1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay, WTF!? Bat in the house!

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Get a large frame and string it ~60lbs tension. Be sure to use the string damper so you don't injure your elbow, most of the bats will be heavier than a tennis ball.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

Back in my younger days, I lived in a military frat house (Pershing Rifles) and it came time for our annual "cleaning party"...which was the only time that house was ever cleaned each year.

The living room had a ceilng light with a dinner plate sized glass shade, that was filled with about a pound of dead bugs, reaching almost all the way to the perimeter of the glass. Since we had no ladder and I was one of the lightest "actives", I got on the shoulders of another frat brother and unscrewed the center decorative piece holding the shade, and slowly lowered the glass down to chest level. There, in the middle of the dead bugs, was a bat, looking back at me like "WTF?"

Somehow my frat brother was able to crouch down, I hopped off, and put the shade on the living room sofa. The bat didn't move. I carefully reached in, grabbed each front claw at the same time, and picked him up, spreading his wings so that they were fully extended. Needless to say, the bat was pissed. I walked to the porch outside and let him go in broad daylight.

Later that year, one my frat brothers was asleep in his room on the third floor, and kept waking to the sounds of soft scratching coming from somewhere behind his head. After much searching, he found a bat hanging from the back side of the headboard, next to the wall. Needless to say, yelling ensued, a combat knives was found, the entire frat house woke up and proceeded to chase the bat around the house until it was stabbed to death inside a dresser drawer (not quite sure how he got in there, but if you had about 20 maniacs chasing you inside a house, many armed with knives, you'd probably be able to do that too). After that, the word got out and the bats left us alone.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

LMAO...Batninja...:crackup:

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Don't encourage him.

As soon as this episode of the Flintstones is over I'm gonna go outside and investigate the blanket.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

FWIW, they can get in a hole the size of a nickle. And if they are in your attic the only way you would hear them is if you are SUPER quiet you might here the squeaking chittering noise they make, and only if you have REALLY good ears. You wont hear them flying or landing..

there could be millions up there

6. ::yawn:: that blanket was nice. Wonder if Scotty can put it out for me every night.

7. Brian_45

Brian_45 Well-Known Member

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

LMFAO

It's going to be a long off season

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This thread is awesome. Absolute classic. :crackup:

No kidding. I don't see what good could possibly come out of a rat-bird. I don't like rats, I don't like birds, I certainly don't like them combined.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This is where the bats get into my attic (more of a crawl space, really).

[​IMG]

This is a pic I took this past summer.

[​IMG]

Three of them like to hang under that board when they're chillin'.
    I call them Moe, Larry and Curly. I can't tell Larry from Curly, but Moe gets pissed and shows his fangs and chitters when I get close. My deck wraps around the corner of the house here so I can get face to face with them. Tried patting one once but he(she?) was not amused.

I wanted to get a picture of them but they're inside today because it's only 45 degrees, so I took a picture of my dog instead. She has bat ears.

[​IMG]

11. In Your Corner

Oops. I missed the note left around the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Have you recently had a Halloween party? Have you let anyone into the house that was dressed like this?

[​IMG]

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

15. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

If you have a bat in the house while anyone is sleeping, the CDC will tell you they need to get rabies shots because there's no way to be sure they did not get bitten. Apparently their teeth are so small and sharp that it's some times difficult to feel / find the bite. If you call the CDC and say "there was a bat in my house while I was sleeping what do I do?" They will require you to go to the ER to get rabies shots, and follow up with the Hospital to make sure you went. Ask me how I know...

It's a super conservative policy, however once you start showing rabies symptoms, it's too late, and you're a goner...

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Okay, the note thing is officially hilarious. Cool lookin dog, too.

The bat was still in the blanket this A.M., sleeping like a friggin baby. :mad:

He took off after Fed Ex came to the door and my lab went nuts barking. Pest dude has been called. No bat sightings post departure.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Y'all got some crazy-ass wildlife stories over there in Cheezland. :eek:

18. In Your Corner

What does the CDC say when you tell them you think a bat boinked your Brogan?

19. In Your Corner

Okay, I checked with the CDC.

Rabies virus is transmitted through saliva and brain/nervous system tissue. Only these specific bodily excretions and tissues transmit rabies virus.

So having your shoe raped by BatNinja won't get you in trouble, but beating him with a shovel might.

20. In Your Corner

Darren, I have the solution to your problem. Turn up the volume as loud as you want. When the young bat comes out to complain, throw a blanket over her and throw her out on the porch. She'll sleep like a baby.
    Trust me on this one.

Scotty, the bat seems to be harmless, but my research disclosed that they carry a type of mite.
    Enlarged, they look like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011