1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator 3500

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, May 25, 2020.

1. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I was at an event this weekend and they were using the predator. Holy crap that thing was quiet. I’m certainly that’s just as quiet as any Honda or Yamaha. Very impressive.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  2. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

had one about 10 feet away last weekend running 2 sets of warmers all day and never noticed it running

3. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

I'd definitely think it would be quiet enough to use at the track in the evening! Without load it's whisper quiet and does increase like the rest of them under load, but not more than to be expected. Plus, you only need one other person running a POS generator within a 100 yards of you and nobody will even give you a second thought!! :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Thought this little video could help some of you hear the sound vs a Honda 2000 geny.

5. jpence

jpence Well-Known Member

I have one and would highly recommend it. It really seems to be well built for the price.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I wouldn't do that. Most inverter gens are designed to draw air over the inverter, then to the engine. Doing that will mess up the airflow and could cause the inverter to run hotter then it should.

stickboy274 likes this.
  7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I did that DIY mod by just drilling a bunch of 1/4" holes in the door, then covered the back with air breather foam. If you hold a lit cigar in front of that door while running its obvious its drawing a lot of air thru there. My previous unit overheated and blew oil out the exhaust, fortunately it was replaced by the warranty...

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Some are starved for air. Mine is one of them. They will surge at idle without this fix.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The video is BS.
    Honda 2000 is a smaller package, it can't limit mechanical noise output as well as a larger chassis and the Honda is having to work at a higher level of its peak output to run that heat gun. On the other hand, if it were apples to apples, that video guy would have to run the Predator 3500 against, at least, a Honda 3000 - which is even quieter than the Honda 2000.
    Don't be fooled by marketing magicians, it's smoke and mirrors...you watching your Predator go up in smoke and you looking in the mirror asking yourself dumbfounded questions. :D

cav115 and TurboBlew like this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Well it all depends on what load you are going to run and what your budget is doesn't it? Maybe you can't afford that Honda 3000 and your choice is between a Honda 2000 and a Predator 3000, assuming either will handle your intended load.

11. fastfreddie

Fair enough, but if you're gonna compare noise levels - as was the purpose of the vid - you don't compare different classes of equipment.

cav115 and TurboBlew like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

i was gona post that...Id gladly run my 2 eu2000s against 1 3000 predator with 30amps of power being drawn for comparo.
    There is alot to be said for the parallel ability.

13. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have two Ryobi 2000 that I run in parallel. Works fine for running AC in the travel trailer while also running tire warmers. If the wife uses the microwave at the sametime the tire warmers cycle and AC is running it sometimes will overload the generators, but that doesn't happen very often.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yeah two eu2000 and a link cable are only about 3 times the cost of the Predator. Sounds fair. If you wanted a fair $ for $ comparison, you would have to pair the Predator up against the Honda 1000W. I know you get what you pay for and have a Yamaha 3500 for that reason (going strong on it's 10th season), but not everyone has a budget for a Honda or Yamaha that meets their power demands. This is a really good option if you only have $700 to spend on a genny and not a bad one even if you have a bigger budget.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Predator up against the 3000W Honda. I am betting it would do just fine at half the price.

15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I had my Predator 3500 and my friend had a Honda 3000 running. No discernible difference in loudness.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Did my post knock the 3500? Did I say anything about the price?
    I asked earlier in the thread about the sound under load... which is kind of an important detail.
    The parallel cable is $35 all day long for Hondas. The most expensive components in my setup were my distribition box, NEMA adapters and extended run tank with outboard style connectors. Stuff you'd still need regardless of how much or little you spent on the genny.

17. fastfreddie

It seems generator threads are as polarizing as ever...

To re-cap:
    - Oil? Valvoline (or Lucas.)
    - Tires? Michelin (There's no "or".)
    - Trucks? Dually (Naturally, it would be a Ford. Again, no "or".)
    - Hamburger? No. (Everyone knows cheeseburgers are better.)
    - Glock? No. ('Nuff said.) :D

18. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Sound under load is a wash, with a slight edge to the 3500 (I have two Honda 2000's with a 30amp/can run parallel and a Predator 3500).....the predator runs the trailer (AC/ and fridge), Hondas run the pit (two set of warmers, 36in fan, helmet fans ect...)....have run them parallel to power the trailer as well....which is the reason why the Predator runs the trailer now.

The predator is better than a parallel set up all the way around save portability...its quicker, easier, gas last longer and just as, if not quieter under the same loads....only reason I keep the 2000's is on the quick in and out days when I throw the bike(s) in the back of the truck for a one day and need genny power for tire warmers and bare minimum of fans. If I took my trailer everywhere, every time, I would have sold the 2000's and got another 3500 to give me 3000 more watts, just as quiet (if not more so) and less money.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I was running two Ryobi inverter gennies in parallel and with the AC and small other appliances at night they would be singing pretty good. Predator handles the load much better.

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

And a hot dog is a sandwich