1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overall Finish

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by SClark, May 28, 2002.

1. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

i perfer frankensteins' castle....parts all over the place waiting to be bastardized. i got a left arm over there in the corner next to the KTM DUKE II motor....

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Originally posted by Mongo
    What is pushy is the fact that you seem to feel the LW bikes deserve more than the other bikes.

I don't feel it deserves more, but I do question how any program(or facet) for the SV can be improved. I race them, therefore I care. I care by asking questions. If I didn't care, I wouldn't ask.

You aren't satisfied with getting an equal amount, you always want more than everyone else because you're evidently more special than they are. It's an everpresent thread running through everything you ask for, and this attitude of entitlement I guess is what gets annoying to me more so than the suggestions themselves. Asking for the same I understand, asking for more I don't.
    If that's the way you interpret it, then I can't help that either.

It seems you refuse to understand that the LW bikes while growing in number they are still and probably always will be second class citizens in racing and all the suggestions in the world won't change that.
    Yes, but look how far we've come. I know that through the suggestions of every SV rider that you've received, we've forged the SV classes into some super-competitive, fun, and rewarding racing.

What it all comes down to is a suggestion that we the sanctioning body, and payer of the purse, give the LW's more money for doing well against the bigger bikes is preposterous.

Never did I say that Bonus had to equal Dollars. Just a touch of recognition for a job well done.

I'll give WERA $100. With it, I'd like to see put together a little metal honorary pin(or leather patch, et al) that says "WERA LW Endurance Top 10 Club". (I'd do it myself, but copyrights and all). (I figure you can get at least 50-75 trinkets to hand out during the remainder of this season, and maybe some next season.)

And, at the end of the Overall ceremony(or during the LW ceremony), if any LW teams have broken into the top ten, you award the team members a little trinket, and congratulate them for a stupendous effort.

I'll even put up an additional $100 to be awarded to the first LW team to break into the top 5.

You can list it on the contingency page as
    "Steve Clark thinks LWs deserve a little more overall recognition, as they'll probably never get to the overall podium, so he put his money where is keyboard is."

How's that sound?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Works for me, I'll run it by the boss and we'll go from there.

4. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Kind of silly, actually. Sort of like those little stickers that CCS used to hand out for top 3 to stick to your helmet. I think I still have a pile of those in the bottom of my glove compartment...

Speaking as a former LW rider and a present MW rider, differentiating the LW bikes with some sort of separate award would tend to give the impression that the LW bikes were sort of just running around having their own race outside the actual endurance race, and that they weren't actually expected to do well in the "real" race. This in turn would tend to lessen the respect and recognition for a job well done on occasions when a LW bike does break into the top ten; i.e., the LW guys are doing their own thing, so who cares?

If I was still on a LW bike, I'd be kind of offended by the suggestion that it was unlikely that I'd ever get on the podium or even into the top 10. This is endurance racing--anything can happen, and it usually does. Rather than looking for ways to reward teams for subpar finishes, why not take that $100 and put it toward raising the performance bar a little? Put a 10 gallon tank on the bike. Build a motor that'll make 90HP for six hours straight. Get faster riders. Get your pit stops down to 2.5 seconds. Get into the spirit of endurance--there are more ways to make any bike competitive under endurance rules than in any other class. If you want respect and recognition, figure out a way to win under the same rules everybody else is following. Pin or no pin, putting an SV high in the standings is how you'll get recognition. Until then, nobody cares.

5. AoD Jim

AoD Jim Well-Known Member

You can give pins out as long as Bradly Champion, Robby Card and Dave Yakov are not allowed to run the 4 hour at summit on the same team.

It's bad enough getting passed by these guys on SVs. I'd hate to get my ass kicked by them.

:)

(sorry if I missed any other fast guys, these are the ones I remember)

6. JurgenW

JurgenW Well-Known Member

we'll forgive you :)

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

youve got my place looking just as bad. fzr motors here and there. 600-400 whatever. little dirtbikes all around. whats that burt rusted tetnus thing over there?

8. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Mongo: "You aren't satisfied with getting an equal amount, you always want more than everyone else because you're evidently more special than they are. It's an everpresent thread running through everything you ask for, and this attitude of entitlement I guess is what gets annoying to me more so than the suggestions themselves. Asking for the same I understand, asking for more I don't."

SClark: "f that's the way you interpret it, then I can't help that either."

Then SClark says:
    "'ll give WERA $100. With it, I'd like to see put together a little metal honorary pin(or leather patch, et al) that says "WERA LW Endurance Top 10 Club". (I'd do it myself, but copyrights and all). (I figure you can get at least 50-75 trinkets to hand out during the remainder of this season, and maybe some next season.)

And, at the end of the Overall ceremony(or during the LW ceremony), if any LW teams have broken into the top ten, you award the team members a little trinket, and congratulate them for a stupendous effort.

I'll even put up an additional $100 to be awarded to the first LW team to break into the top 5."

Uh, you don't think that you are wanting the same as everyone else? You think you aren't asking to be placed as "special"? You think that you aren't asking to be treated different from everyone else?

How about this - everyone who places second to AOD or Vesrah gets a gay pin that reads "Cose, but no cigar"? Or, if a 600 gets into the top three O/A, they get a pin that reads "Bigger ain't better"? I think that you should act like guys like Champion and Yakov who actually can win on SV's vs bigger bikes (and the other shit load of guys that pass me and others on 600's). They aren't up on the podium saying "Hey, why don't you all kiss my ass because I ride a small bike, yet I am winning."

This all goes to the same thing JU always tells you in your common bitch threads - shut up and race. You sound like a Sally and are giving those who do ride small bikes a bad name by treated them like kids at Daycare with a special pin. "Mommy, my tummy hurts and all the kids at school keep picking on me. Will you make it better by taking me to McDonald's for a Happy Meal?"

9. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

I'm noticing a trend here. L1 doesn't seem to want anything to do with politics around here. He only seems to want to ride his race bike. What a concept.:p

10. Girlfriend of Mid-Atl Rcr

Girlfriend of Mid-Atl Rcr Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to go with Scott on this one. If you're going to spend the time and money to travel around and compete in WERA National events (Endurance) ... then you might as well spend the additional funds needed to get a bike that's going to reward you for doing the same. If its an SV that you want, do as he said and get a bigger tank and spend the money on things that'll improve your pit stops. Start talking to riders now about racing with your team next year. If you put the program together and get things lined up now, you never know what'll happen ...

11. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

I agree with Steve that the SV cannot compete on a regular basis against the bigger bikes. They will never be competitive in the championship - ever. Just a fact of life. Maybe, at a track like Tally, in the pouring rain, with top riders, and the top teams crashing out an SV might make it to the top 3. Otherwise, you guys are battling for the LW title, and that's it.

12. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Emily, Sharon, how am I doing? :)

Originally posted by Scott
    Kind of silly, actually. Sort of like those little stickers that CCS used to hand out for top 3 to stick to your helmet. I think I still have a pile of those in the bottom of my glove compartment...

Not really... but if you think so. (I've never spent over $1000 / race on a sprint, even in races where I totalled the bike)

and that they weren't actually expected to do well in the "real" race. This in turn would tend to lessen the respect and recognition for a job well done on occasions when a LW bike does break into the top ten; i.e., the LW guys are doing their own thing, so who cares?
    Reread Mongo's rant about LW being 2nd Class citizens. We are and nobody expects us to do much more, apparantly. :rolleyes:

If I was still on a LW bike
    Well, ya aint, and you aren't a team owner and captain of one, either. This little perk is a nice team motivator. Striving for top 3 is like Somalia striving for food. There is food in the world, but they just can't seem to find it on a regular basis.

I'd be kind of offended by the suggestion that it was unlikely that I'd ever get on the podium
    I wasn't offended, but it occurred to me that it is a LOT more difficult to do than 4cyl multi's. So, I thought I'd bring up some alternatives. But, I would be offended if I was on a MW or HW(Especially HW) bike that DIDN'T make the top 3.

