1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Found this the other day, and it's from 1970 and the same message is used today. cool
    [​IMG]

DaveB and tl1098 like this.
  2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Pirelli
    Superbike Slick SC-3 190/60
    vs.
    Superbike Trackday SC-3 Slick 190/60

Other than stating trackday does not need warmers, are there differences in shape, typical lifespan, etc.? Picked up an R6 and looking at 190/60 options. Was very happy with 180/60 SC-3 TD (DOT) but this R6 will never see street so my options are opened up.

edit: actually states the neither need warmers. Are they the same tire?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  3. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

There’s a track day SC3 DOT and a track day superbike slick SC3. These should be the same tire aside from tread.

https://www.tracksidetires.com/product/pirelli-diablo-superbike-trackday-sc-3-slick/ (Link for reference I am not trackside)

the non track day, superbike slick Sc3 I would expect to be different from the track day line, and does say it requires warmers.

4. 0100

0100 Active Member

I picked up a rear take off SC1.

It was used at NHMS which is mostly lefts, and will be used at NHMS this weekend.

Can Pirelli slicks be run flipped or will this be an issue?

5. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

No issues flipping it

0100 likes this.
  6. 0100

0100 Active Member

Great thanks!

7. 0100

0100 Active Member

What hot tire pressures are you guys running on the SC1 's front and rear?

120/70
    190/60

Thanks!

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

My reps have said around 37 front and 24-26 on the rear depending on conditions. Generally warm, sunny days when I've run.

0100 likes this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Who's running at NHMS this weekend? If you're there on a NEMRR weekend Mike Kurtz will be there running MTAG Pirelli and can give some tire help as well.

10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Are there different recommended pressures for different tire/bike sizes typically? Would there be a significant difference between the pressures one would run on a 300 vs a 650 vs a 1000?

0100 likes this.
  11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

In my experience, pressures will probably vary more with the track and weather than with a specific bike or tire size, although when you get down to a 300, that might change.
    Examples:
    • On both my 2003 R1 and SV650 I would run similar pressures for the same compound. I had a standard setting that worked at most tracks and normal riding temps for my advanced track day pace. This worked at Summit Main, NJMP, VIR and NCBike.
    • I would take two pounds out at Shenny in the morning on both bikes front and rear due to the lack of grip and slow average speed. That was the only way I could generate any heat and grip at all. Around lunch I would add a pound as the track gained some grip. If it was hot and the group and I were running a decent pace, I would add another pound in the early afternoon.
    • I only ran the R1 at Pitt Race, but the only way I could keep from destroying my rear tire was by adding about 2 pounds to an SC2. I tried an SC1 and it gripped like crazy for about 1/2 a track day, then it was toast. The SC3 I tried spun up everywhere and I destroyed it in less than a day as well. For reference I normally got 3 to 4 days out of an SC2 rear on the R1.

0100 likes this.
  12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ thanks.

I looked up the tire sheet and the sizes had different pressure ranges, but compounds didn't. I find that kinda odd but what do I know.

RichMangus likes this.
  13. 0100

0100 Active Member

What are the ambient temp range for SC1, SC2, and SC3?

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yep;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Look again at the first post of this thread but here's the highlights about . And use the app chart too
    Slick Fronts
    The SC1 and SC2 fronts are very similar in grip but there is a distinct difference in feel. Both tires use the same carcass but because the SC2 has a harder compound it has a firmer feel. So, the key here is to try both to find your favorite. Don’t get confused on the SC2 and that it’s only for longer races or colder temperatures because it works even on tracks like Laguna in July which can get slippery. If your looking for the longest lasting of the two the SC2 gets the nod, but not by a huge margin. Then we have SC3 that we introduced in 2016. This tire has the most durability and is similar in performance to the SC2. That beginning said at Laguna 2016 WSBK a few riders tried them there, so you know the performance is good. But this SC3 compound is unique and different but it doesn’t feel harder than a SC2. So, you would think the longer lasting SC3 is going to have a harder feel than a SC2 but it doesn’t which is weird right?

Slick Rears
    When extremely cold or the track is really abrasive the track is the SC2 is the better choice. When it’s warmer and the track is less abrasive choose the SC1. Then when it’s hot and the track has low grip/is greasy the SC0 is the choice. Sure, you can use a SC1 in colder weather or abrasive track and go very fast with good wear. And a really fast rider can make a SC0 work in colder weather if the track isn’t too abrasive but your set up needs to be spot on. Or you can use a SC1 on a hot greasy track but the SC0 will be faster.

Three points to hit here. The first is the SC1 is the go to tire that’s fast and works well everywhere. Second is the SC2 rear is a bit slower and it’s a long-lasting tire. Third is the SC3 which is designed for endurance and longevity but at a slower pace. So, I would suggest either the SC2 or 3 rears if you’re looking for value and want to do a lot of laps. And finally let’s be clear about the SC0, it’s never been so user friendly. It is very long lasting and will take quite a few heat cycles.

0100 likes this.
  16. 0100

0100 Active Member

Thanks! What would be considered extremely cold temp (like under 50 deg F)? I am thinking ambient temp really isn't what matters and more track surface temps that matter. 50 deg cloudy day vs 50 deg sunny day will be totally different track temps.

17. 0100

0100 Active Member

I am new to running slicks. I know it's different for each rider (bike, rider style, track surface). But how many sessions do you guys typically get out of SC1 or SC2's before you notice grip really falling off?

I have 2 track days on sc1 rear and 4 days on SC2 front.

18. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

I'm switching to Pirelli finally. The set is getting mounted at the local shop since the track won't have a vendor. These Diablo Supercorsa SP V4 are temporary for a few weekends on the 600.

Should I start at front @33 & rear @ 30 warm???

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Fronts last a long time for me - usually multiple weekends.

SC1 rear lasts 2-3 races before I feel it starting to fall off. For some reason the SC2 rears are harder for me to find in 190 and used to last me at least a weekend of racing if not two. Still plenty of grip for my (modest) pace too.

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

190/60 SC2 rears don't exist. Pirelli never made that tire. You're probably thinking of the 180/60, which is still available in SC2, but we'll rarely have them on hand for a race weekend unless they are ordered ahead of time.