1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Anyone else getting pumped for them? Man, I love them, Summer or Winter. I hoover down all the coverage I can. The YouTube algorithm definitely has my number, lol. Just watched Karsten Warholm (go Norway) break the oldest standing track and field record, mens 400 meter hurdles, held for 30ish years, about a week ago.

Track and field, swimming, diving, gymnastics, shooting, archery, yes to all please. And whatever else I can cram in.

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I love it.
    Pissed Richardson won't run the 100m though.
    Trials were fun to watch too.

Yzasserina likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Between the initial postponement in all the controversy in the years that followed, I just couldn't make myself care about it. But randomly catching the Hercules meet yesterday with a 100 m race that was pretty much an Olympic final review mildly moved my needle. Maybe there is still hope.

Turbotech likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not really. Too many sports have been added or stay on the card that have taken away from the “real” olympics to care anymore.

Dressage? Skateboarding? Bmx? Synchronized swimming? Sailing?

Shave it back a bit, not every sport needs to be there.

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Bittersweet. My son's girlfriend was on the US Field Hockey team and they didn't qualify for this years games. So she stayed around for the 2024 games but the entire process turned into a shit show; two weeks ago she officially retired from the team. We always suspected that her parents were more excited she was on the team then her. It would have been a real wanking to them if they had made it this year and then they wouldn't be allowed to see her in person.

On the plus side, now that she's done with that they're moving back to the Ville, and she already has a position as coach at a private school.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

RD, what happened? They DNQed?

The kid plays the fockey but we don’t follow it above the HS and a bit of kollege all that close.

Sorry to read that. :(

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Not a fan of the IOC.

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

No motors? No real interest. Plus the corporate level of bullshit, mountains of money, and damage to local economies just adds to the "nah" effect on me.

casjoker likes this.
  9. rd400racer

This sounds like something out of a bad movie script...

In order to qualify for the Olympics they had to play matches all over the planet for 3 years. Only 12 countries make it to the show. These teams are decided by wins and then goals scored. In late 2019 it came down to a tournament in Korea...they were so close to making the 12th team that it came down to goals scored, and they came up one goal short. Three years of competition and they didn't make the Olympics because of one goal.

On the flipside, she has a passport that looks like the Yellow Pages and it was all on our dime. That's worth the price of admission in my book. I hung out with them last weekend in Pa and she said the weirdest thing will be getting used to a normal life. She did get a full ride from U of L so she has a Master's degree...she'll be fine.

Zoomie likes this.
  10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Once upon a time. But, because people suck, not anymore.

cav115 and Quicktoy like this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

RD, she raised in the PA? I sometimes forget how huge the Fockey is there.

12. rd400racer

Boston actually. Training facility was near Lancaster. My son went with her because, love. He has the ring, wedding bells soon.

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Cant be bothered for the last 20+ yrs. Now its all about the IOC and NBC telling us over and over again how awesome they are and making it more about the TV broadcast than the sports. And the endless human interest stories and endless gymnastics coverage. Yeah um no.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Neither am I, TBH, who is? But if all these young people from all over the world can navigate and shrug it off and prevail to pursue their dreams that they have worked so long and so hard for, it is a thrill to watch them. That's what I think about.

scottn, Zoomie and rd400racer like this.
  15. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Watching US and Jamaican men and women battle for fastest humans on the planet never gets old. Maybe some swimming, volleyball, and gymnastics but otherwise the NBC coverage is too awful to watch for funsies.

16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Well, they got their TV show, just not "filmed in front of a live studio audience".

17. joec

joec brace yourself

Yeah but if they added lax to it it'd be fine right?

Watch it with the sailing! It's been an Olympic event for like 100 years mostly dominated by the brits

rd400racer likes this.
  18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Because motorsports don't have that?....

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

At it's scale? Only F1. Also "nah" from me. MotoGP only barely approaches the sheer mass effect the IOC has.

20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

First time in my life I could care less about the olympics :/