1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who like to eat enter - Need help picking out a fridge

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, May 16, 2018.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've seen these fridges with the water inside, but it seems like a waste of cold air to open it up every time I want a drink. I'm old school and can feel the money coming out of my pockets when the fridge door is open more than 5 seconds.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

My ideal setup would be 2 of these next to each other, one left hinged, one right, icemaker in one.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigid...rator-stainless-steel/5851806.p?skuId=5851806

I hate bottom freezer models, hell- I think side by sides are dumb. With the above setup you've got huge capacity and low cost, and if one breaks in 15 years you've still got one... only possible issue is (obviously) the space needed.

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Have you found that you lack space at anytime with the counter depth? Like when you're entertaining or have a lot of leftovers after Thanksgiving? I can see the benefit of not having to dig to the back to get to things.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You hate side by sides but want effectively that with a wall between them?

DO you have any idea how crazy you sound right now? :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mine is as big as I could get depth wise and have no issues losing things - the boss may sometimes but her arms are shorter :D

Granted I also do keep it organized and rotate things regularly - that and when we're on the road a lot it stays pretty empty.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

In 2010, we bought a Samsung French Door. Great fridge, and was left in the condo when we moved last year, still works.
    In 2017, bought another Samsung product a Side by Side, and well $900 worth of food lost and it's a big POS, that we tossed. All I heard was what I imagined DaveK would sound like saying "I told you so". Then I saw a bunch of them on sale at Lowe's that were warranty replaced.

We replaced it with a LG Fridge on sale for $1500 and it's been great. For $3k no, but for $1500, well worth it. Also, the samsung dishwasher sucks at washing dishes, and the old Maytag from 2010 is 100% better. The Samsung convection range is pretty good though.

7. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Copy, no Samsung.

We've seen a couple Frigidaires that we've liked. I think they're made by LG (at least their washing machines are).

8. Tristan

Never been a big concern to me... the idea makes perfect sense to me- you get the utility of a big Subzero type unit at a fraction of the cost. Look how much space the vertical wall of a traditional SxS wastes. If I could buy a 35 c.f. SxS for $1000 I'd do that, but my scenario is as close as possible.

BigBird likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Crazy? Kinda, but there is a warped logic playing the odds that both won't die at the same time,

10. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I haven’t but we’ve only had this one for about 9 months and haven't had any huge dinners at our house. I do cook a lot so it's typically pretty full. For reference, we always have two gallons of milk in there, I just made a huge pot of chicken stock last night so there's about 4 gallons of that chilling in there right now, there's two full cases of beer, 4-5 bottles of wine, all sorts of lunch meats, cheeses, pickles, condiments, eggs, etc. I could still probably get a pizza in there if I did a little shuffling around. I do have a chest freezer that I keep a lot of our frozen stuff in. If I only had this fridge freezer I would be in rough shape for space...with that said, I do garden and buy my meats from a farmer so I typically have at least a 1/2 pig, bunch of chickens, etc in the freezer.

OGs750 likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Side by sides suck at space. I hate bottom freezers too, but I like french doors more. After buying a side by side, will never buy another one again.

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'm completely offended that those of us that don't eat much are excluded from this thread.

scottn likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean a side by side with a freezer being half of it? Yeah, that's never ever been an option as far as I'm concerned.

I get the Sub Zero wanna be thing but meh. I also do prefer the freezer on the bottom rather than the top. More storage room per cf of the unit and you don't use it as often so less bending over less to access the area I do use all the time is a good thing.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never had a fridge go totally out without knowing quickly so that's not a concern at all for me.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You talking full height fridge sxs with full height fridge? Yeah, those are flat out unacceptable.

BigBird likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Judging by the number of food pics on your FB, I'd say you like to eat like a mofo. You probably just crap a lot.

Funkm05 likes this.
  17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Fixified

cha0s#242 likes this.
  18. Tristan

Sadly the Woman doesn't see the appeal to my genius idea, so we have her stupid sxs in the kitchen and my old top freezer 20 c.f in the garage, and also in the garage a Craigslist deal I couldn't refuse... an upright freezer (around 18 c.f.). I take full advantage of the $.99/lb. pork shoulder sales...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a fridge in the basement that gets used when I stock up but I really should swap it with a freezer and actively look for sales on things - downside to that is the wife freaks over the total cost no matter how much food it is :D

20. Tristan

I scored my upright for $100, looked and works as new! Guy bought a house in Upper Arlington and didn't want the freezer. By the time I got there he'd even already hauled it up from the basement.