1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Spoofing

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jan 22, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You looking for a new hobby?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did you take that call or was it a VM demanding you call him back? Those are one of the fun ones to get.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, just wondering how it hasn’t been squashed by the telephone companies or by some aggressive attorney general somewhere.

OldGuyOnBlu likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They fined the holy hell out of a couple of companies for spoofing but a lot are off shore.
    "My name is Steve, I am calling you from microsoft."
    "Steve, you sound like Ghandi! "
    "I tell you I am Steve, bro."

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I blame the people that fall for the spoof. If no one responded the crap would stop.

pjdoran likes this.
  6. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I had these motherfuckers "SOmething Brokers" call me three times in a week. First time I told them I wasn't interested and asked how they got my number, to which they replied "it on a list of selected people, blah, blah). Second time I hung up. Third time I gave them an earful explaining that I previously made it quite clear I wasn't interested. Motherfuckers. Then I blocked their number on my phone.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No it wouldn't. They'd just keep trying new things. The ones that claim you're in trouble unless you pay are probably the most successful. There are LOTS of naive, stupid people out there - most of them elderly who just don't understand how many predators are out there anymore.

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Robocall, out of Michigan. Saw a missed call from them when I got out of physical therapy as well. Must be a "serious" situation.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

There is no way for a telco to squash it, it's the same problem we have with spoofing email, the underlying systems were never built to have a means of authenticating that information.

SGVRider likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Well, get on that for us then.

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

For one-off's, there is a web-based service you can use. For serious spammers, it's built into the VOIP equipment they have.

For instance, no toll free number makes outgoing calls, they are incoming only. So any call you get with an 800/888/877/866/855/844 area code is a spoofed caller ID, regardless if its a legitimate or scam call.

Caller ID is just a data field in the call setup packet.
    ANI (Automatic Number Identification) is much harder to spoof because its generated by the mainframe, but is separate from the ICLID (Caller ID).

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

I get them pretty much daily and just don't answer. Usually from the same first 3 numbers of my cell number.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All I ever get are robo calls, no fun there :(

15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I haven't answered a number that wasn't programmed into my phone in a couple years now because of this shit.

pscook likes this.
  16. Untrue. It is not that they CAN‘T do it, it‘s that they WON‘T, because it would cost them money that they cannot recoup from the customer base.

OldGuyOnBlu likes this.
  17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Doesn’t matter a scheisse if it’s legal or not. It’s possible because the calling number is just trusted. It’s not encrypted or authenticated anything. Just whatever number you send it what it accepts.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Neither. The originating device or app sends the receiving phone the caller ID. So you just have to tell your device to send a different number. Difficult but not very with physical hardware, with a phone you can just use an app.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

there's a apps out now

truecaller

or

robokiller

20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Sometimes, just send a text straight to the unknown number:

“The number you are trying to reach is no longer in service. Please check the number and try your call again later. Message one-eight-seven”

Sometimes I get a “huh?’ or ‘wut?” though every now and again, some smart ass copies that text straight back to me. Then, we hang out.