This is endurance racing--anything can happen, and it usually does. Rather than looking for ways to reward teams for subpar finishes
    A LW in the top 10 is not subpar. It's a damn fine accomplishment. I'm sorry that you can't see that clearly.

why not take that $100 and put it toward raising the performance bar a little? Put a 10 gallon tank on the bike. Build a motor that'll make 90HP for six hours straight. Get faster riders. Get your pit stops down to 2.5 seconds. Get into the spirit of endurance--there are more ways to make any bike competitive under endurance rules than in any other class.
    I've got 6.25 gallons. I've got consistent riders, which I'll take over fast ones any day. If you get a bigger fuel tank, your pit stops will take longer. And last but not least, if MB uses a stock motor for it reliability, then so will I. (Frank has forgotten more about motor building than I will ever know.)

If you want respect and recognition, figure out a way to win under the same rules everybody else is following. Pin or no pin, putting an SV high in the standings is how you'll get recognition. Until then, nobody cares.
    I'll refer you to JurgenW's post. He and MB are the most likely to break a top 5 at one of the shorter tracks, so I'll let his expertise do the talking.

It's funny, but some of you are acting like I asked for a freakin' head start, or for LW's to be spotted 30 laps. It's not like that. We're out there kicking some serious ass over some bigger bikes. A little "atta boy/girl" goes a long way.

13. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

i want pins too!!!

hey, while we are on the subject...

i want a pin, or a trophy, or a participation ribbon (or whatever the hell i or someone else needs to stroke our little egos) if i happen to beat any sv's on my stock motored ex.
    :rolleyes:

14. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Re: Emily, Sharon, how am I doing? :)

Performance indexing - now that would be interesting!!!!

15. AoD Jim

AoD Jim Well-Known Member

Re: Emily, Sharon, how am I doing? :)

Not if you build a good dump can.

You are asking for WERA to change the way it's doing things on a public BBS. We're all WERA members. I would expect some disagreement.

16. PKS Racing Services

PKS Racing Services Timing and Crewing

It would have the same ugly ring to it if you suggested a girls class cause "they'll never win on their own". Screw that. Did someone hold a weapon to your head and make you buy the SV? Were there no 600's available to be purchased anywhere?

You can whine or you can shut up and race, but you can't whine constantly and win. Ride the damn bike that you chose to ride. Take all of that angst and do something with it besides talk about how displeased you are with everything. If you want to race with a group that sets aside special circumstances for those who can't possibly win by normal standards, then go race powderpuff.

You don't hear Robby and the rest of then whining because they ride an SV; watch and learn.

17. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

hey, I have raced a GS500 since '94. I really know what underpowered is.
    If you want to WIN....race what wins(spend the jack on a "BIG" competitive bike).
    If you want to do laps....do laps.

Just quit crying about losing.

18. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Or buy one from Team Xtreme

Uh huh huh huh, uh huh huh huh. You said dump can! :D

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

he isnt talking about a place for you to do your morning "grumpy"

20. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Steve, I love ya like a brother, but I'm gonna go w/ the other side on this one. Whatever the reason, you're running a lw bike in a high caliber series against bigger bikes, bigger budgets and arguably, bigger talent. You should be very happy w/ your results. You've put in some great finishes this year and last. With the exception of the gnf when you decided to use the battery as a fred flinstone brake assist on the back tire, you've been on the box every time you've run an endurance. Whats a pin, plaque or trophy going to add? Last year when we won the lw at summit, we finished 11th overall. Sure, I was dissapointed that most of the results only show the top ten OA, but WE WON!! This year it looks like you've got an even better team and you've got to admit, the payeout from Suzuki in the lw class is very generous. Keep on plugging away, you guys are on a tear! You'll be in the top 10 OA for sure at some point. I think an additional award for "doing well against the big boys on my little sv" actually cheapens your accomplishments. We all know what an sv is and what your up against in the OA field. Belive me, I hate it when I get passed on the 750 by an sv, but it dosen't change the way I ride or my race strategy. Good luck!!