1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasti Dip anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Anyone used the clear stuff? Is it actually clear?

2. sowega

sowega #710

It dries clear.

Wait. I'm thinking of something else. Nevermind.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i'd have to wonder just how much weight that would add to your wheels. NFW would i do that with mine.

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I did some automation work at the main plant in Minnesota. Damn that mixing room had some nasty chemicals in it.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Is there a much thinner version of PlastiDip?

Cuz the stuff I've used in the past is VERY thick, are people thinning it down before spraying?

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok, disregard my question above, apparently, yes it is thinned for this application. Looks very interesting and appears to be the latest rage with very expensive cars, appears to cause no harm.

Anyone know how long this has been going on???

7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Great discussion guys. Sounds like it's out for wheels, but it would be a solid option for bodywork since a $500 paint job on something that ends up in the dirt kind of sucks.

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

The reason I'm looking into it, was because they don't made vinyl wrap in the color I wanted and getting vinyl to lay flat on a compound curves is difficult. And the color in paint fades quickly. Should deliver today

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, I agree if we're talking about a track/race bike where tire changes happen practically every weekend but on a street bike, I think it's still a viable option. Even IF, it get's ruined during the tire removal/install it can easily be re-applied. IIRC, there's even a repair kit/technique available....You gotta remember this stuff isn't going to lie down perfect like your typical paint job, I'm about 99% certain it's gonna have some 'texture' so I'm thinking repairs might not be as bad as one might think. Hell, if that doesn't work out well, just peel off and re-apply in between tire changes. FWIW, they're using this stuff on car wheels already.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

It can have a little texture depending on how you spray it. Spray closer and it will end up smoother. Do a test spray on something to get a feel for it.