1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pellet Grills

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jul 14, 2019.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

3 years on a GMG. Love it.

All pellets are not the same. Best I've used are Lumberjack and its not even close to 2nd. Cookinopellets are supposed to be good also. Try different woods and blends.

2. I had a Traeger, it was ok at best. Spend the money on at least an XL green egg with an fan controlled temp control unit. You won’t be disappointed. I have a few smokers, a high end offset, vertical, and even an electric. Offset is good for A LOT of food but green egg does it all.

Attached Files:

K51000, ducnut and Newsshooter like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The "bonding agent" should only be high pressure in food grade pellets. You don't want to be using heating pellets.

As I've said in the 27 other similar threads... kamado>pellet grill/smoker in nearly every way. No way would I have a pellet pooper as my only outdoor cooker, not even 2nd place.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

That’s great that you’re so much better than everyone else. In the meantime, he has specifically asked about pellet grills, and there are plenty of guys winning competitions with these lowly “pellet poopers”. Any useful advice to add??

Edit: To be clear, that “you” isn’t just pointed at you. That same theme is in a few posts in just this thread. Same as it is in damn near every thread here when someone asks for feedback on something specific.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    badmoon692008 and Laz like this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

FWIW Rec Tec is local and I think they have a sale on now. I don't have one and don't know anyone there, but they seem to garner good reviews and the prices are definitely much less than MSRP.

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

A lot of guys on a Camp Chef group I’m in use the RecTec wi-fi board and retrofit it to their Camp chef smoker. Gives great control remotely, but you keep the tools and customer service of the camp chef.

7. Tristan

Don't know how you gathered that I think I'm "better" from my post... my response was brief because the subject has been covered MANY times here and more detailed info is already there.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You are far more serious about this than I am.

Funkm05 likes this.
  9. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

My buddy just picked up a SmokePro DLX 24 grill and he's loving it. Seemed pretty simple when I saw it last weekend. I might pick one up when I get my new Char-broil Tru-Infrared 4 burner gas jobby to replace my existing OG infrared grill.

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

FYI Amazon has a few Traeger's on sale for prime day but they look like smaller ones...

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

“Komodo > ... in nearly every way ... no way I’d have a pellet pooper ... not even 2nd place.” Boy, I don’t know where I gathered that from.

Again, my vent was more so that its the same damn thing every time someone asks about a specific thing on here, and it just got to me this time.

OP: What things should I look for in a 1500 Silverado?
    BBS 1: Those suck. You need an F-150.
    BBS 2: You need the 2500 HD dually Denali. <insert pic of their giant shiny dick>

OP: I’m looking to get a pellet grill. What brands should I be considering? Who has one? What features are worthwhile?
    BBS: Those things suck. A Komodo is better in every way. I wouldn’t even get a pellet pooper for back-up duty.

I get it. This is a site FULL of type-A competitors, but the dick measuring gets old sometimes. It hit me this morning when I read your post ... and Canadian Bacon’s. I’m pretty well over it. I know better.

K51000 and bleacht like this.
  12. Tristan

Nerve struck apparently! Not to be further argumentative, but I don't know why you'd try smoking meats using a lizard... those things are mean and would probably just eat the meat.

13. Tristan

When I asked about VW TDI's, I was happy to get plenty of "don't buy one". I think it is YOU that is assuming the OP is ONLY interested in pellet grills.

14. Considering I’ve had most every kind of smoker out there I gave an opinion, this isn’t an f ing court of law. He was looking for a pellet grill and I stated my experience with one. It’s a valid point when looking to buy a product and asking a question. Not even sure why I’m even trying to defend myself to some over sensitive person. Maybe you need to go get a Green Egg, light it and just sit there, watch the temperature and meditate a bit. I pissed away a fair bit of $ on a Traeger and didn’t like it at all, pretty valid point to someone looking for one. Not to mention I have multiple smokers and know what works (for me) and what doesn’t.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

And that did it........forgot it was Prime day today. I wasn't only interested in pellet grills but I have ADD so when I'm drunk window shopping and see something I like, the odds are I'm going to buy it fairly quickly.

upload_2019-7-15_13-46-11.png

ducnut likes this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I just said it struck a nerve. Not even trying to deny it. And the spelling is easy. That’s what it autocorrects to and I don’t give a shit enough about them to worry about how its actually spelled. :D

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Some don’t understand my ways, now, I know what’s “wrong” with me. Thanks! :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. I quit drinking a while back but sleep deprived and internet shopping is a bad combo.

19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

20. Tristan

I've got a knockoff version from Ebay. Used it a couple times, jury's still out on its effectiveness... probably best for a propane grill.
    I've added a big chunk of apple or cherry to the pellet fire pot too for extra smoke at the beginning of a cook.