1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Jul 10, 2021.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Honestly, don't care and haven't for a long time. I'll watch some Winter stuff, but not much.

Buell1965 likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my time when I paid attention.......but not since Hamman and Rezazedeh were lifting back in ‘04. At that same time period is when the IOC started sticking their noses in the rules in the organization I lifted with.Why? I don’t know. But On an athlete level, we were better off without them for many reasons and very few to keep them around.

3. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Be cool if whomever keeps their politics out of the mix while they compete , but rest assured some jacklegg no name asshole will declare this the moment .

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think the boat has sailed on that wish.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It is, in 2024. A short field version with a squad of like 12 total and 7 v 7.

A lot of people are stoked about it but I ain’t one of those people.

So, to answer your question: nope.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am looking forward to the Olympics as always. Some of the NBC stuff is a bit much, but there are special Olympic moments like when I saw a North Korean official put the gold medal on a South Korean gymnast in 2012.

There is stuff you don’t see on TV in the US, like the insane fans in handball. We thought it was sort of a throw away ticket that came with our package and it ended up the second best event we went to.

Best was the US basketball semi final win and our 4 seconds on TV waving Old Glory near the end of the game.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I kinda like the Ozzy Man Reviews flippy spinny shit.

Fair dinkum glutes on that Sheila.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  8. britx303

Lacrosse,Serious? I hate to see Lacrosse get sold out to the IOC. Damn

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah, that would certainly be more pleasant or palatable for the majority of the viewing public. But I don't know that I would call them an asshole. If you've grinded away in relative obscurity in financial hardship in most cases for years, and this is your shining moment, who am I to say how you should commemorate your experience? It likely would not be the way I would do it, but it has been some time since I have been in my early 20's. In any case, I celebrate their striving and achievements, and tend not to get too hung up on extraneous matters.

Buell1965 likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap and it has been watered down, slowed down and packaged.

Oh well, the worlds are only a few years away.

11. britx303

Yeah figures. No regard for anything sacred. I double stand by my IOC hatred.

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shit yeah, remember when some turnip had his "Mongo Who?" sign.....

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was off about the year, It's 2028 and it's in the early stages of being added.

If they want to add it just add Box. Let the maple syrup drinkers have something they can win at. :D

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Is that why he was living in Lancaster? I know the field hockey squad had Spooky Nook as their home base, or at least did.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I believe they are supposed to be representing their country, not making it all about themselves.
    The struggle to get there is a given for all of them.

mattys281 likes this.
  16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

No? Refresh my memory, lol!

17. britx303

100% correct

Buell1965 likes this.
  18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I stopped watching when they stopped opening the broadcast with that "agony of defeat" guy wiping out on the ski jump.
    That was awesome.

Quicktoy and casjoker like this.
  19. joec

joec brace yourself

That's lame.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I am comfortable with people representing themselves and their country in a way that I wouldn't necessarily do, perhaps because I haven't lived their journey? I am slow to pass judgment in these matters. If there are consequences, they will be theirs, not mine. Anyway, I focus on the endeavor and the achievement. Their choices to celebrate their achievements will not alter my admiration of their accomplishments.