1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay, WTF!? Bat in the house!

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:wow::wow::wow:

Motherfucker was huge! Nasty ass thing was flyin around my kitchen/living room before I managed to knock it down with a blanket and then I threw the whole works outside. If that fucker is still in that blanket in the morning his ass is toast. Weird thing is, we had a bat in the house around two years ago. My wife has some decorative ceramic pot/vase type deals in a shaker style stand I built, and they were dusty so I was cleaning them. Found a bat sleeping in one 'em. I threw his ass outside and was content to just let him be on his way, but then the thing kinda rared up and hissed at me (totally serious) so I hit him with a shovel. Fuck that, I gave his ass a chance.

Tonight, I'm walking around checking the locks and whatnot before I plop in the recliner, and it buzzed me! I hit the lights and there it was. I tried holding the door open, but it wouldn't fly out, so like I said I managed to knock it down with a blanket and get rid of it that way.

What concerns me is why is this happening? I live in the city, not out in the boonies. My house is very old (1919) so I'm sure there are cracks and entry points all over the place, but the entire main floor has been completely down to the studs remodeled so it did not get in up here. The only thing I can think is that they are getting in through the basement somehow and eventually making their way upstairs. The other occurence could be when I let the dog out late at night. I often let him out the back door and stand there with the door held open, so I can see him and call him in when he's done with his bidness. Otherwise he ends up effin around and getting into all sorts of shit, and I'm tired. Maybe they are hanging around that soffit and are sort of 'sneaking in' over my head when the door is open? Is that even possible?

The basement is clean, there is no food down there, and everything is in rubbermaid tubs. It is an old basement, but again - it's clean. I see no signs of droppings or any other stuff like that. This is fucked up. I don't want to see another friggin bat anywhere near my crib. Outside of paying a pest guy to come poke around on Monday, what else can I do? Any thoughts on the cause of this, or any general bat knowledge?

Oh yeah - I know the Great Outdoors jokes are coming.... :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Uh, they like to be warm and out of the elements when they snooze?

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Trying to think of some batshit jokes right now. Gimme time.

4. Scotty87

Fuck that. It's only been dark for 3 hours, aint time to sleep yet. Besides, aren't bats nocturnal? And they're bats, not homeless people. These things are supposed to live in caves and shit. This is bullshit. I live in town for a few reasons. None of them are bat-positive. In fact, most are generaly country style critter-issue negative.

5. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

Do you have a fireplace?

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Why? Do you want to go over and enjoy the ambiance with him?

:D

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

FYI bats hibernate. Could be he was looking for a place to spend the winter as opposed to raising babies.

I'm pretty sure your walls are full of bat babies though.

Your attic

[​IMG]

8. scott65

Not really, but bats like to go in fireplaces.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  9. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I know, just trying to make the thread more fun.

Kill joy

:p

You get your motor sorted out?

10. scott65

injector took a dump, got the cylinder among other things :eek:

11. Scotty87

Nope.

Somebody better get the hell over here and help me torch the place. I aint livin here any more

Fuck you, Toe.

Help me!

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I did help. Took a pic of the attic above your bedroom.

13. Scotty87

Anyone got the number for that Rob Halford dressin-motherf*cker on the Discovery channel who deals with this kind of shit? I haven't been in my attic in years. Only access is from the outside.

14. scott65

Are your rabies shots up to date?

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Seen any Robins in the house?:D

I've had them inside, but I have a whole house fan in the ceiling and they probably got in that way. I have a few that live in the attic. I doubt they are flying in while you're standing in the doorway, but they may hang on the outside of the door near the top and come in when you open it. Keep some heavy gloves around and you can just pick them up and put them on something outside, like a tree. They can have trouble getting off the ground. If they won't light somewhere, a towel does a good job catching them. Don't use anything like a fishnet, they get tangled in it. They're pretty harmless if you avoid their teeth.
    Try not to kill them, their numbers are decreasing due to disease.

16. Scotty87

Serious question - if these asshole freeloading winged rodents were in my attic, wouldn't I hear 'em flying around an shit at night? A bird got in there once while I was in the middle of the remodel (11 years ago) and it was loud as shit.

17. Scotty87

That's what I meant to say, and what I hope happened, as opposed to some sort of infestation.

Yeah.... um, fuck that. Like I said in my OP, I already gave one amnesty, and he decided to feel strong and get cocky when he was in the front yard, free to go.

I've read your posts in the dungeon. These things are home invaders, and I plan to deal with them the same way you would, iffin they were people. :D

Sounds like a perfect reason to kill them? :confused:

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It was probably just random. I wouldn't worry about it.

[​IMG]

19. Scotty87

Steeltoe you are a complete doucherocket.

20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time to pick up that AR you were asking about. :D

On a serious note, check your weatherstripping on your doors and any soffit vents, roof vents, etc. Them bastids can get through some tiny spots. My 85 year old neighbor just had one in the house a few months ago, bit his wife. She had to endure the battery of rabies shots. Not cool at all. It ended up getting through a roof vent into the attic, then crawled through the attic drop ladder into his wife's closet.