1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on termination wanted.

Discussion in 'General' started by V5 Racer, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

As others have stated, it appears your employers have shown their hand regarding how they handle/value their employer/employee relationships.

Personally, I would also be somewhat "cranky" if I were in your place.

That said, I find it hard to put a positive value on the relationship given the course of action they chose to pursue.

If it were me, I would have contacted you personally, explaining the company's circumstances and letting you know that your position was going to be taken over by another individual. At that point of the conversation, I would have acknowledged your contribution to the company and worked out some sort of compensation package above and beyond your salary to assist in the change.

To me that would have been an above the board approach to the conversation that needed to take place.

You do have some power in the position you are in. New guy is not up to speed nor does it appear he is fully qualified to take on the tasks of the position. I would ask for additional compensation in order to train the new guy.
    It can be done in a civil manner.

If they balk, it will truly show how they operate their business and how they value the talent they employ. The only thing left at that point is to ask yourself whether or not you want to be associated with a company that operates in such a manner......

Good Luck K-

2. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

+1

If they are under the assumption that your job can be trained and passed on to a successor in two weeks and it feasibly can't, their management is short on sight and will feel those results in both the short term and long term. Leave with professionalism and be confident in your future. Definitely offer them an open door to bring you back on as a consultant in the future, where you can almost assuredly name your rate before negotiations begin. If they end up in a pickle, you just might be heading back to the old workplace to help unscrew things.

It's tough to suck up hurt feelings sometimes, especially when that kind of time has been given.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

"The standard" for a employee to end the working relationship is to part in a cordial and civilized matter, but the when a employer hands you the pink slip Monday morning with no warning whatsoever, it's considered normal practice. Funny world. :)

Sorry to hear Kurt.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

"The Company" is an entity, a thing... It has no feelings or emotions. Who decides exit packages, bonuses, or nothing at all, is the leadership team or the owners. They have choices to make to ensure the future of the company and bank accounts. And unfortunately, that means that at times they have to make decisions that honest, hardworking people don't like.

On the other hand, companies everyday provide benefits, training, above average salaries, benefits beyond sustainability, just to retain good employees, only to have them seperate for $10K more per year.

The door swings both ways in the corporate world. The best anyone can do, is try to do the best for themselves and their families. At the end of the day, what matters is you have done the best job that you can, and you as a person can hold your head up, and be respected by your industry peers, and maintain your name as a solid performer.

The solution is to be your own boss.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

So I'm sitting here watching Mad Men, and now find myself asking "What would Don Draper do?". :D

6. Rico888

Start his own firm.....:D

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Drink a lot, smoke a lot, and bang a lot a chicks.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nail a big tittied secratary and then smoke something.

9. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

beat me to it!

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Shouldn't you be in the garage getting the bike ready to go to tally? :D

11. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

unfortunately no. I'm sitting here refreshing my GD&T while going over someone else's work tolerancing prints. Garage sounds like more fun.

12. Rico888

Have had my challenges but at the end of the day it's been worth it... :up:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  13. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

As a business owner for 17 years now, I can say these two things.....

1] Stay the two weeks, train the guy. Leave on good terms.

2] I know you say you have something lined up, but if you wanted to get back at this company - best revenge is to go collect unemployment. And do it for as long as they let you. I think you can even reup once after you run out so you can get a year or 18 months or something.

I only say #2 because the company that is letting you go has to kick in and pay unemployment for as long as you are on it. I don't know what it is these days but i remember the first time that happened to me, I made sure I didn't LAY off anyone after that!

14. caferace

caferace No.

You do realize that sounds pretty f*cked up, don't you?

-jim

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Don't show the replacement anything that he could not easily get from the manuals. Just spend all day chatting with him and aimlessly punching keys. On the way out, offer to come back as a consultant at 30x your current hourly. A lot of companies actually get stuck in that bind.

My brother ran all the Outdoor Facilities for a major Ivy League college, he was there over 20 years. They forced him out in March. Now they are paying him five times as much as a consultant, without any supervisor, to work when he feels like it. :up:

16. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Ummm yeah no.......... What that sounds like is instead of me hiring people in the winter and laying them off in the summer (mine is seasonal work) I hired less people and made it an all year round job for the ones that did get hired.

Why should I pay all year round for people to collect unemployment (and it was a lot of fuckin money too) when they were signing on for a 5-6 month job to begin with. I changed my hiring practices is all. It didn't mean that people got fired instead of layed off (although I see companies doing that and challenging unemployment claims)

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Don Draper would smoke and screw everything.....and then buy the company!

18. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Kurt, you'll never loose taking the high road, as has been stated, leave on good terms, show your the bigger man, train this guy so he thinks you ARE THE MAN! They will ask you to come back and consult once he stumbles, then it will be on your terms. ;)

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Burning bridges satisfies the inner pyromaniac, but is rarely a good idea.

BTW, sorry to hear of the situation. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  20. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

hyperdyne gave good advice.

I am of the notion to 'train" the other fellow in a "mediocre" way and use time to find employment.

Use this time to find a job. at least you got a heads up rather than showing up and being told you were no longer needed as has happened to many I know.

If you find a job, walk as soon as you can. I learned many years ago, companies today are not the companies our parents grew up working for. Years of service are rarely appreciated anymore and they will drop you in a heartbeat if they find some one just as good for less money or better than you that will take the same money. I was a manager at a nationwide company and was told to use the above criteria. That let me know were I stood with them as well.

Also, as far as the past employment reference is concerned. I was as ways told never give any recommendations no matter how good the person was and don't say anything bad about the thief I just fired.

I was instructed by a well researched HR department only confirm dates of employment, position held, and rate of pay. Thats it.