1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 engine question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Boman Forklift, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have a friend I'm trying to help find an R6 motor. Will the 06-07 bolt up and work in the 08 and newer bikes? I remember reading older motors had more problems with lower end bearings, but that may have been before people started raising the idle on them?

TIA for any help.

2. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

yep.

3. Boman Forklift

Thx, so no real difference and his current electronics, fuel injection, etc. will bolt up?

4. ed who?

yep all bolts up. The 06 has different springs, pistons, rods, bearings, tensioner, etc but will work with the 08+ pipe, throttle bodies and wiring harness.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you go -1 on the low end bearing color for the 06-07 r6. once ya do that, issues are rare and no more of a problem than any other 16,000 screamer.
    08 went to a 13.1:1 comp pistion vs 12.8 or so for the 06-07

As said in earlier posts.. you can not tell the diff from the outside, and ANY 3rd gen r6 motor (06 r6r +) will fit in any 3rd gen frame. As long as you just swap MOTORS your ok.. remember Rob, the 08 has variable stacks and the harness, ecu, v-stacks, tank, etc. are not compatible.
    Lots of prior threads on this stuff too if ya want more info asap.

6. Boman Forklift

Thank you Melk-man. So if I tell him as long as he uses all the 08+ electronics, and properly adjusts bearings, there is no downside. If he has it SS built, will it make the same horsepower, or is that slight difference in compression costing something?

7. MELK-MAN

Ed or RM would be the ones to defer to on that.. If ya do a proper ss build, with a bit thinner gasket, your gonna get some additional compression i think? but not sure how all that stuff works. Would anyone but a top 10 AMA pro rider feel the diff in 2 equal supersport builds, with the only diff being a 12.8:1 piston vs. 13.1:1 pistons? not likely :)
    Cam timing is key.. ya need good numbers. and good mapping.

8. ed who?

Rob you have competed against a few of my R6's and some are actually 06-07's... just make sure to always plastigauge the bearings, i use the updated 08+ springs/pistons/tensioner, etc. I see the same hp from 06-11 basically in the engine builds (the bikes make "different" power due to airbox differences thou)

You can tell the stock 06 from the 08+ by the tensioner..the 06-07 has the long one (sticks out) and the 08+ is a flush one.

Melk i use stk head gaskets, have better luck with them (unless guy is doing top end only build then no choice) but the 08+ pistons IMO are much better...but your right the cam timing is CRITICAL on these, everyone has their numbers..but the biggest thing is the tuning..HOW its mapped (fuel and ignition) that really sets the R6's apart from each other.

9. MELK-MAN

any input on where to source a 2mm over r6 head gasket? we get our .024-025 clearance with the mid layer out of a OEM gasket with mid layer removed, but it is a pain grinding the 4 holes 2mm over.. we restrict the oil passage on one side with a main jet sealed into the head

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Cometic makes a 70mm gasket. Cometic gaskets tend to be less reliable. You should torque them at least twice, this helps. You can have them machined as well, I do this with Hayabusa and GSXR oversize gaskets.

Unless the tensioner has been updated - then look to see if the head has a serial number on the exhaust side - that's an 08-09.

11. ed who?

yep like RM says Cometic make them in various thicknesses. I stock them. I haven't had any issues but you DO have to tq properly (multi step) and personally i coat mine as well. They do only last about 1 season thou.

yes RM tensioners do get updated but if someone is lookig to buy used online/from pics you typically can't see the serial number but the tensioner you can in pics easily for fast reference.

12. MELK-MAN

thanks guys.

13. Boman Forklift

Thanks for the education. Unfortunately, he missed out on the 06-07 motor.

14. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Ok, I know this has been talked about a lot on here, and I have searched for a couple hours on here trying to get an answer to this question before I ask, but I'm just not finding it. I've seen that the 08 motor will fit into an 06 frame just fine, but my question is what else needs to be replaced for it to work. I've seen some say 08+ motor will fit in 06-07 with the 08+ air box, ecu, and tank, but then I've also seen somewhere that the 08 tank won't fit in the 06 frame.

Reason for asking is I just popped my new to me 06 engine, 99.9% sure I spun a rod bearing. I'm trying to decide what to do with it (rebuild, replace the motor with 06, replace with 08+, or just part it out and cut my losses). I'm reluctant to just drop in another 06 because I don't want the same thing to happen 2 races in. An 08 engine could be a temporary fix while I build the motor, but I don't really have all the info I need to decide.

So if the 06 ECU isn't compatible with the 08, is the harness compatible? is it as easy as just swapping the ECU's, or do I have to find a new harness as well. Help is greatly appreciated.

15. MELK-MAN

ANY 06-07 motor will fit in ANY 08-up frame.. and ANY 06-07 frame will accept ANY 08-up engine.. If you are just swapping motors, nothing else, you don't do need to do any other changes. the motors for all intensive purposes are the same from 06-up. Ideally, find an 08 or newer as it has slightly higher compression pistons and the 1mm wider crank journals (something is 1mm wider down there.. )

16. tittys04

so my 06 throttle bodies/air box/ecu/etc etc will work on an 08+ motor, no other changes are required other than just dropping the 06 engine and popping in the 08+ engine?

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Correct.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes.

whoops... RM beat me. :D

19. tittys04

cool, thanks. not really sure that helps me decide what to do yet, but its good info to have. thanks again.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Making the R6 reliable can be tricky. Find someone with experience with that engine, especially if it's going to have increased compression.