1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

More grooves in a bigger tire gives the water a place to go.

2. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Off topic question what tire psi are you guys running on the new V4? Ive been running 36 front cold and 22 rear. I was running this tire psi on the v3 with good grip. I switched to the v4 I found that 22 rear was too high and chunks were shredding, I dropped it to 20psi then it was all good. Just curious what you guys are running. Mind you, I ride on very course race tracks. Tire temps are higher

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why are you using cold pressures?

4. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

2.5 bar or 36.2 psi front cold 1.5 bar 21.7 cold rear. On a gripped, abrasive track 65-70f track temps

5. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

I believe he meant why are you focusing on cold pressures instead of hot.

mpusch likes this.
  6. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

@Pneumatico Delle Vittorie any updates to the the 2024 RR fitment guide? Also what's the scoop with the recommended warmer temp range between 2022 and 2023? As far as I'm aware of there weren't any drastic compound or carcass changes?

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

There's always changes so give me a few

8. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

I'd like to know as well, thanks

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

New Moto3 100/70R17 SC2 front and a new mini moto SC2 120/80-12 rear coming too. Still waiting to hear anything suggested pressures and warmer temps but I don't expect changes

10. dudutzu

I'm mostly curious about the different warmer temperature requirements, in 2022 it listed 80-90C and in 2023 70-80C.
    Also, does the SC3 require different warmer temperature than the other compounds?

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Still researching and I see some something that I need to clarify. And more importantly are you managing before and after hot pressures?

12. dudutzu

What do you mean by that?

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Go to the first post of this thread
    Then read tire pressures

14. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

How similar is this new 100 /70 to the 110/70 currently available? On a small production bike (250/300/r3) is there any reason to switch from the 110?

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Rim width and weight of the bike would help decide the question. What's does a moto3 weigh compared to a Ninja 300 or R3?

16. dudutzu

Yes, I do that already.
    Just want to get confirmation that I'm following the correct recommended temperature range.

17. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

probably double

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Most Moto3 bikes use a 2.50-17 wheel and those small street bikes use a 3.00-17. So the bigger tire on the heavier bike should improve handling and especially braking performance. Specs are: 100/70R17 101mm wide and diameter 580mm, the 110/70R17 112mm and 590mm

sharky nrk likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok here's the latest data from the big cheese

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  20. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Pirelli guy (Chris) gave me 34/25 hot off warmers for my SC3’s at COTA Monday in the A group and he was spot on, the tire looks great still, so thanks for this fitment guide. I’ll print it and keep it with me now that I’ve switched over to Pirelli.

Chazzz likes this.