1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

thanks for the help guys. what is a good tube, to help with puncture issues? looking to update the tires to gravel kings. was figuring i might as well have a few tubes and tires layin around so i dont get caught waiting. Ski

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

For the most part, tubes are tubes. Stay away from latex or "race" and "lite" tubes as they are thinner (but lighter). Be sure to get a tube that fits your specific tire size (e.g. 700 x 28-32c). They are sized to fit a tire size range, so for added protection (with additional weight) get one that fits your tire at the lower end of the range so you get a thicker tube.

What kind of riding do you typically do? what ratio gravel/pavement? What size wheel? What width are you looking for? Lot of good options out there if you know what to look for.

I just put Schwalbee G-One Allarounds (MicroSkin TL-Easy version) on my Trek Domane SL5 Disk to turn it into a gravel bike. So far I have ~200miles on the tires over almost exclusively gravel (with a little pavement mixed in) and am very impressed as to how well they roll. While I wouldn't put them on a bike that is exclusively for road riding, they are perfect for mixed terrain with their low rolling resistance and high puncture protection. More info here on the different compounds: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/g-one-allround

Best price I've found so far (and where I purchased two sets) is at Merlin Cycles in the UK: https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Are you running road tubeless on rim brakes?

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Those tires (tubed) came stock on my Kona Roadhouse. I liked them. Don't expect them to last a lot of miles.

That's a very good price for them.

Cheers,

Dave

5. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Yeah, I've read they have great grip and low rolling resistance, but don't last. For less than $35 a piece and the amount of time I expect to gravel ride in between road riding, I think a set a year is realistic.

83BSA likes this.
  6. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting reading about the new tire studies with wider tires, lower pressure, and rolling resistance. According to this calculator I've been running my tire pressure on the high side.

https://axs.sram.com/tirepressureguide

I've been trying out the recommendation and it's much smoother. My recommended pressure for a tubeless 700x28 is 57 front and 60 rear. I never ran it that low before.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I haven't run that low but when I go lower than I normally do on my Conti GP5000's (85F/92R), I "feel" like I'm fighting the tires.

Here is a very popular pressure calculator: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

Another one that is extremely detailed if you setup a free account: https://info.silca.cc/silca-professional-pressure-calculator

And one more: http://engineeredinsanity.com/clydesdale-how-to-estimate-tire-pressure/

I've come to find I like the higher side of the lower pressure recommendations. It seems to fit my riding style better than the lower pressures.

8. awalk9905

I'm also running GP5000s. One of those calculators recommends 128psi and the other shows 54/65psi. I've only done a few rides on the lower pressure because this past month I haven't had time to ride, but should have more time now to play around with it. I didn't notice much of a difference in speed with the lower pressure, but I don't have anything to back that up.

Somewhere I was reading that the AXS calculator was pulling from a ton of data that they've been compiling with real world testing, but for some reason I can't find where I was reading that.

9. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I've had the Pirelli P Zero for about 2k miles now, and not one single flat. I'm beyond impressed

Senna likes this.
  10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Nice whip

DucatiBomber likes this.
  11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

The way I measured the different pressures was to ride my "baseline" 16-mile route at different pressures and normalized it with my power output using my power meter and compared overall speed. From there I used Strava to compare the runs to see where I was faster and where I was slower (rollers, flats, downhills, etc). Now Strava has a built-in tool that compares the same route ridden over time, taking a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

The short of it is set a pressure and give it a go. Don't make the mistake I did at first and judge by feel alone. You need to compare hard numbers. Sometimes feeling like you're going slower is actually faster. Let the numbers guide you.

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys, but my pressure is dictated by how much pressure I need to not destroy the rims on potholes.

The sales pitch is fine, but at the end of the day, there's no way in hell I'm running anywhere near the 60-65 psi recommended.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

14. awalk9905

I plan to do a little testing and play around with it. I'm frustrated with my Quarq Dzero power meter which has been very inconsistent compared to other power meters I've used. Need to get that straightened out.

15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Nope, I have disc brakes.
    I think Skidooboy has the same bike as me, the Cannondale Slate. All versions come with disc brakes and tubeless ready wheels.

Senna and skidooboy like this.
  16. skidooboy

yes, that is the case. i am running tubes on the stock Mavic wheels, with stock cannondale (panaracer) 650/42b (42-584) tires. would like to find a simlar smooth road type tread, and beefier tube. Ski

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Standard pricing for two is $75 on amazon, just an FYI.

Cannoli likes this.
  18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Ah okay. I’ve heard kind of mixed things about running tubeless with rim brakes.

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

20. skidooboy

thanks cannoli, i like the looks of them but, it doesnt look like they are offered in a 650b size. Ski