1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pissed off with car dealership! - Surpise, I know.

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Have been looking for a new SUV; settled on the VW Atlas

Long story short, been looking across several dealers and found one today that I wanted to buy.

Go in, talk to the sales guy and tell him this is the easiest sale he'll make today. I want 19K for a trade value and I want the car for 36K, OTD.

He writes it up and comes back saying they'll give 15K for my trade and wanted like 39 plus for the new car. I said, how in the fuck did he get that number? Oh, MSRP is almost 44K. I said no, the sticker on the car says $41,930 and your website shows the $41,930 price with a $5500 discount making it $36,430 as advertised on your website.

He verifies correct stock number and vin, prints it out and takes it to his manager.....about a minute later, SM says he's sorry but he can't honor the price on the website because it's wrong. They haven't added their $2,000 mark up on it yet and that even if he did, we were so far apart on the trade it wouldn't work.

I responded, fine, I'll keep my trade and sell it on my own. I'll take the new VW for $36,400 OTD as they have it advertised. He just blank stared me and said, I'm sorry....the price is wrong and besides, the car wasn't for sale. You found it on our back lot, not out front. I asked if he was familiar with False Advertising Practices and the laws regarding it....again, just a blank stare.

I got up and walked out.

So.....what's my action here besides the yellar Ferrari driving fort shitters?

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Shit in their fort.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Better do something fast before Broome snakes it for $36,401.

dtalbott likes this.
  4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

$36,402.

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Were you really going to buy a VW?

Pixelator, Sweatypants and cha0s#242 like this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Keep shopping...

Don't rule out buying out of state. Plenty of low mileage CPO cars to be had.

7. ClemsonsR6

Yep. It's not a diesel.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Shit happens. Unless you are 100% it wasn't just a mistake, you should move on.

G 97 likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

I kinda had the same experience trying to lease a car few years ago. I took the time to learn the formula to figure out the lease payments off the price of the car and went in. Long story short they stone walled me when I started throwing numbers at them. Then asked how I coming up with the payment I explained long hand how I was getting them. After multiple back and forth they pretty much told me to kick rocks.

This is why I don't buy cars from dealers. Unless they can put a fucking on you, they don't wanna sell.

People always talking about how much of a steal they got when in realityt they're usually too ignorant or in denial that they got played.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. :crackup:

11. Did you print the ad from the website? If you wanted to push the issue, you could probably force them to honor that price.

It won’t help you on your trade though.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

....and then light it on fire.

[​IMG]

13. ClemsonsR6

Yep, screen shotted it on my phone in the dealership, then 2 hours later at home on my iPad.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Keep in mind more than likely there is a disclaimer for mistakes in the fine print because of these reasons.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It doesn't hurt to make a formal complaint with the appropriate state agencies, just in case they make such "mistakes" on a regular basis.

Phl218, beechkingd and BigBird like this.
  16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I had a Atlas. Coming from a diesel Touareg, it was a giant let down, so we called it a Fatlas. Shitty mileage, small fuel tank, shit at towing oh - and the sunroof leaked. Had it less than two weeks before it spent 26 days in service to fix the leak. Kiddo, sitting in the third row, happened to notice water streaming through the middle-row’s seatbelt anchor in the C-pillar when going through the car wash. So, a week after the repair, it starts leaking again going through the same wash. VW customer care said to use “ ... a different car wash.” Well, none of my other cars had a problem with that wash.

The thing was, spare parts weren’t available, so was told to drive the car for a little while until those could be sourced. Once parts arrived, car was examined and it was determined that the body around the frame was slightly malformed, which put it over the 30 day lemon law bit. BUYBACK! I spent about $500 to drive the car six months, received a large voucher good towards the purchase of any VW/Audi product, and bought a Q7.

So yeah, good trade-in value on a fAtlas.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They won't care, someone will buy it at that price.

418 likes this.
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, guess they figured if you are stupid enough to give 36K for a VW you are stupid enough to give 42.....

TLR67, dtalbott and 418 like this.
  19. Or on their doorstep. That’ll teach em

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

so then only the tailgate will rust and the window regulators will break 3 times before you're out of warranty... but at least your gas mileage will be accurate. :D

*edit* replied before i even got here:

like clockwork haha