1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Awesome, gotta love it when the best solution is free and on-hand.

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That’ll be a bike path weapon for sure.

When I had my mtb, I really wanted to get a second wheelset with slicks on it for the path. Big, slick tires combined with disc brakes and grippy flat pedals would be a super confidence-inspiring combination. A gearing swap would be needed to really kill it, though.

We have a path out here that follows a lake. It’s about 15 miles or so in one direction. I was going to approach the local bike shop about doing a TT on it before this virus hit. The nature of the course could bring out some interesting bikes as it’s probably a little too technical for an outright TT bike. A road bike with aero bars for the flat sections probably would have worked best.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I haven’t heard of them, but will certainly look them up. Thx for the info.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

All good info. I usually go through and get a fitting done, but this is a nice review. Thanks.

Cannoli likes this.
  5. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Idk how much it'd cost to have a 2nd set up for mountain bike but this guy was only $629 so might be worth just adding one to the stable. I figure if I find myself wanting to do off-road riding I'll pick up another bike just for that.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Man, I wish. Things are so tight this year that I really had to focus on just one hobby and it continues to be track time. I even sold my MTB and had plans to get another but there's a lot of hidden costs in any hobby and MTB was no exception. I'd love to pick up a dirt bike, but that's also probably off the table unless my accounts rebound hard come July/Aug.

I'm on a very consistent indoor trainer schedule which has been huge for building up a fitness base. To be honest, I'm not a big bike paths fan unless I can get out at about 6 a.m. since there is no one on the trail then and I can haul. Otherwise it's constant dodging of people.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I'm with ya on this. I used to ride rail trails and other paths exclusively, but when I wanted to stretch. my legs, I was dodging kids, dogs, cats on leashes (yes, this is a thing) and cell phone zombies. That's when I gave the road a go and never looked back. I hit some rail trails and tow paths now and again, but I never expect to go "fast" and look it as a leisurely recovery ride.

Senna likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Cannoli likes this.
  9. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

A shameless plug for one of the groups that I am familiar with here in San Diego. It is a mutual benefit organization with many GOOD people working for the benefit of others.
    http://blindstokersclub.org/
    Their annual fundraiser "Cycling For Sight" is next month.

Cannoli likes this.
  10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Not sure I would buy the tire covers, but I've used that site a few times. Legit and quick shipping from the UK.

Senna likes this.
  11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Got a New bike.

2019 De Rosa Protos (Brand new)

Frameset from 2019 ICA team colors

COMPLETE Shimano Ultegra DI2 (R8050) with charger and pedals

Vision Metron 5d handlebar (120mm stem/40cm handlebar)

Wheels are carbon clinchers from Vision size 40mm.

Bike belonged to the Israel Cycling Academy (ICA) team and they didn’t use this bike last year.
    Got a crazy deal on it.

Ride safe,
    AAron

F9CE2F51-2C01-411C-BC10-1E3E4F7BFA71.jpeg C72B69DE-7B8F-4847-9291-DA916DBC464F.jpeg 28782FC3-CFF3-4DD5-A796-8F3BC0727EC5.jpeg 1BBC1CFB-6ECC-4376-BBD2-5BE31DD54073.jpeg

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That is rad.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  13. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Not as rad as those badass stainless cabinets

Boman Forklift and Senna like this.
  14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Same bike (Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 Di2) but new hoops (Enve SES 5.6 Disc). I hit a pot hole on Mothers Day and jacked up my Mavic's that came stock with the bike. Hoping to get them repaired as backup wheels.

Attached Files:

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

how's your bottom bracket alignment? that Hambini dude seems to HATE Canyons haha. before watching his channel i honestly never thought that could be THAT big of a deal or have such an impact... then again though, my last carbon road bike still had a 1-piece metal BB sleeve insert and none of my MTBs are carbon, so i've never had to deal with that possibility really. it IS pretty i'll give it that.

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

No issues on my Canyon Ultimate or my wife's Endurace. The bikes have been rock solid since getting them this past winter. We have over 3k miles on them collectively and not a single complaint. I would definitely look to Canyon for future bikes, but likely my next bike will be a custom build from the frame up.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Sweatypants and Senna like this.
  17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just got my first flat this am. 6 miles into a 10 mile loop. called the Mrs, to come rescue me. wasnt a fun drive home. not sure if i pinched the tube on a depression, or picked up something that cut the tube down.

stock cannondale (panaracer) 650/42b (42-584) tires. they call these "gravel tires" but, i have almost exclusively been on asphalt. guessing less than 1000 miles total. they appear thin and very weak. the road was littered with sticks, leaves, stones, from a big thunderstorm this am.

trying to prevent a future walk. LOL!
    ski

18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I've had good luck on Conti GP4000 SIIs for road riding. I just ride the MUPs, but there's always shit on them. They haven't missed a beat, and I run relatively low pressure for tubes (85 psi F/R).

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ive been running mine tubeless.

Either way, most people carry a spare tube/co2 cartridges to avoid this situation.

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

It's hard to avoid flats but not hard to avoid the call of shame. Just carry a spare tube, two tire spoons, C02, an a mini hand pump. Why the pump if you carry C02? In my experience, if you don't have the tube in place just right, the rush of high pressure C02 can cause the tube to inflate under the tire bead and pop. Gently filling the tire with a mini hand pump first greatly reduces this issue. Once up to 15-20 PSI, have at it with the C02.

I have this setup in my saddle bag:

Tube to fit your bike (with valve extenders if necessary - this one can bite you if you can't get the installed ones off by hand)

C02 Inflator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMDI9E/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A3KM1WBL9A3W9T&psc=1

Tire Spoons: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZGFCE/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2RNBXAVQ4OOHG&psc=1

Mini tool: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ger-elite-multi-tool/p/22374/?colorCode=black

Mini Pump (I carry this in my jersey pocket): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QW6S14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything, except the mini pump fits inside of this tiny saddle bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EHQA7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Senna likes this.