and decent RD350 pistons, because the RD250 and RD350 have the same stroke, just a different bore (RD250 bore is 54mm and the RD350 bore is 64mm). You would be rebuilding the crank to race specs. You will also need longer studs for the RD350 cylinders (taller cylinders).

Lyn Garland and/or Mark Morrow would be the best people to inquire about the availability of proper cylinders, porting, pistons, cranks, pipes, carbs, jetting, etc. Of course there is eBay and several different shops that sell parts, etc….

I owned and raced two RD350's years ago. Good solid bike, can be made to go fast, but it's not cheap!!! By the way, why not an RD400?

13. britx303

The main sprint class its going to be for allows air-cooled twins up to 350cc,so the 400 is out,although I was drooling over a few nice ones yesterday:(.I ended up with a stock '74 350 for a couple hundred bucks,so I dont need to do the topend swaps as mentioned. The guy has a ton of RD's at his shop,and he was willing to let go of this one just to make room in the garage/shop.Its all there and pretty darn clean,and low milage.Its just been sitting 2 years.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

Again, just a reminder to check with Lyn or Mark (RZRacer) or mgmark before you re-assemble for racing purposes. There are lots of ways to tune these RD's and lots of ways to ruin them too! Best wishes!

15. britx303

Yeah,I dont want a short-fuse time bomb,so any help appreciated. I havent started stripping it yet anyhow. Thanks Charles

16. britx303

Are there any race cams for the RD?:D Sorry,couldnt help myself

17. charles

charles The Transporter

No, none made lately, but we do stock 'power bands' in case you need them, as they often break and get worn out from overuse, heat, and vibration.

18. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

You wont need it after you swap ignitions. You will need the red powerband though, not the yelllow one....

:crackup:

19. charles

charles The Transporter

Send me a PM if you need any assistance.

20. britx303

SHOOT!! I was hoping for the yella' one. I like all my yammis yella.There goes that plan.:D And yes,im going to be like a giddy little girl until I get this done:crackup: Its going to be a loooong winter for my poor wife