1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions for you 2 stroke guru's

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by ToddClark, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yea, i just dont know what redline is, i know it gets to about 12K and its eyepopping fast!! But it sounds like its fixing to blow up. I need to see a manual and find out what redline is and what my shift points should be in each gear.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

2 strokes are the kewlest thing. It is designed to not over rev itself. It has to do with pipe and port settings, but it doesn't need a rev limiter since there are no valves to float and it will stop revving at some point.

Now on downshifts you can spin it way to fast, but it's not as bad as over revving a 4 stroke.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Yer gonna put yer eye out.
    So how much bail should I arrange? :D

4. stickboy274

They shouldn't be able to catch him unless he runs out of gas, or drives like a pansy

5. ToddClark

yea, downshifting rocks, its sooooooo smooth! no engine braking fer shit! LoL. I went around the neighborhood, playing "relatively safe", as i came down the street that leads to mine, i was hauling ass, banged 3 downshifts and turned onto my street, OMFG, i couldnt BELIEVE how hard this thing corners.

July 12 we have a school with Bargy at Tally. Lunch time is gonna be a friggin BLAST. :D

6. stickboy274

That's why I said, no matter how fast you have been around a corner, it just doesn't compare.

7. ToddClark

One thing i did notice tho, any imperfection in the road (read highspot of less than a damn inch), the seat of this thing drags the ground. It was dragging SO much, that my damn ass got hot!! The fiberglass seat is worn just about paper thin (not all of this was done by me this afternoon). I dont know wtf i can do to get the seat up higher. I dont wanna change the wheel size, but DAMN i gotta do something, the pavement is gonna be literally chewing my ass up next time i go out on it.

8. ToddClark

Oh, ive got a brand new set of Bridgestones slicks for it too. Derrick, 1) do you sell these things, and 2) do you have ANY clue what optimal pressure for them might be?

9. ToddClark

no, it doesnt, the cornerspeeds on this thing makes the bike feel like slow motion.

10. stickboy274

I'll try to find out some info on them.

See if you can shim the seat at it's mounting points.

11. ToddClark

And yea, thats what im looking at doing, i'll just have to re-drill the holes where it mounts up top on the sides, not a big deal.

12. ToddClark

Stick, i used some old frame slider pucks and shimmed the seat up about 2 1/2". MUCH bettah!! Now i just gotta shim it over a little bit cus the side of it is lightly rubbing the flywheel thingy. Went out this morning and terrorized the neighborhood again. Getting good and getting it shifted down to 2nd going into a 90 degree corner, turning, nailing the gas and lighting up the rear tires. Man this thing is hella fast/fun! Its also a blast rocketing down the straight, pull in the clutch, lock up the rear brake and spinning a 180. WOOHOO!! Somebody hold my beer!!!!! :crackup:

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you are ever going to race it, you probably will want the seat that low. On a race track my seat would scrape in several areas. Having the weight that low tends to make the kart work better for us older larger guys. I'm 180-190 and from what I heard you are an old big guy too. :)

If you get to a track and the kart wants to bicycle on you, lower the seat back down. Believe it or not, when you get a kart working properly you want it to corner on 3 wheels and lift the inside rear wheel as you go around corners. This free's up the kart since it has a solid rear axle. Moving that seat and also the wheels in and out are a major part of how you tune a karts suspension.

They are a lot of fun and it is amazing how quick an 80 or 125 is in a kart. The other cool thing is when you cross the line and make a mistake it usually doesn't result in a 1-2000 repair bill and a trip to the hospital, like bikes many times do.

14. ToddClark

old, but def. not big. Im 6' at 160 lbs. I only raised the seat up about an inch higher than what it was, SURELY that wouldnt change the C.O.G. enuff to notice?

I really need someone to look at the steering. It looks like one wheel turns sharper than the other, and if you try to turn the steering wheel too much one way or the other, its doing some goofy shit.

15. Boman Forklift

That's normal for the steering, it is called ackerman. That helps get the inside rear to lift up during cornering.

16. ToddClark

ahhh, makes sense.

Hey Rob, you got any idea what kind of pressures to run in the tires?

Bridgestones DR8 YHC slicks
    Rear: 11 x 7.10 - 5
    Front: 10 x 4.6 - 5

They were flat when i got it, i put 20psi in them cold (i dont have warmers for these things) but i had no idea if that was too much or not. The tire says not to exceed 4 bar, but 4 bar is 58psi. Damn that seems like ALOT!

17. RDmechanic87

RDmechanic87 New Member

Your oil fill cap is for the transmission. I personally recommend that after laying dormant for 3 years that you disassemble the clutch and clean the plates pretty thoroughly.

18. ToddClark

lol RD, didnt read the entire thread, eh? As mentioned, i did that. Pulled the cover, cleaned the plates, got the cart running and its an absolute blast to ride. Had to put a "stadium" seat cushion in it tho, damn hard fiberglass seat bruised my damn spine after just riding it around the neighborhood.

Cant wait to get it out on a racetrack somewhere. Still need to know what pressures to run in these lil tires tho.

19. Boman Forklift

Hey Todd,

It's been about 7 years and I'm over 40 :) so you know how my memory is, but we were running YGC's which is the previous version of the same SL spec tire and as I recall I ran them around 20-22lbs. I will say that if you are running regular compressed air you try and get about a 2lb rise out of the tires. Which means before you hit the track you measure the pressure and right after you get off the track you measure again and look for about the 2lb rise. Sometimes on a hot day it maybe more. I never ran Nitrogen, but the rise is only a 1lb or less from what I was told. You can then start adjusting the chassis and or the pressures to try and get them pretty even side to side when you come off the track. You may have different pressure front to back, but you try and get pretty even side to side

You also will want to scale the kart at some point if you race. The crude way I did it was with 4 bathroom scales, but you do need a helper and you need to preset the scales with a known weight to be semi-accurate. The idea here is you are trying to get pretty close on your side to side weight and you also can move lead on the seat around as well as the seat to get the %'s correct. You need to be sitting in the kart with wheels straight ahead and have your helper write down the weights. You will quickly see how a small turn of the wheel or head movement can make a huge difference to your weights.

You said, "moving the seat an inch can't do much", can really change the way the kart handles. When a kart is handling properly, it almost feels like it is on ice for the first lap or two and then gradually starts coming in. I preferred to have them setup to come in within the last few laps of the race.

I've never seen warmers on kart tires, as I believe they are not allowed in the rules for sprint karting. They maybe allowed on Superkarts, not sure.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  20. Boman Forklift

Another tip that doesn't seem correct is to lean to the outside on the corners. This helps unload the inside rear wheel. In a perfect world you want the kart to act like a tri-cycle through the corners. It may not always pickup the inside rear wheel on every corner, but it should at least un-weight it to free up the kart.