1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing in Rain, first time any advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by 05Yamabomber, Oct 22, 2018.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Looks like there is going to be rain at GNF this year. Living in the West coast rain is just something we rarely have to deal with over here. Any tips on rain tires or softening suspension? How long to the tires typically last if it is a constant wet track? Any advice would be appreciated. When do guys switch to DOTs? Is that all part of the gamble?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If it's actively raining then slap some rains on...set the pressures higher than you would run your slicks or DOT. Rains need the additional pressure to keep the sipes open to work effectively. Don't worry about softening the suspension. No need in changing multiple variables just to go get wet. ride a little smoother and be a little more gentle on the brakes and gas but otherwise just ride the bike.

If it is not actively raining it gets trickier as too little water on the surface won't keep a full rain cool enough to not destroy it. Those are DOT conditions...certainly if a dry line starts to show up.

Sabre699 and 05Yamabomber like this.
  3. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Do DOT race tires make that much of a difference over slicks in such conditions? Or are we talking more of a road tire?

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Get a set of brand new rains. Should last you entire event if always wet.
    Get pressures from tire dude and check them often.
    Take a couple clicks out and soften springs a bit.
    Drill small drain hole in lower bodywork.
    Employ some level of helmet shield fog control either chemically or through breath deflection or both.
    Rain X on helmet shield.
    Get a plastic/rain upper over leathers.
    Try to keep bike more upright/reduce lean as much as practical etc.
    Keep inputs smooth.
    Have fun.
    Win.

5. Venom51

I refer to DOTs as the race equivalent of the street tire which would have grooving for DOT approval purposes. However in damp conditions with no active rain the street tire would likely be even better than the DOT race tire. Rains are just that...super soft, low temp and full of grooves. Slicks are slicks and are never referred to as DOTs.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Ditto on all above. also Wrap a zip tie around the lower part of your helmet to keep the visor from closing... this will prevent from fogging..

Kyle Brosius and Steady T like this.
  7. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

ditto on the upright and the visor...tried to just crack the throttle at moderate lean...poof highside... you can drag knee tho the grip is amazing if suspension is good(my rear was terrible stock shock with stiff spring)

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You can haul ass on rains. Way faster than you think.

badmoon692008 and BJR119 like this.
  9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Awesome advice as always. Do you use tire warmers on rain tires? Im thinking no cause I dont think it matters that they heat up but figured I would ask.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No warmers. At least on Michelins.

11. Venom51

No need for warmers on rains.

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Soften up everything from your suspension to your throttle and brake inputs.

Consult your tire guy on pressures.

Basically rain riding is all about “feel” amplified moreso than anything.

Don’t be afraid if the bike moves around. Embrace that and let her slide!

Take it from a dirt tracker. Rain is FUN!

13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Looks like Thursday, Friday rain. Saturday is good to go, but I dont know the track so need to practice Thursday in rain, practice Friday morning in rain and race Friday afternoon in rain (last race). Hopefully a set of rains will last that session then we can go back to slicks on Saturday. Super pumped making the trip over from the West Coast to participate this year.

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I guess I will try out that rain mode on the R1 also.. The rear moving doesnt bother me too much but just no experience on where that trust ends on the front end at lean, or hard on brakes upright. No trail braking makes sense.

15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

think establish footprint and smoooooth on brakes and turning... dont try this first time out

jd96, Sundaydisco, 5axis and 5 others like this.
  16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol if you get comfy you can trail brake in the rain.

Lots people over think it and ride scared and timid. They are the ones in the back or wrecked

G 97 likes this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would like to add that there is still a good chance of no wet stuff during race time at Barber.. Leeds forecast is as reliable as a frame slider on Crutchlow’s bike...

Killswitch and 05Yamabomber like this.
  18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Haha. You have that right. Yesterday was sunny every day, today its shit Thursday Friday... Ive been watching it too much. Need to just deal with whatever happens when we are there. I would say Crashlows frame slider is the hardest working person on his team!

Robby Bobby, you make it sound so easy! I saw your success you just had over there. Good job and appreciate the tips for sure. From all you guys. Where do you guys get that little one-sy diaper looking thing you put over your leathers to keep em dry? I have no time left unless i can pick them up somewhere or they sell them locally in Bama.

19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes that video is epic riding.. Doesnt phase him.

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You know those lines painted on the track?

Those lines become forbidden territory when racing in the rain. Stay off of them.