1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing in Rain, first time any advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by 05Yamabomber, Oct 22, 2018.

1. khill

khill Well-Known Member

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

I can believe 41 pod cast and more hearing your raspy voice Ken. LOL. :D

Pitmom42 likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

[QUOTE="05Yamabomber, post: 5414360, member: 24771"So I have a target lap time in practice to make sure Im competitive in the race (Dry).[/QUOTE]

I might have missed it but what classes are you running??

4. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Plus, if you have paid for rain tires and have them on hand, it will almost always guarantee that it will stay dry all day. :D

My son used to race with OMRRA. The tweener days were the worst. He's done them all and all out rain (or dry) is the best. Drying tracks suck and will burn up rains in no time.

TLR67 and G 97 like this.
  5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Thanks Ken. That was a good listen.

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I might have missed it but what classes are you running??[/QUOTE]
    Senior Superbike (Expected rain Friday)
    A Superbike (Expected dry Saturday)
    A Superstock (Expected dry Saturday)

7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

For sure. Murphys law. I told everyone my pregnant wife was having a girl and sure enough it was a boy!

8. Robby-Bobby

Senior Superbike (Expected rain Friday)
    A Superbike (Expected dry Saturday)
    A Superstock (Expected dry Saturday)[/QUOTE]

For the “A” classes expect the top 3 in the 29’s
    For senior superbike probably the same from BE.

Your first time at Barber, if you learn tracks fast and can get into the 33’s I would say that’s decent.

If you’re really fast then 31’s will be good.

If you’re in the 29’s your first time there then you need to sign up for MA Stock 1000

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I am in Novice, and based on my competitions times this year the local winner was doing 1:33-1:34. That was my target in dry practice. I have come up to speed pretty quick this year at new tracks to be 2-3 seconds off the leading experts. The rain is gonna hamper things. I still need to get out there and learn so the wet it is... Thanks for the input for sure.

10. Robby-Bobby

My bad don’t realize novice. So yea anything under 35’s will be good. Try to follow a few guys. There’s lots of spots to make up and lose time there with so much blindness.

Sometimes there are really fast novices but if you can get in the 34’s you have a good shot to win some stuff.

11. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Not quite. Sportsman grids are based on your position in the region, not points. All number 1s, then 2s etc. Random pick from all the 1s.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Do not drill holes in your bodywork!

TLR67 and Sabre699 like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the amount of rain but overall the answer is yes. Sprinkles on your shield won't actually affect the track so keep an eye on the corner workers, they'll get the debris out and point up if it starts getting to where the dots connect on the track.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're not based on total points. That would be unfair to riders in regions with less rounds. They are based on points position in class (aka ppic). So using 5 regions, first in each region gets the first two rows of the grid with the specific place being random, second place in each in the next two rows and so on down the line. Of course since there are rider in multiple regions and people who don't make it that does get condensed, the 2 rows thing is purely an example. You get gridded on your highest ppic if you have points in multiple regions in a single class.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Right now the rain will blow out overnight Thursday night so doubtful on wet during racing Friday.

Monsterdood and TLR67 like this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

My bad. A couple of other race orgs require it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most I'll do is remind people repeatedly to empty their belly pans before going out on a dry/drying track. Other than that we haven't had an issue with bikes collecting water and dumping it again in the rain.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am trying to figure out the feasibility at our level of rain lights, love those things.

Pitmom42 and G 97 like this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

does.not.compute...

deepsxepa, Phl218 and TLR67 like this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Stay off rumble strips and painted- or tar-lines and you will be alright.

05Yamabomber likes this.