1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overall Finish

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by SClark, May 28, 2002.

1. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

What's the importance of an Overall finish? Besides the fact that there is a trophy for it, is there a better payout than just taking a podium in class? Are their contingencies that pay particularly for an overall?

Riding an SV, I don't ever forsee being on the Overall Podium, Hell, I'd be elated with a top 10.

So, if there is a bonus for top 3 Overall, how about a bonus for any LW teams that break top 10? MB was 12th at VIR at the Red flag restart.

2. JurgenW

JurgenW Well-Known Member

I agree, it is very tough to break into the top ten with an SV on the faster and longer tracks.

It would be interesting to figure out a system that rewards the individual classes for finishing ahead of other classes - not sure how. However as far as I know, the price money is based on overall position which puts the SV teams in a disadvantage.

On the other hand - we knew that when we started :rolleyes:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is a purse for the Overall that pays better than the class finish. Right now I don't believe any of the contingencies pay overall but it has been done in the past.

No bonuses for LW Teams sorry. If an OEM or other sponsor wants too we love it but til then no dice, right now things are okay but we normally can't even pay the purse we already have with the income form the Endurance races much less pay the entire days bills (track rental, insurance, personnel etc...).

Now for a semi-serious question. Isn't it enough that you have a class in the series and even have contingency money this year? Why is it that no matter what we do it is seen as not enough for the LW bikes? At what point will it be enough to satisfy you? Especially since you are the one who chose the bike you race, no one forced you into it... Sorry but every so often people always asking for more gets a bit on my nerves, especially since it's always the LW bikes, I have yet to see a post from Mark Junge asking for more money for the Overall leader since they put on more of the show and provide more extraneous advertising through their sponsors and posters and huge print ads that help WERA out by advertising the series. He would have more of a reason to ask for more money than any other team out there yet he doesn't (of course now that I've given him ideas....). So why would you feel the need to do so?

4. JurgenW

Mongo, you are absolutely right, we are very happy to have Suzuki as a contingency and WERA's payout. I guess I don't kow exactly how WERA pays, based on class finish and/or overall?

We are very lucky to have WERA as a body and enjoy every minute of it - don't take it as critisism rather than jealousy :)

Thanks again for putting on a great event - VIR was a blast.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry about that Jurgen - just busting Steve's chops a bit, you and I typed our responses at the same time, I didn't mean you (or any of the other teams for that matter). The LW class actually has brought a lot to the Endurance Series and if we can get a LW biased sponsor to do something to reward the LW's or even the MW's for overall finishes it'd be great.

While I'm at it - thanks to everyone - racers, officials, track employess, ems guys, flat out everyone. You were all as much a part of this event being a success as anyone else was.

6. SClark

Hey man, it's just a suggestion. You wanna bust balls, bust away. I know where you're coming from, cuz I push until the wall falls, but...

If it weren't for the power of suggestion, there wouldn't be a LW class, and there wouldn't be Suzuki $ there. It took a year to get the class, and another to get the money.

Who knows how the next suggestion will affect next year, right?

XOXO,

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What you're missing is that the LW class was coming - with or without your pushing to excess, the market forces dictated it - the same for the money (I'd already asked and made Suzuki aware of our plans for the class and kept them up to speed with the turnouts as the year went along in order to help them make a decision for year 2).

Suggestions are cool and you know we respond to them. Pushing to extreme is just annoying at times. Ball busitng at those times is a fun way to release the energy :)

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

speaking of lw bikes. i need to get paid just for bringing my poor sad hawk out to the track. have you got a contengency that will pay me to not put it in the way of others on the track?

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'd be very interested in this too. Make sure riders of vintage 2 stroke bikes are eligible. :)

10. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

MW didn't have a problem breaking into the top three at VIR. Harwell was on a mission.....:cool:....plus the ever present force of AOD.

11. SClark

Rereading my post, I don't see where I was pushy, rude, or anything other than inquizative(sp).

If you find it annoying that I suggest things, then there's not much I can do about that.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is pushy is the fact that you seem to feel the LW bikes deserve more than the other bikes. You aren't satisfied with getting an equal amount, you always want more than everyone else because you're evidently more special than they are. It's an everpresent thread running through everything you ask for, and this attitude of entitlement I guess is what gets annoying to me more so than the suggestions themselves. Asking for the same I understand, asking for more I don't. It seems you refuse to understand that the LW bikes while growing in number they are still and probably always will be second class citizens in racing and all the suggestions in the world won't change that. It's just a fact of the market place we are in - Americans and racers as a whole don't want small bikes, the OEM's and sanctioning bodies have no choice but to cater to that desire if we wish to stay in business. I don't necessarily like it, I'd love to treat the LW bikes as total equals and for the most part on our end we do.

What it all comes down to is a suggestion that we the sanctioning body and payer of the purse give the LW's more money for doing well against the bigger bikes is preposterous. It's no different than any other "suggestion" that asks us to do somehting because a rider feels his bike of choice should be more special than the next riders bike of choice.

13. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Too bad Papa doesn't read the endurance forum, I'd ask him to pass the popcorn. :D

14. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Why have an overall at all????

15. JurgenW

I think, we are drifting into a philosophical debate that will exist as long as we have smaller bikes.
    I have to state that WERA and the WERA community recognizes the achievements of 125s, SVs etc. in a much better degree than other organizations that I've raced with - which we all should appreciate. That being the case, some of the industry insiders (Suzuki and product manufacturers) are following.
    We all know that it takes a lot of money to transform a SV ladies sport cruiser into a competitive racebike but if we wouldn't like - why are we doing it (I have 3 of them and 2 125s).
    The fact that our laptimes will never match (generally speaking) the ones of bigger superbikes is a fact of life and technology. The SV has been a great representative to the LW motorcycle community but it's NOT and never will be a GSXR.
    Some of us have no idea how lucky we are, that this great racing community appreciates the fast LW riders on an almost or equal level as MW or HW riders - believe me guys, I have seen otherwise ...
    So - instead of debating the overal finish and payout situation, I would love to see more product contingency within the LW classes. Having 30 LW bikes on the grid will help to do so - and representing ourselves (LW guys) as semi-professional teams/riders in appearance and attitude will also aid this process. Back to the ...
    don't ask what the country can do for you but ....

Just a thought from a different perspective

Jurgen
    www.teaminfotech.com

16. WERA29

Because that's the way endurance racing works. It's the same for cars and bikes. It's like a race within a race. The overall win is the big win, and you're also battling with other people within your class.

It's awesome to see smaller bikes like a 600 finish 2nd overall (or even win) against 1000's and 750's.

If you didn't have classes within the overall you'd lose a lot of people who are going for class championships and class contingency. Sure, the overall win is the goal of every team but you have to be realistic given your level of equipment and resources.

I like seeing full grids in endurance and if you did away with classes I think a lot of people would drop out, especially those whiny LW guys. ;)

17. JurgenW

Naaa - we wouldn't whine, we would just contract all available rain gods ...:D

18. WERA29

I dunno if that would work. THE Rain Director himself was at VIR this past weekend and there was only one brief (albiet funny) thunderstorm warning but no rain. :cool: :D

19. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

"have you got a contengency that will pay me to not put it in the way of others on the track?"

yeah, i think honey offered to sell it to anyone/anywhere so she don't have to see it in the back of the truck....it's natural habitat. :p

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

first: you suck
    second: you have no room to talk about broken bikes. your basement looks like jim jones has been feeding kool-aid to bikes down there. just dead bodies all over the place.