1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for the cops

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, May 29, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

2. I'm still LMAO'ing at "spanktasticofficers". :crackup:

3. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

Using a personal cellphone is a big no-no in our department. You use it, and it can be subpoenaed...and all the personal info can become admissible in court. Contact the department...

wsmc 589, Capitalview and XFBO like this.
  4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I take all the hot chicks I pull over's pics! Common practice

Ok so I don't pull anyone over lol. Yeah not normal to do that for any reason.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

They might. Hopefully not though. If it is legit then cool. If it is some guy using his authoritay to perv out less cool. If they tell me to go away i will assume the latter and pursue it further. I usually stick up for the cops but this one feels different. I know it could just be because it is my kid though. Like i said, hopefully they will talk to me and it will become a non issue.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

not to make you paranoid dad... but i dated a chick in my late 20's, got pulled over once, young dude cop got all flirty with her, let her out of her speeding ticket... then dude just started like, rando dropping by her house like all super-casual like, "hey i was in the neighborhood, just making sure you're having a good day." happened before i started dating her, but it happened like half a dozen times, and she got him to go away by being kinda stern (luckily)... but dude didn't even ask for her number, he just like snagged her addy from her DL/ticket and took it upon himself. there's some creepers out there for sure.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Damn Sweaty. What did i ever do to you? Like i need to think about this more on the plane. I am just glad i am on my way home and will be there for 2 weeks. If Barney Fife shows up at my door i will have no problem telling him to go harrass someone else...

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

my bad man... my bad... i'm sorry. just sayin', your post brought back a memory. sorry. :(

crashman likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Just dogging you man. I am not too concerned. 30 years in the oil industry may have given me a bit of a warped sense of humor. I just hope the cops fo not decide to play "who is the biggest asshole" because that is a game i am pretty good at...:D

10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Taking pictures on your personal phone is extremely discouraged because it is discoverable however, some officers still do it for court purposes. Taking her picture in and of itself is not a violation as the traffic stop is considered a public incident. Hence the reason body camera videos can be easily subpoened and your daughter could have just as easily legally filmed the officer as well. I can't remember the last time we had an officer do something similar and stalk and/or pic trade if that's the issue your insinuating.

cajun636 and XFBO like this.
  11. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

If he used his personal phone that throws up all kinda red flags. A call to his desk sgt or IA is needed.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, if he's using his personal phone for his own notes, she didn't have to cooperate with that part of the stop, yes? "You want to take my pic? Fine, you can do so with the window up as I drive away."

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am not insinuating anything yet. I am trying to understand if there is a valid reason he decided to snap a photo though. Legal or not it is unprofessional if he is snapping perv pics on duty.

14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I understand your reasoning as a father however, if you do decide to take the action further consider this. If IA questions the officer and he has a valid reason, they are not required to tell you the details of the interview as it's considered a confidential personnel issue. If you decide to take civil action for whatever reason you deem appropriate, your daughter may be required to submit her phone as well. Not sure you want to open that can of worms, just realize it may open your daughter up to more harm then the original issue is worth

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Why would the daughter have to submit her phone? That makes zero sense.

It sounds very odd to me. I'm a professional at receiving traffic citations, and I've never had my picture taken.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If your picture were on a milk carton the world would develop lactose intolerance... :Poke:

:p

XFBO likes this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Yeah, I'm not buying her phone being pertinent. Should she have to show the court what's in her closet and under her bed too?

Capitalview and JBraun like this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That hurts man. I was even wearing a clingy top...

pickled egg likes this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

WTF!!!! What worms could his daughter possibly be afraid of by opening by pursuing this matter? My daughter and I would investigate this incident to determine this officer's intentions.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

What "court purposes"?

The whole thing sounds shady. You're not taking my pic with your personal cell phone during a simple traffic stop, I don't give a shit what the law says or your supposed professional intentions are.

I can't believe there is people in here trying to justify this as normal behavior. I can understand if her drivers license didn't have her pic, but AFAIK it did, right?

Also, did the officer explain why he was taking her pic? Cause a simple explanation could have gone a long way.

Last edited: May 30, 2017