1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA - Electronic Parking Brakes SUCK

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, May 9, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

He never got it into park. He thought it was and went to get out of the vehicle. When it started rolling backwards he probably lost his footing and didn't get out of the way.

He then got pinned between a brick wall/mailbox and the vehicle, and asphyxiated.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I take it 15yrs ago you were buying cars from Eitheopia or something to have all that 60's technology?

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I can't remember yesterday, but I damn sure remember cars from the 60s and 70s. I was being more than a bit sarcastic. If I ever win the lottery, Imma get one of those '66 Mustang replicas with modern drive train and electronics.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Minivans are real vans. Just mini. They take lots of people and stuff. And holds much more than an " SUV "of equivalent footprint

Now get off my lawn
    Sent from my smatrfone

baconologist likes this.
  5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

SUVs are just a different shaped station wagon.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Minivans are what you get when you've been thinking with the little head and end up with a boatload of kids.

Marid2apterbilt and rd49 like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Which makes them worse since more people in less room means less space per person.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...one kid, had minivans since the mid-90s. Comfortable for travel, large enough to sleep in, sliding doors make loading simple, and with proper motivation, you can engage the whims of the little head in relative comfort.

9. bored&stroked

Look, if it doesn't have RWD and a real frame, its not an SUV or van or truck. They are all just weirdly shaped big sized station wagons.
    So mini vans are not real vans.
    Ridgelines are not real trucks.
    New explorer's are not real SUV's.

But nobody cares. As long as they have nav screens that literally nobody pays to update, and parking sensors they don't repair after a rock chip to the paint over a sensor makes it whig out, people will pay absurd amounts of money for new vehicles.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Cars need to start and run and shift and stop. Lights and heat A/C maybe a radio.
    All the other shit you will someday regret that YOU allowed to happen when they outlaw vehicles operated by humans.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Back on topic the electric parking brake could use a bit of refinement, which I'm sure it will get. Perhaps already has for all I know. My stepson's girlfriend was driving her VW Jetta one day with her small dog on her lap looking out the window. Suddenly and without warning the dog jumped forward and his paw happened to hit the parking brake button. The brake engaged, stopping the car very quickly in the middle of traffic and most certainly would have resulted in a collision had the driver behind her not been ... an above average driver.

This damaged the brake system and left the car pretty much undriveable until it was repaired (not cheaply either). The fact that the original designers of this system hadn't built-in some reasonable safeguard against accidental deployment seems at least negligent in my opinion.

12. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

New systems are designed to allow passenger to stop the car in case of driver emergency.

Oh shit grandpa is stroking out!!! Push the brake button.

In a newer BMWs pulling the ebrake switch at speed kills the throttle completely and engages all four brakes full power with antilock operation.
    Never heard if one damaging
    anything when operated.

I too miss a good old manual ebrake slide though

BigBird and bored&stroked like this.
  13. bored&stroked

After the toyota throttle issues you will always be able to use the emergency brake in emergency's. Or in non emergency's. VW will tell you to strap your dog down. Which you should.

14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

A minivan is the unholy conception between a full-sized van and a typically uninspired station wagon (Ford Tempo, Chevy Celebrity, you pick) that gained popularity for people who wanted to become a bus driver but lacked either the vehicle control or the ability to hold their liquor.

Kids today should be riding, unbelted, in the back of either a real station wagon (Roadmaster, LTD, Caprice) being slammed into the roof on back country roads or their fingers clutching at painted surfaces in the back of a unupholstered delivery van with tires squealing for traction on exit ramps...

Minivan...responsible for raising pussies who can't take a hit and need a "safe place"... They probably furthered the decline of Western Civilization.

MGM, ChemGuy and bored&stroked like this.
  15. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Mine only works if you pull up on the button. Down disengages the brake.

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

You racing vintage now?

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That and in most current cars the engine is not allowed to over power the brakes even if it is physically capable of doing so with out some override performed by the driver.

18. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Let us not forget that the first Chrysler mini vans were built on the K car platform.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Except if you drive a manual car.

Sent from my smatrfone

20. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Or maybe not have the damn dog in her lap while driving,just a thought.

badmoon692008 and cav115 like this.