1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QUESTION : Synthetic or Blend :

Discussion in 'General' started by Kevin Crauswell, Jul 18, 2003.

1. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I put full synthetic in my new 97 4runner at the first change. Changed it every 10K for the first 80K miles or so, then every 20K. Last few changes have been around 30K. At 207,000 mi. the engine runs fine and looses less than a quart over 30K. Mostly highway mi. but I towed a 5000lb boat for about 20K and an MC trailer for about 30.
    FWIW

2. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Great. My friend won the CCS 2000 GT Lights SE regional championship running Piggly Wiggly oil. No joke.

3. As long as we're relying on anecdotes:

Couple of weeks ago a woman called in to NPR's "Car Talk." Her Toyota had 50K miles on it and she had NEVER changed the oil. Car still runs fine, she said.

So whatever Toyota's installing at the factory, that's the stuff to use! :p

4. Trickle X

Trickle X Instagram-regalmetalworks

If you dont tear you own motor down every-so-often, how the hell do you know whats happening on the inside of your motor. Just cause u change the oil & your motor styll turns over, doesnt mean that the differences between oils is nada.

I have personally scene the differnences in motor oils per engine wear. Remeber you guys arn't going for a Sunday ride. You r Ringing the PISS out of these things, & little things like oil viscosity plays a huge part in engine wear.

Dyno oil works best for ring settup, but synth works best for the least amount of wear. If you are tearing your shit down every so many weekends, then use whatever you want. You guys that have never tore down an engine or had one rebuilt, do whatever it takes to prevent excessive wear on your engine. Remeber there is alot of metal in there rotating at 14k revolutions per sec.

5. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Holy shit! I bet there is! Your engine probably turned into a big grenade at 20,000 rpm.....

(For anyone that doesn't want to do the math, Cole's engine seems to be good for 840,000 revolutions per minute.)

840k rpm....where do you get a tach that goes that high?!

Or does it say "X 10,000" in the middle?

:D

6. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

Wow that would impress even the Formula 1 folks... motorcycle technology has indeed made great leaps recently...

-peekay

7. Trickle X

Per minute...its late....I've been drinking....you will nitpick over a typo, but u say it doesnt matter what oil you run.....:rolleyes:
    c if u get n e beer @ Summit.....;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2003
  8. Sean Jordan

Ok, either drink, or post, but not both!

That last post still has me scratching my head....

9. Trickle X

Interpreted...see if you get any beer at Summit, Assuming that your comming for the national.....

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Last year at the Loudon Classic, the 4&6 Kawasaki sprung an oil leak and left a trail on the track. When I investigated for my report to race control, Jim Rashid told me that they were running a "hybrid" mix of synthetic/mineral oil. I PM'ed Jim on this board to find out why he did this, but never got a reply. Anybody got any ideas on this?

11. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

I go through a quart of oil for every 8 gallons of gas that I use...

:D

- Roach

12. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

Re: Re: QUESTION : Synthetic or Blend :

Mixing with mineral oil is cheaper than running full-synthetics; that's the only benefit I can see.

-peekay

13. Sean Jordan

I'd love to make the Summit national, but since I live 10 hours from Summit instead of 55 minutes like I used to, I prolly won't make it.

:(

14. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

i,ll tell you guys somthing about sythetic oils, i have run the odd track event over the years and i can tell you synthetic oil takes alot longer to clean up than mineral oils when its spilled down the track, dont ask me why, maybe somone can spill some light on that?

15. KevinVanceSalemVA

KevinVanceSalemVA Crazy Longhair Racin SOB

I have run Castrol GTX 20w-50 in my '95 6R since 1996 and have never had any engine or clutch problems. I change the oil and filter after most every race event. I just checked the compression on all 4 cylinders recently and all were within 10psi of each other. Readings were about 175 to 185, with specs. of 135 to 210 I think. The engine has never had any work done to it.
    Now I am no oil engineer, but results speak for themselves. Make your own judgement I suppose. Does anyone have any more compression readings with other oil types, brands, or weights?

16. limy_1

limy_1 Crash Starter

I guess I should have looked here yesterday.
    We were having this same discussion.

Just to stir up things add the API letter designations to the mix:D

For more informational reading on the subject go toAPI

or RoadBike magazine August 2003
    sorry no link.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2003