1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on termination wanted.

Discussion in 'General' started by V5 Racer, Oct 25, 2010.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

So, say you worked somewhere 13 years. Business gets slow, and the company merges with another (both companies owned by the same family). You are told your position is being eliminated, but they want you to stay on and train your successor for 2-3 weeks. Thoughts? Should I be cranky? Happy?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What's "your" exist package like? Does it hinge upon your training your replacement?

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Exit package is regular pay for the time I stay to train.

4. Team G

Team G Wake me when its over

+1. Better be a helluva nice severance package. Although, its better than being asked to train someone and then get sliced. Still a kick in the nuts tho. I'd pass and walk.

5. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Every day you're still employed and looking for your new gig is a day you're not unemployed.

[edited to make sense...]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Be careful if you do this. It could affect your ability to collect unemployment.

7. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

You certainly want to leave on good terms! you may need them as a reference for your next job or they may call you back. Stay positive and remember when one door closes another one opens....good luck :up:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and you have your termination paperwork is in hand? How about med coverage?

Regular pay for 2 weeks don't cut it for me. ;)

9. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

If your position is being eliminated, what do they need a "successor" to replace you for?

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

quadruple pay for your troubles. Otherwise let them swing in the wind.

11. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I'd ask them that.

12. Bobb Shyy

Bobb Shyy Probably gonna get banned

Mmmmmm. Interesting.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's difficult.

No paperwork as yet.

All insurance is through my wife's job.

I have several good prospects for another job, and if I get another job in the next day or two it will be a challenge to stay.

14. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Do that and walk.Well,that's what I would do.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If they are severing you I would negotiate...you'll be glad to stay but you need 2 weeks pay for every year you were employed to make it worth training your replacement. Otherwise...respectfully turn them down and find the door. If they won't do that maybe they will at least meet you half way.

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I laughed when they said that, and gave them the "yeah, right". Companies are owned by two brothers who had an acrimonious split 6 or 7 years ago. Brother one threw me under the bus by putting me in the middle between them. Now brother 2 is back and in charge, and brother 1 is MIA.

17. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Yeah, definitely negotiate the exit terms. Where's Hyperdyne when you need him?

18. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Yes, I know it's very difficult to train someone to take your place and you're left to fin for yourself...If you get another job that's different, they should understand your situation and yes I would leave (on good terms) at that point.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

In my experience in management, we were always told never to say anything negative if someone called for a reference on an ex-employee, unless of course they stole something or started a fight at work etc. Even then, we were instructed to just say no comment. They were worried that somehow a negative review could come back to haunt us.

I know that kind of defeats the purpose of a reference check, but our opinion was that they were gone anyway so why start something.

What are they going to say....."He quit because we were going to lay him off and he wouldn't train his replacement".

F'em

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got any sick time left?