1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA - Electronic Parking Brakes SUCK

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, May 9, 2019.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I would say she got a free life lesson. We all do, I'm sure on a daily, weekly or monthly basis at least? The parking brakes are fine. Put the damn dog in the back seat, or tie it to the bumper Clark.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Engineering and mandating equipment to keep idiots safe from themselves and possibly clear of inducing unsafe conditions for others leads to the dumbing down of all involved that have to utilize that product.
    I say these "idiots" need to prove their ability to use the product, sans nanny-state intervention features, or they don't get a pass (operator's license).

3. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

The exception that proves the rule - Chevy Astro van / GMC Safari. Full ladder frame, RWD and a class III hitch that won't pull the rear end off.
    My wife's comment was that most minivans were people haulers that could be set up for cargo, while the Astro was a cargo hauler that could be set up for passengers.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

The Ford Aerostar was RWD also...the Navy had a few when I was TAD (Temporary Additional Duty or Traveling Around Drunk...both acronyms fit) assigned to Little Creek during a "snow storm" (3/4" in VA Tidewater area was a imminent disaster waiting to happen...

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um... in what remote scenario were the designers thinking that is a viable idea? Ive never had to pull a lever mounted ebrake due to distrust of the driver...lol. Can you imagine if that feature was employed on public buses?? Not trusting the (professional) driver to stop...bing screeech...hahaha

6. TurboBlew

Which issues? The ones where extensive diagnostic showed driver error? What is wrong with a progressive lever style ebrake thats been reliable for 5 decades or more??

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Doesn't cost $8000 to repair outside of warranty to get your annual inspection sticker...

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yes, the one where people in automatic transmission'd cars kept crashing due to stuck gas pedals from floor mats because they could neither pull the mat back or put the transmission into neutral with a single tap forward of the shifter.

As for the problem with the regular ebrake, it has many more components to the system, meaning it costs more to put on the car, which is less profit.

9. TurboBlew

having given more thought to the push button... I have purposely activated the. just to see...lol. One time I wasnt the driver so that was kind of funny.
    I guess a solenoid connected a circuit board then to the calipers could be cheaper than a foot or hand mechanical...