1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2019 MotoAmerica silly season thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought he was looking towards 2020 so he could have a year off but I could see him not wanting to lose his edge.

jeremy dunn likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed - and it has hurt our grids some for sure but I hope that long term it's better for the sport which is why we're doing the Triple Crown and supporting pro wherever we can.

I do wish there was a way to set the rules to keep people who truly aren't ready from going and blowing all their money but the lure of being able to call yourself or you kid a pro racer is huge so people will always push before they're ready :(

backbone likes this.
  3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

sooo...

who’s getting the Yosh ride? have we gotten there yet?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one is mad, not remotely. But personally I think Andrew and many others would be better served club racing longer and building sponsor contacts and winning championships and building skills so that the family doesn't have to go broke doing what you are - I get why and it's great but long term it's not sustainable for you guys.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Have they even signed Toni? :D

6. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

Nope, I didn't. I thought that's what you put at an end of a comment so things don't get too serious. I see this is a subject you are passionate about. And that is great. So at the season opener at Rd Atlanta I'll expect to see that big MDM rig pull up to fill the Graves spot in the paddock. I'm sure you will do it right with a 2 bike team, make sure you pay your riders well. Show us the right way to do this whole pro-thing. LOL!

rcarson15 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. And I think it'll get better as we go further.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That guy's been racing Moto2 for like damn near ever. I figured Luthi was going to be a Moto2 careerist, but even he finally moved up and out after 8 straight Moto2 seasons.

2018 is Egg-getter's 9th season in the Moto2 class, he's been racing it since the class's inception.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I have invested both time and money into motorcycle racing at the club and MotoAmerica level for nearly a decade. There's very little ROI for me in the MA paddock. In fact, there's very little ROI for most people, especially the big rigs, which is why there'd be a vacancy where a Graves rig used to be (as you pointed out).

I'm not telling anyone where to spend their money. I'm offering a perspective from someone who supports racers and has helped racers in the past and will continue to do so on what I see as sustainable going forward.

JBowen33 and Pitdad42 like this.
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I thought Kawi paid pretty well for Superstock wins?? Have never met Andrew but would have thought he made out pretty well this year running the class he does.

Kris made out pretty well the last three races in the twins class for sure. We really wish that we would of had the oportunity to run WERA stuff this year and May still show up for the National stuff at the GNF.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

But if you were only club racing isn't the idea is find ways to go faster and progress in your racing? Otherwise maybe track days would be best?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was talking Bowen not Lee - and yes, just like most of the top 3-5 you can make money running MA races.

It was great to see Kris do what he did this year knowing the hassles/budget/bike issues. Kris is in a little different boat as he's been there before and had rides for JU and such. You guys know what it takes and made an informed decision.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yes, yes! The M/C population base has changed and people need to understand that. We see what has happened to HD and Yamaha etc. and the same thing in the M/C tire business, right? This industry is in a transition period and it's either going to grow or shrink and only time will tell, but it will not die.

r6boater likes this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

But in the mean time WSBK has changed their rules to try to control costs. Gone are the trick transmissions and special electronic packages. With MA changing their specs and WSBK changing their specs I think DORNA is trying to get them in line to encourage riders to cross over more easily whether it's right or wrong.

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

So...if you pay money to get the ride, and that negates the use of the word 'Pro', does that mean Karel Abraham is an amateur? How about probably 80% of the Moto2 grid?

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Wut?

17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I expect there's a few more on the MotoGP grid that would be considered "pay to ride" riders. And where does the "pay" line break? All out of the family pocket only count? What if you bring personal sponsors that foot your bill in the team, but you don't get any money. Is that "pro" enough? So many rules!

turbulence likes this.
  18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

By the definition that some of you guys are using, there are very few 'Pros' in any motorsport. Nascar? Plenty of people spend their own money to be there. NHRA?, IMSA? MX? For 99%, they've got skin in the game to keep playing. Perhaps when the sport becomes a product that is sold, whether it be TV coverage, or just spectators through the gate, technically it becomes a profession. Just like many professions, sometimes you spend more than you make.

turbulence likes this.
  19. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I had a very wise friend tell me "If you ever START paying, you'll never STOP paying...." He was taught that by his friend.....

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

That's not a profession if you do it year after year.