1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paver Patio Project

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 5, 2019.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Researching a paver patio. I’m trying to understand if the interlocking plastic bases are better than the traditional method of placing them over the gravel, then sand base.
    With both methods, I need the gravel/sand base.
    So I guess what I’m trying to understand is the plastic interlocking base something marketed through the big box store for easier paver placement for simpler DIY projects?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

There's a hardscape supplier close to you. Go there...

3. speedluvn

Do they have a better, different product then the big box stores?

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've never used the plastic mainly because FUCK- it's expensive... and I'd bet that you'd still need to do just as much prep underneath it. I'm sure it would slow the effects of settling but it's not going to stop it.

I'll add one piece of advice- do NOT use the polymeric "locking sand"- it will look great for a short while but eventually will crumble, and it's also pretty spendy and not foolproof to apply.

5. speedluvn

I saw the price of the plastic base AND still have to do same amount of prep work. It appears that it’s assist the DIY’er with paver placement.

Or am I wrong?

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Three words.....Colored Stamped Concrete :Poke:

7. speedluvn

I’m considering that as well. How much do I have to concern myself with cracking, provided that I have a good foundation?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Concrete cracks. Period.

ducnut and G 97 like this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get a lawn chair and some beer and hire a couple Messicans to do it.

Banditracer and Mot Okstef like this.
  10. speedluvn

I have two solid concrete projects under my belt.

With the stamped concrete, how do I add the control cracks/cuts?

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You can make more cuts than required. Like a 4' or 5' pattern. It will look like 5' square chunks of stone or granite. Looks even better on a 45 degree angle.

It will crack, just make it crack where you want it to.

speedluvn likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I haven't places a stamped slab. I would think some of it would depend on the pattern and size of the slab.

13. speedluvn

I have the urge to tackle this project. I also don’t wanna pay for a project that I can do myself. I also will be building a deck along side the patio. The patio is so that I can enjoy a fire pit.
    I’m in the planning stage now.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Both my front and back paver patios have a poured concrete base under them and then the paver bricks installed on top.

ducnut likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Pavers or concrete both have advantages.
    Pavers can be pulled up, replaced, added, moved. But they can sink, wash away from erosion, have grass grow through them.

Concrete will last MUCH longer, but it's permanent, probably cheaper than pavers.

16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I used these hoping that it would help with the settling.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Brock-24-in-W-36-in-L-Polypropylene-Paver-Base-Panel/3609858
    Been in place for 3 years. I dug down, somewhat leveled the dirt, tamped it, then tamped/skreeted the paver base. I had a little bit of settling in one spot. Most people probably would have lived with it, but, I'm a little particular. The settling was at a joint in the panels. Pulled up the pavers, pulled up the panels, added a bag of base and reskreeted. Pretty easy fix.
    I did use the polymeric sand and didn't have any major issues. Was a little bit of a pain to get the polymeric sand off of the pavers that I pulled up to do the fix. I laid the pavers out and powerwashed it all off. I then did a fresh coat of polymeric over the entire patio for a fresh clean look.
    If possible, design in a grade for runoff. Wasn't possible for my installation, so, I have a little bit of puddling which probably caused the little bit of settling.
    In hindsight, I kinda wish I would have poured out a concrete base to compensate for any ground settling under the stone base.

17. speedluvn

Im planning my final dimensions now.

Was it a renovation project to clean vet up the poured concrete?

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I pour concrete slabs for a paving contractor friend of mine. We pour them about 2.5"-3" thick, then he places the pavers on top, he glues down the edge pavers, that holds the others in place. It's a huge time saver for him, I believe the cost is about the same as a packed gravel base.

ducnut and G 97 like this.
  19. speedluvn

I’ve seen some stamped concrete illustrations and I like the end result. I’m now considering stamped concrete. Im now trying to determine which look to go with.

20. speedluvn

My thinking is if I’m pouring concrete I might as well color & stamp it.