1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paver Patio Project

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You can build the block fire pit on the finished concrete, just leave a hole in the pit somewhere for water to drain, doesn't have to be very big, maybe 16".
    Is that pic you posted the actual fire pit with the metal liner? Those kits are handy and easy to assemble.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I do intend to purchase a kit like what i posted. So after forming a hole in the concrete for water to drain, include a layer of fire brick to build the fire pit? I’m concerned about damaging the concrete from the heat of the fire after it’s built.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

There’s likely an air gap between the wall of the fire ring and the block. I built mine with 6” of sand between the ring and the block. Block never gets too hot to touch.

speedluvn likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is there a steel liner with the fire pit kit? If so, there's no need for fire brick. Just have a hole in the concrete base about the size of a dinner plate or so, and water will drain. You could also place a concrete block on the gravel base to use as a form for the drain hole, keep it the same height as the outside perimeter concrete from, that way you'll know the correct height of the concrete. Build your fire pit on top of your finished concrete.

6. speedluvn

Yeah, there’s a ring. Thanks for the clarification :beer:

7. speedluvn

upload_2019-8-12_18-4-46.jpeg

12ft diameter and ready for gravel.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Looks like some sort of budget Stonehenge going on. Are there any rituals taking place? Will this pic come back up in any police investigations?

TurboBlew, jksoft and Banditracer like this.
  9. speedluvn

I started digging and it’s as if my property was a rock farm in its previous life. Trying to get rid of the eye sore with the gravel and cement.
    And for the right price, I will look away should someone needs to get rid of any evidence before the cement pour.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Screw the fire pit and patio build this...Stonehenge for gnomes. Or DaveK's

[​IMG]

TurboBlew and brex like this.
  11. speedluvn

I’m running into some difficulties locating rental stamp pads. Looks like I may have to purchase the pads. Any suggestions on what to look for when I purchase?

12. ChemGuy

Urethane rubber stamps.

Ask them whose rubber they use for the stamps.
    Polytek and smooth on are pretty big in the concrete mold rubber business.

We used to do business with globmarble in NY. They make stamps.

13. speedluvn

When using stamp, will the release agent that I’ll use impart any color to my finished looked?

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If you don't want a secondary color, you can use a powder release that's the same color as the concrete, but you'll lose that 3D look, and it won't look as good IMO. Or you can use a liquid release without adding color, some do that then add color later before sealing. Don't stamp without any release.

With a city the size of Baltimore, there has to be concrete rental places with the rubber mats. It's about $1000 to buy a good set of stamps. What about the place you're buying the color and sealer from? Around here, the concrete delivery companies have the stamps also.

15. speedluvn

The Increte location is about 30 to 45 minutes away and they’re not open on Saturdays.
    I’m gonna call them to see what’s possible.

16. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Damnit, so my wife’s new parking pad was doomed before it ever even began.

17. speedluvn

I have to wait 30 days before I can seal and add the fire pit. 63 bags of 80 lbs of mix in a 10 cu ft mixer. It has character.

Attached Files:

RichB, ChemGuy and ducnut like this.
  18. speedluvn

@Razr, (thanks Bill) provided me with some invaluable information on how to proceed with this project.
    The picture that’s provided is before I took off more of the release agent with a solution of muriatic acid.

19. ChemGuy

20. speedluvn

Ask away. This was a project on another level. If I were to do this over again. I would have had the supplies delivered and added another helper or two. This project was in the back yard and wasn't accessible by a cement truck. I also want color added to the mix. From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, most companies don't add color?