1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who like to eat enter - Need help picking out a fridge

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, May 16, 2018.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

My parents' Samsung also gave up on them. They bought a subzero. It's pretty cool (pun)

BigBird likes this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. Every time the damn thing even makes a noise I'm scared to death I'll have to replace it. They do seem to be very serviceable though. Last repair guy told me he can keep em running until the compressor is dead and then it's time to replace. I think my Kitchen Aid is 21 yrs old.

I should ad that it is the best one I've ever had and would buy a replacement in a heartbeat based on my experience with this one (which has only been 5 years but I love it).

Attached Files:

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

really nice fridge...is that something on the top of the fridge that opens(metal)?

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Yeah that top panel swivels up and comes off to service the whatever makes a fridge work.

BigBird likes this.
  5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

We have LG french door, bottom freezer no water anywhere fridge. It is pretty hard to find a good quality no frills fridge. We got ours at HD. You guys will probably find this idea crazy, but we make ice in ice cube trays. I have not had a problem with an ice maker or dispenser and since it is right next to the sink I can fill my glass from the filtered water faucet. Pretty ingenious, don't you think?

fastfreddie likes this.
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Please. You just walk outside and chisel ice when you need it. You ain’t foolin anybody.

BigBird likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

cavemen used charcoal to write on walls, doesn't mean it's the best idea :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the nice ones that's where the motor and such sits.

10. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Haven't read through all the comments but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT BUY AN LG!!!!!!!!! Our $2500 fancy ass LG fridge has been dead for 5 weeks now and it's been a huge PITA getting anyone to even attempt to fix this damn POS. I've spent countless hours on the phone with LG, I'm convinced they try and drive you insane so you'll give up. (I won't) No one in Lexington will touch them, finally found a company in Louisville and they've replaced the compressor, been out twice and it still won't work.

I've researched them quite a bit since it died, there's a class action lawsuit in Pennsylvania against LG, their compressors are complete shit and only last a couple years. Samsung has the same shitty compressor, stay away from those t0o. Ours has a 10 year warranty on the compressor but does no good if nobody will work on the damn thing. (Or can't seem to be able to fix it.) I've been told that GE and Whirlpool are the two best, but who knows.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

But that art is still there for posterity. :D

13. fastfreddie

We have a GE Profile ~$2000, French door, lower freezer, ice maker and interior water.
    I don't care for the interior water for the same reason as mentioned above...the door is open for what can essentially be sourced from any number of spigots throughout the house. It's not needed.
    Ice bin? Just scoop it.
    Lower freezer? Beats a frozen roast from sliding out of an upper and crushing your toes, the cat or the dog's skull. :D Have kids? :eek:
    Twin doors? Meh. It's convenient for the door/drawer mounted contents, depending on your dominant hand and where you stock stuff in the frig. Still gotta open both to shove a pizza in. Mostly, I'm in and out for milk or coffee cream. So, for door stored beverages, it seems worthwhile.
    GE? Purchased at a local appliance store. Going on ten years. Had a thermistor fail a couple years ago. $1.37 in parts, service guy didn't screw us...coulda been a compressor sale if he wanted it to. We tipped him.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like you need one with the small access to the stuff in the door.

The sister has one with a middle drawer that can be either fridge or freezer - it's evidently amazing for the grandkids, keeps them from opening the main fridge every 15 minutes.

15. fastfreddie

I don't think this GE is gonna die any time soon, but the idea of an access door has its appeal. We'll see what's out there in another ten years or more. ;)

We'll be shopping for a washer and dryer way before then. Already know I want simple knobs...I have no use for a multitude of settings. Yzass may disagree, I'm not allowed to do her laundry. :D

16. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I have spoken too soon.

After 18 years the freezer went out in my 48” Sub Zero.

$2,435 to fix

Over $9,000 to replace fml

I’m in a much different financial situation than I was when I bought it.

The refrigerator side still works perfect. Who needs a freezer anyway?

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Always happens like that... Good luck

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk