1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rapes and more

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by lrrs517, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And he's a bit creepy... :D

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Add :

Marshall Faulk
    Heath Evans
    Ike Taylor
    Donovan McNabb
    Eric Davis
    Warren Sapp

to the list... accused today. Some suspended. Some suspended by a different employer!

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just to be clear, very few companies really care about paying ui. It’s a general cost of doing business, and a minor one at that. Heck, there’s often times no winning b/c the ALJ’s look for reasons TO pay, regardless. Now, lawsuits are a whole different deal. That said, you could very legally term for an accusation, especially in an at-will employment state. That’s the very definition ... either side can separate for any reason, or no reason at all. It simply can’t be based on a protected class. Legally, I could walk in the middle of the shop, spin around in a circle with eyes closed and pointing, and just fire whoever I’m pointing at when I stop.

Now, in the case of a potential harassment suit, yes, an investigation will be done, generally, as part of the company policy on handling allegations of such. And you’re correct in that it’s generally a policy fail that gets them. However, it’s to protect the organization in a suit ... not any concern about unemployment. Those are two TOTALLY different things. Lawsuit loss - potentially millions. UI - paying for it regardless.

That being said, I still hate to pay ui, but that’s just because I’m hyper-competitive.

4. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Every single company I have ever worked for has fought tooth and nail not to pay that. But - anecdotal evidence gets us no where.

And yes - our lawyer is probably more worried about actual law suits. But the shit fit I see thrown when someone files is pretty comical :D

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

They’re wasting their time. Again, ui stands for unemployment insurance. You don’t have a choice but to pay for it. The more ui claims you pay, the higher your rate, but it’s still capped at a low percentage with a minor impact in actual cost. Again, I’ll typically fight them, but they have zero to do with legality. Decisions will regularly come back as approving unemployment even though it was a valid business decision. I actually have an appeal hearing next Wed, but just because I don’t like to lose. That’s more personal than business driven. :D

No lawyer I’ve ever worked with in 15 years in HR has ever given 2 shits about ui claims. They’re minor and not worth an attorney’s time. I can honestly say I’ve never once discussed a ui claim with an attorney. If that’s an attorney’s focus, the company would be better off to just pay the increased ui amount and save the money they’re wasting on that attorney’s wages.

6. CausticYarn

I suppose they don’t talk to me about motives. And I doubt it’s the attoutney’s focus - but that’s how it comes off. Maybe just work for another type A that has to win :)

Still doesn’t negate the fact that people don’t just get fired on accusations that cannot be backed up properly.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Has Mario Batali been added?

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Certain things are automatically creepy and Crocs are one. Tommy Bahama shirts, youth ministers, and hanging out at playgrounds while childless also creep me out.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And Governor Mumbles appoints Lt Guv Tina Smith to fill out the (maybe) vacated Senate position of Al Franken. Pending Franken's resignation. Maybe resignation. To be determined...

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

How long until the TSA gets added to the list?

11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago and there were dogs and handlers everywhere...it was glorious. Each dog was likely trained for various purposes and all of them got a 2-4 passes on each passenger while we waited in line. It was very efficient and I have no doubt much more effective than the bs we typically go through. For all my travel though, I have only seen this a handful of times (Ohare, LAX and Atlanta)

12. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

Clients sometime ask me about ui claims. 99% of the time I dissuade them from engaging me to represent the company in ui claims based upon financial reasons. The other 1% engage me to stomp out the ex-employee on "principle." Principle pays well.

Yzasserina and Funkm05 like this.
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sounds to me like its just a matter of time before someone files sexual harassment charges against a dog.

14. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Doggy style and Mississippi Leg Hound ain't a laughing matter

:crackup:

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Simmons is going to get hammered for that

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wonder how long you will lable the dogs as being racist.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My son got fired over this shit would you like to talk with him? And it was Walmart that fired him, do you think they might have been sued a time or two hundred thousand?

How about Tavis Smiley, you want to talk to him?
    This is a wealthy, powerful, well-known person (and complete asshole) who got exactly the treatment that you're so positive doesn't happen.

tavis smiley text.png

Men have no protection at all when they are accused.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Can you cite any examples where this has happened?

20. CausticYarn

Where what, specifically has happened?

And yeah - after you cite all the shit I ask you for and you conveniently ignore.

Two anecdotal experiences does not make a factual argument. It never will. But - if you want to go anecdotal: When a male superior rubbed his junk over my female employee’s ass while she was bent over a box, under the guise of “trying to get by her” - I couldn’t do shit about it because there was no evidence - only her word. My boss at work when I was 17 flirted with me relentlessly and made comments about me turning 18 all the time - I was intimidated by it and needed the job and there was really no one to bring the complaint to. So I sat there being uncomfortable and wondering how far he would take it when I did turn 18.
    It happens like that more often than men get fired.

I know quite a bit about HR guidance laws in my own state from being in management for the last ten years. I HAVE to know how to treat situations or risk getting my own ass fired.

So, you can back down now. When you start citing actual data on how many men are fired on mere uninvestigated accusations - then I will have further conversation on this topic.