1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 engine question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Boman Forklift, Jul 5, 2012.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sourcing a known good used motor is a chore. Plus the sellers will always do the "ya ya" bullshit. Then there is the transport aspect.
    Mine got shipped with all the care and loving of a baby seal hunter. 150lb engine on a 10lb pallett. YMMV of course. :p

Damn RM is kicking my ass all over the place. Plus the guy is a known good builder and all around standup guy! :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

yeah... I'm seeing that a lot. Kind of wish I had researched a bit more before I went and bought one, but too late now. I'm used to my CBR... make sure there's oil and gas in it and run it. I might end up just parting this thing out and starting over with something else.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

BUT, when built right, the R6 is THE weapon of choice.. :)

4. tittys04

Yeah... since my last comment I think I have changed my mind and decided to do a ss build. There's so much potential there, I really would like to see what it's capable of, firsthand. :up:

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

It's gret platform to swap around stuff. I like the 06 frame better so I had that then I sold my personal engine and bought a turd high mile "slow" 08 engine from one of my own racers. This engine had 6 owners! Tonsss miles and at one point made only 106hp with graves works pipe and BPD tuned pump. I took it serviced, changed to GOOD oil, installed SD plugs, tuned via my YEC ecu on vp gas, 08 box no varible stack bs (novice is ehatever ss or sbk) 08 tank/pump and few other lil tricks and this same "turd" written off engine made 117hp on my dyno! Tuning and gas gave me 13 hp...I raced last month at 190lbs & 6' but everyone swore it was "built" I laughed. The engine builders NEVER have time to build our owns. Like Rick says the TUNING IS KEY!!!

I was blown away at Laguna talking with chris at dyno jet at how poorly some big name guys bikes/engines ran. Like he said most them just aren't mapped(tuned) right!

Here's video of me white/neon yellow #745 (laugh at my lines for fun but my 1st race after being at track 20+ years..Id rather build em but I promised Peter I would one day actually race once) take a look at the back straight remember I'm 6' 190lbs/no gear. Other R6 built/tuned engine by competitor and rider is much smaller....it's all about the tuning... 1:35 if ya don't wanna bore yourself

Point is most us engine guys will tell you a STOCK engine tuned properly will be faste than a poorly tuned built one!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Yqlb-WFukwk

6. tittys04

So... what was the reason you changed from the 06 tank/pump to the 08 tank/pump? Could you not have used the 06, or was the 08 just a slight improvement over the 06, performance-wise?

7. MELK-MAN

you can't use a 06/07 tank on the 08+ due to the variable velocity stacks.. they require the air box to be taller (and is why you can NOT mix/match 06-07 upper injectors with 08+), and you wouldn't be able to fit the 06-7 tank over an 08+ airbox.. the pump is different due to the connector at the bottom, 6-7 is pointing straight down and 08+ is angled.

It's interesting how Ed likes the 06-07 stiffer frame .. Being a smaller rider myself, as many are, that frame was just stupid stiff. Just shows there are different strokes for different folks.

8. tittys04

See... that's what I'm a little confused about. The 08+ having variable stacks makes sense, but Ed said that he used the 08 box, but "no variable stack bs", so if he didn't use the variable stacks, why use the 08+ box? Couldn't he just have used the 06-07 box?

Sorry for all the n00b questions... but I just got this bike and had almost zero seat time before it went poof... so now I'm trying to figure it all out with very little knowledge of it.

Werd...

9. MELK-MAN

no idea, can't speak for Ed, but there is over 10hp difference in the midrange of the 06-07 vs the 08+ and with the motors basically exactly the same.. it's all variable v-stacks that give the midrange the "awesomeness" we all came to love from the 05, that went missing on the 06-07. In the dyno chart below, there is SEVENTEEN hp difference in the 06 vs an 05r6. Strange.. but true. It was painfully evident when you jumped on the 06, even with a ss build. Now, was the bike a better overall package than even a good 05?? Most would say yes..
    And with ALL due respect to Ed, he is likely one of only a handful of good riders that would choose an 06-07 vs. an 08+ r6. :)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. tittys04

Interesting. So you're not saying I can't use an 08+ motor and 06 air box (physically), you're saying I could use an 08+ motor and 06 air box together, but I the motor won't have the mid range power every other 08+ has, correct? Meaning... they will physically mate up, but it will make similar power as an 06 rather than an 08+. Did I understand that correctly? Thank you for the help, seriously.

11. MELK-MAN

you can use ANY motor in ANY frame from 06 on. The motor isn't the variable. It's the v-stacks and airbox, tank, etc. that all have to stay together.
    I have an 07 motor in one of my 08 frames. I have a spare 08 motor, if i sold it, anyone with any r6 from 06 on could use it.

12. tittys04

So I can use an 08 motor in my 06 frame with EITHER:

• all 06 parts (stacks, airbox, tank, pump)
    • all 08 parts (stacks, airbox, tank, pump)

But not with a mixture of the two, correct? I've got my eye on an 08 motor and just want to be 100% clear.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

tittys, correct.

14. tittys04

I didn't feel like this questions was worthy of a new thread, and I'm sure it's here somewhere but I couldn't find it. Since I've kind of jacked this thread already, why not add to it? ;)

I'm assuming yes... but are 06-07 and 08+ wheels interchangeable? same spacers?

15. MELK-MAN

ALL wheels from 2003-current fit.
    ALL rotors will fit from 2005-current. in 06-07 i think they went to 4.5mm and were not as durable imo. and went back to 5mm in 08-current.
    search shoulda come up with all kinds of "what r6 wheels" threads.

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yes, completely identical.

Edit: Ninja'ed by melk, apparently not completely identical.

17. tittys04

yeah... I fail at the search on this forum. I don't know why I always have such a hard time with it... it's like I ask the question and then immediately find 3 places where the question is answered. Thanks for the answer, Greg.

Edit: and Chris

18. ed who?

Im 190lbs and love the stiffer 06-07 chassis...chatter tells me what the front tire is doing at least :crackup:

I just swapped frames thou to my 09 and frankly it felt a bit "smoother" thru PIR's sweeper T2 that is very bumpy(only frame changed).. i think both frames work well thou and one is not worth buying the other..just run whatcha got. If you want an 08+ like frame on your 06-07..just cut out the bottom air filter base cross brace..or you can like some factory teams used to do, leave the top rear cylinder head bolts out ;)

tittys04... the 06-13' swap most everything..my personal R6 is a complete hybrid of parts from 2006, 2008, 2010, etc.. :beer:

19. ed who?

I run no stacks in my 08+ Box cause it works for me, my engine, my track. For SS you HAVE to run them so its a moot point if your doing prod or ss type racing. As for me like the 06-07 Frame Melk, yeah i like ZX7RR's too..so im kinda weird :D

20. MELK-MAN

no worries. you obviously have that r6 dialed in the way you like it. just you are for sure one of few that prefer that frame and lower triple .. LOL