1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pellet Grills

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

For the OP - I ended up going with a Grilla Grill Silverback for my pellet pooper. They're direct order only, but the double wall construction was a selling point for me. I used it this winter when the temps were -15 degrees F without a problem for an overnight cook of some butts. I did switch out my controller to Grilla's new dual controller which has a PID mode for precise temp control and a "swing" mode which fluctuates the temps to vary pellet dump and create more smoke flavor. It's kind of the best of both worlds where I can start with a swing set up then switch to PID after the smoke flavor is imparted into the food.

When I compare mine to the Traegers, Z grill and various other chinese manufacturered ones, the Grilla feels more substantial and the steel thickness is definitely thicker. Their customer support from what I've seen is stellar and the owners have a direct presence on their Facebook Group page.

I've heard good things from Rec Tec but haven't personally put my hands on them. Yoder obviously is the gold standard, but you're paying for it. Pitts and Spitts would be another one that appears to be on par with Yoder.

With anything it's a tool and depending on the job it may or may not be the correct tool. I can get my pellet grill up to about 450-500 degrees, but it really excels in the 180-350 range. They are perfect for jerky, butts, brisket, etc. For overnight cooks they are a game changer when coupled with a good remote thermometer for chamber and meat temps when compared to a stick burner if you like sleep.

I still use my weber kettle for burgers, steaks, brats, etc. I use my large homemade smoker for smoking sausages, fish, cheeses, etc. Again, use the right tool for the job.

A smoke tube from Amazn as mentioned in a previous post will help add some more smoke if you want it, or adda chunk of hardwood on top of the heat deflector. I've found that if I use the top rack I get more smoke flavor also.

To wrap up, if you're looking to replace a propane grill for brats, burgers, chicken, etc you may be slightly let down. Pellet grills are not the best at a sear type cook. Consider them more as a wood fired convection oven. There are work arounds but they are not as easy to do that kind of cook on.

I'd buy one anyway you'll be the kind of the hood when you pull out a butt that's been going for 12 hours and tastes amazing. Just my $.02 cents for what it's worth.

gy999r, ducnut, Funkm05 and 1 other person like this.
  2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Weber Kettle, because propane can fuck right off for grilling. Pit Barrel Co Smoker for smoking. :D Also get off my lawn.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I know this is sacrilegious to say around these parts, but I'm a pretty bad griller (usually inebriated and hosting the party so have been known to burn the fuck out of shit), so as long as this thing is plug and play and won't let me burn stuff with flareups, etc., it'll serve my purposes.

I really just wanted an oven for outside (which sounds like a pellet grill is); that being said, appreciate the feedback.

Funkm05 likes this.
  4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’ll have to give that a try

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Then you should be happy with it. They also excel at making jerky and candied bacon. Another favorite is peppers (jalapeno or mini sweet red) stuffed with pulled pork and/or cheese and wrapped in bacon.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I bought a camp chef pellet grill this spring and love it. Ribs, chicken breasts, and most recently brisket have all turned out great.

Considering that I pretty much sucked at grilling on my old gas burner is saying something. It couldn’t get easier to use. The burgers and brats I grilled at a higher temp were easily my best.

I have the ad on sear box

I consider mine as a huge improvement over gas

Funkm05 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Tell me more about this candied bacon.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Couldn't be easier- oven at 275-300 works just fine, a smoker adds another dimension though. Place a cookie cooling rack (or other mesh rack) on a cookie sheet, lay out whatever bacon you like, generously sprinkle with light brown sugar and a SMALL amount of your favorite BBQ rub. Bake/smoke to desired firmness (this is the only "hard" part). Unless you've way undercooked, it's good for at least a week at room temp- not that any will be left by then. If you have a multi-level smoker like mine, any time you're doing chicken (or almost anything really) you can do the bacon over top of it without the cookie sheet to take advantage of the drippings.

K51000 and Sabre699 like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You just didn't give the charcoal enough burn time to get the lighter fluid off. Charcoal or bust.

K51000 likes this.
  11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Overcooked, IMHO.

12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'm lazy and wanted a lazy option so I finally caved and bought a Traeger that was on sale yesterday. If I don't like it I'll sell it and get my money back, around here they seem to hold their value very well.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Propane is easier and quicker :D

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:stupid: Quit trying to be the voice of reason.

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I have my propane Weber I'll keep for steaks and other things, the Traeger is for brisket and ribs and other types of deliciousness.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I meant a propane smoker. Easier and cheaper and works just as well as any of the others :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And if you really want to make it easy (aka cheat) - sous vide the brisket and finish on the smoker...

nd4spd likes this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I don’t use lighter fluids. I used/use a chimney and vegetable oil. It was process of elimination. I still tasted petroleum and had long since stopped using lighter fluid. Unless my taste buds became more sensitive, Kingsford changed their recipe.

ducnut likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I agree with you.