1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notre Dame de Paris is BURNING!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pyramids, Taj Mahal, a number of the older skyscrapers that changed the world, Eiffel Tower, the Roebling Suspension Bridge in Cincinnati precursor to the Brooklyn Bridge, tons of significant architectural and engineering marvels out there to inspire awe and wonder. I can't imagine picking one as the best. Granted I've always had an issue with determining there were/are only 7 wonders of the world too :D

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I thought la sagrada familia looked like a horrible hodgepodge of design intents that in now way melded together. To compare it to something as beautiful as Notre Dame is a travesty.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, too frilly for me.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Totally different styles and time frames, but I really want to see Falling Water one day. I spent 6 years as a child near Florida Southern and became a fan of FLW. I would also like to see some of the Greene and Greene stuff in CA.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

You need to go to Chicago and see some Prairie houses. Then, up to Wisconsin to see Johnson Wax and Taliesen

Some of the best FLW.

ducnut likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Toured the original home/studio in '98, but yeah I think the AIA does a tour of several. It's on my bucket list. Dean of the SOD in Raleigh designed his house in the Wright style back in the 50s. Wright cam to speak at the school and lambasted him for designing something so inappropriate for the site. He was both a talented architect and a class A prick.

7. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

FLW ego had to measured in parsecs

My favorite story - he designed the furnishings in the JW bldg, making the ladies desk chairs with 3 legs. The staff regularly fell out of them. Johnson mentioned this to FLW, who sniffed "well, they need to learn proper posture". Next meeting they had, Johnson removed all of the chairs from his office and had one of the 3 legged ones there for FLW to sit on n. FLW promptly fell out of the chair and had a new design in a few days

But, back to NDdP. I see where they already have a temporary roof design, that will allow space for the construction of the new roof. I'm looking forward to see how they do that, what with the flying buttresses and all

8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

It's the reason it's taking so long even with modern technology. There's been nearly a billion Euros donated to Notre Dame in less than a week, Sagrada Familia's budget is 20-25 million Euros a year, Notre Dame donations in a week would fund Sagrada for 50 years.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe it'd get finished then. Either way as cool as SF is there aren't a lot of movies about it so no money.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is cool! Guy in Loveland Ohio did something similar but used a lot of bricks made from cement for in milk cartons rather than real stone.