1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notre Dame de Paris is BURNING!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Should the Spanish finally stop work on Sagrada Familia?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No surprise. Always lots of hey look at me shit after major incidents.

4. Yes, apparently. They should just tear it down and build Soviet-style apartment blocks.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No more than 3 stories, 9/11 showed how dangerous skyscrapers can be.

6. :) It would take multi-megaton nuclear blasts to destroy the apartment buildings the Soviets built in Eastern Europe. Just as an example, a jetliner crash into the buildings on the east side of Bratislava would merely leave a black smudge on the side of the building. Those things will be the last human edifices standing when the planet is decimated by space aliens ;) A fitting tribute to our legacy.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True, look at Chernobyl and the surrounding cities. The amusement park is starting to fall down but the buildings just need new windows and doors :D

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

This may be the only thing Boulder does correctly. All building height, except those grandfathered in before the change, is limited to 35 feet.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That's cuz there's no oxygen 36' above grade... :moon:

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

For sure no. Its the most significant building on earth.

11. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

That's all private funding though

12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

That until now, I've never heard of!

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

OGs750 likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yes, although it has been in Germany for a while too as the Alsatians get passed back and forth between the two countries. It is quiet impressive and a really nice city to visit. They have some nice wine in the area as well.

15. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I don't think a modern rebuild would destroy the glamor or reverence of the building. Modern techniques are similar to medieval ones, we simply have machines to do the work. Instead of hand crafting all these stones over decades we can have one very talented artist make one then the rest are rendered on a CNC. Instead of taking 100 years to build a spire because stones are lifted 400ft by hand we can do it with a crane in a few years time. The skill is still there, somewhere in the world, it's just not as many per capita because we don't need as many to do the work.

R Acree likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Electroboy gets it.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hells to the no. I hope to see it in person someday, but it has been one of my favorite structures since I first learned of it in Design School.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I also have an architectural background. I've thought long and hard about a building with as much architectural significance. Of course, Burj Kahlifa comes to mind, but I think La Sagrada Familia stands alone. Can you think of anything that compares?

Be sure to go! It is awe inspiring. The first time I saw it, i nearly fell to my knees. It will blow you away :)

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Notre Dame or Sagrada Familia? And honestly I'd say neither of them actually hit that level. Lots of other important buildings for all sorts of reasons that would trump a couple of local churches no matter how big/fancy/old.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So? Good lord tax money goes for way worse things than a cool old building by the billions :crackup: