1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

racetech and fox owners - sound off...

Discussion in 'General' started by wahaut79, Jul 11, 2002.

1. wahaut79

wahaut79 Well-Known Member

i'm in need of some feedback from owners of race-tech forks or fox TC shocks and what setup you run (oil weight, height, preload, comp & rebound settings, etc) so that i can get my bike dialed in right. especially on the forks. i have the correct setup for my height and weight, but the front end seems really soft, almost worse than stock. any input, advice, or opinions would be appreciated.
    thanks.

2. amaner

amaner will do math for food

my opinion:
    traxxion dynamics

:)

3. wahaut79

yeah...i know.
    but when you consider i paid a total of $50 for these forks........
    my NEXT bike will be done by traxxion....but, for now...

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"Correct" according to whom?

Is your static sag correct?

Is your rider sag correct?

Are you holding your breath during corner entrances?

Are you carbo-loading on Saturday night?

Did you take out the trash?

BTW, the second key from the bottom on the left makes some of the letters become caps and sentences much easier to read...

5. wahaut79

thanks

I have the suspension set up as per race-tech's recommendations.
    However, I do not feel as though these are correct.
    Therefore, I am asking for help.
    If you don't like my typing, then don't read it.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Re: thanks

Appears your sense of humor is out of adjustment as well. Reckin' I can't help you much then.

7. wahaut79

smilies would help :D

sorry, it was late and i had just been out riding...and the bike feels like shiot. i'm going to start from scratch. i'm gonna run new oil and check everything as i rebuild. we'll see what happens.

8. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

What are you going to change? Give some data first then try to fix it. Just shooting from the hip is a hard way to get to the bottom of the problem. What is the main thing you are having problem with? As mentioned earlier what are the sag numbers. spring rates ect.get the spring right then worry about the rebound and compression.

9. wahaut79

huff,
    i'm going to start from scratch - going back to the baseline settings (including sag) as recommended by race-tech. from there, i'll start writing things down and making some changes to see what happens...

10. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Didn't know Race-tech made forks.:rolleyes:

11. wahaut79

you know what i mean!!!
    jeez, you guys are harsh!!!!:D :D :D

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

No, your suspension is harsh....

remember???

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

13. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

As suggested before... Traxxion. Call em and ask what they can do and how much. Best money you will spend on your bike.

14. wahaut79

traxxion will get my next set of forks...i promise...i just don't have the money to send anything out right now.
    FWIW, i guess the reason i posted was that i was hoping for some feedback on race-tech's recommendations versus real world results. on another board, someone mentioned running 10W oil (rather than 5W) to stiffen up the front end. i just wondered what other riders came up with after tweaking their forks....whether they found that the recommended settings worked best, or something else.
    i also tore the forks apart today (completely) and discovered one possible problem. the left compression damper shims were bent up on one side, and the blockoff plate was jammed open against the top of the valve....that would explain the lack of compression. so, i'm waiting for new bushings (figured i might as well do it all) and then i'll get them back together and see what happens.
    thanks for the input....keep it coming!

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

5wt might well be a tad thin.

What do you weigh, with ALL your race gear on?

16. wahaut79

figure 190 lbs. bike dry weight is 403.

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Hmmmmmmm. Methinks 5wt is more than a bit thin. At 220 w/all my gear, 20wt is just a touch harsh in the SV and 15wt is too light. So, I've got to either gain some weight back :rolleyes: or mix my own 17.5 wt.

I know comparing the SV to your Honduh is apples and horse apples, butt I think you get the idea.

18. wahaut79

Horse apples, eh? We'll see about that...
    Thanks for the input. I guess that's what i was after...what is the baseline oil weight your SV is supposed to use??? that'll give me a better idea what i'm gonna run.
    Again, thank you for helping me out so much. Time to go back to adjusting my valves.
    :Puke:

19. Philip_37

Philip_37 No soup for you!

Apples and Oranges

The SV uses a damping rod fork while your F2 has a cartridge fork. So using recommend fork oil for an SV in your F2 is not a good idea.

Most cartridge forks are happy with 5w to 7.5w oil. Using heaver oil will stiffen the damping but it is no the best route. Changing the shim stack is the was you should adjust the damping in a cartridge fork.

To the fella with the SV: With race tech emulators installed changing the fork oil weight is used to control the rebound damping while the emulator can be adjusted to give the compression damping that you want. With correct springs for your weight I doubt that you will have enough rebound damping with 15 or even 20w oil. 25w to 30w should be about right and if the bike seems to have too much compression damping you can simply adjust the emulator.

20. wahaut79

phillip,
    thanks for the info. i'll probably give 5W a shot then. i can always change it later!