1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

on/off throttle surge gsxr750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ScottyJFZ1, Jul 27, 2010.

1. PapaBear

PapaBear Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wound up adjusting my TPS and about a month later I got a custom map for my full system and PCIII. Everything seems to be fine 6500 miles later.

If you are able to then I would do a Dyno run. As far as I know, adjusting the TPS is the only known solution to the herky jerky problem. If I hadn't adjusted it, I think I would have sold the bike.

2. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Had it dyno tuned rode it for 2000miles with HJ problem...took it back because i figured the map needed tweaking...still have HJ...

So I guess I could take it back to my shop and have them adjust the TPS and then check the map on a quick dyno run......since I originally paid for a custom duyno tuned map.

OR I could try adjusting the TPS myself and see if it makes a difference...

3. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

By adjusting the TPS sensor to read over what it is supposed to you are making the ECU think that you are at 1or2% throttle when you have the throttle closed. The reason that this helps your problem is because you are ADDING MORE FUEL at closed throttle by tricking the ECU with the TPS... This effects the ENTIRE map and is not nessisary.

Try adding big numbers at 0% throttle from 2000-8000 rpm... try +50 and go ride it.
    You aren't going to hurt anything by going +100 at zero % throttle.

4. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Well i just talked to my shop and he said should affect it to adjust it properly and just to make sure that the bottom light is lit on the PC3 when at zero throttle....

If this does not solve it then I will look at the map and make some changes...

Thanks for the help...

Scotty J.

stay tuned

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Are you running a slip-on exhaust?

Have you disabled your exhaust servo motor?

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98240

My 06 GSXR600 surged and I discovered the servo flapper valve was staying shut..then it would open..the bike went from 40hp to 104 in that instant...SURGE.

A little safety wire to keep the flapper open, and I'm good to go.

6. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Oh so now the plot thickens....jeesh!!

Yes have a SBK pipe on it...so now I have this list to start checking..
    1. set TPS so it is in the middle to upper line
    2. PC3 also has TPS setting..so set that as well
    3. Check exhaust servo motor
    4. could be servo motor for secondary butterflies although when I got a code it was code C34 and after making sure all plugs plugged in rode it for an hour and never thru another code...
    5. Give it back to shop and let them check all this stuff...NAh that costs $$$$

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I had the same issue with my 03, and a Timing Retard Eliminator took care of it.

8. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

One thing I will add is when you let off the gas the tone of the engine changes..seems like something might be shutting down....or it could just be going staight to idle speed which is why the tone changes...

I hope to play around with a few things this weekend.

Thanks again everybody...

9. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Invisible Brake Lines

Scotty - Let me know the solution since I'm having the same problem. I took it to the shop to dyno tune and it fixed it just a tad bit, but it's still has the same issue. I have a full-exhaust, I don't know how much difference that'll make.

Thanks,

10. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

OK....this is my first FI street bike so I am going to try these things on my own...I read the the service manual I need to take the Air cleaner box off and may need to lift the trottle bodies up a little to get to the TPS..Hope I can get to it without all that stuff.

11. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

You might want to rethink your solution if you think that is a lot of "stuff."

12. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

well I have had it all off before so no its not a lot of stuff, just a few extra mins....I was hoping I would be able to reach it with just the fairing off...but i guess not...

13. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

TPS adjusted and really no difference....still jerky maybe a smidgin better but with line at top below 5krpm its boggy and feels like it just dives...next

1. look at the map and see if I can make any changes that might help.

2. unplug PC3 see if difference or still there

3. Ivan's TRE...

and then most likely a check of the secondary butterflies...Hope i do not have to go this far..

I tell you its pissing me off thats for sure...

Stay Tuned!!

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

TRE will fix it.

15. Gigantic

I wrote an article about Ivan's TRE about 3-4 years ago, for Trackdaymag.com. the article isn't up anymore, it got lost when we switched servers, so I'll post it here- the symptoms that your describing sound identical to the issues I was having at the time.

16. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Thanks...i did talk to Ivan yesterday and for $110 i seems well worth the money if it can solve my problem. My gut tells me thats too easy of a fix and if i spend the money on it it will not work. I think I will order it Monday.

Thanks again for all those who have chimed in...after doing more research I guess I could have done a search. :eek::eek:

Going to hook up laptop to see what the map looks like but most likely not mess with it until I get the TRE. I only want to make one change at a time.

17. Gigantic

Forget your laptop unless you absolutely know what you're doing . I will bet dollars to donuts that the TRE will solve your problem

18. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

Your on!! you win I get you donuts...if i win you pay for my TRE DEAL?

:beer::beer::Poke::Poke:

19. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Why do you think it is too easy? Why do you think he makes it? The ECU retards ignition at low rpms in 1-4. Plug the TRE, the ECU stops retarding. That simple, works fine.

20. ScottyJFZ1

ScottyJFZ1 UVBNFZD

I am going to order it tomorrow. We shall see...nothing usually happens that easy for me. Thanks again I will let you know...

Scotty J.

Hope to be back at the track soon!!! I needs a good track day!! hopefully jennings in October.