1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Vehicle Recommendation

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So one of the family members I work for has a BMW325i, I want to say 2002 year, has 80K miles. Annually they hump themselves from NYC to Maine, where they summer, then back again after summer is over. The vehicle is used in Maine, not so much in NYC. The current vehicle has performed fine, but is a bit concerning as its gotten older, plus they have to carry more stuff now compared to previously. Husband gets around in a wheelchair (he is not paralyzed, can walk, get into out of cars), so they have to tote his wheelchair, which obviously takes up cargo space, plus he has a caregiver who goes with, so three adults, plus two cats in bags (which currently ride on two laps) and whatever other necessary items they can cram in the remaining space. The rest of their stuff they have someone drive up separately (not a ridiculous amount, just doesn't fit in current vehicle).

When we were discussing it, I said "Well, I wouldn't be get caught dead in a mini-van, I don't care how useful they are." She laughed and wholeheartedly agreed. To give you a flavor of styling, other than the Beemer, they have a Volvo and a Saab, both older vintages as well. Also, not particularly interested in used vehicles, as risk adverse to bad juju, trustworthiness of prior owner(s), etc. Finally, although they are quite wealthy, they are quite frugal in some respects, so I don't think they are going to splash out on a ultra luxury exotic SUV unless a compelling value added argument can be made.

Whatcha got?

Thanks!

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I do believe the only Beeb approved answers are the following:

-1 ton dually diesel
    -Something black with a ton of buttons
    -Audi A3

Did I miss anything?

JJJerry and StaccatoFan like this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They already know the answer. Volvo XC60...however those are currently being built with the finest chinesium parts so perhaps that's not the answer.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, AMG E63 Wagon is out. :)

How frugal? Volvo makes a nice wagon.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

mini van

StaccatoFan, BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Subaru Forester. Or any of the Euro versions of the same lifted wagon / lowered SUV type thing.

skidooboy likes this.
  9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Forrester Gump would be good. Even has a CVT so the old folks don't have to bother with shifting.

skidooboy likes this.
  10. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Bigbird will be along shortly to address this

BigBird and shakazulu12 like this.
  11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Agreed. X5 fits the bill and since they're familiar with BMW it should be an easy discussion.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Audi Q5 or VW Atlas would work well unless they really want to pay the extra for the X5.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Q5 is smaller than it looks.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How can you guys hate these people this much? You don't even know them :D

cha0s#242 and I'm with Stupid like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Vhy does the BMW come wit 4 vay flashers?
    Zo you can varn people vhen you are broke down on the side of das road!!!
    Ha ha ha, try das schnitzel and do not tip your waitress, ve are german and do not understand tipping!

The 4 way flasher part is an actual joke I was told in germany.

gixxerboy55 and StaccatoFan like this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Nope. List looks good.

18. X5 = maintenance nightmare.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Even ze 4 way flashers do not vork! It is like a frenchman on Fridays. Does not vork! Ha ha ha!

[​IMG]

StaccatoFan and I'm with Stupid like this.
  20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Volvo wagon was my thought, as well. They also have a V60 that is a little smaller and about $10K less. Get a trailer hitch wheelchair carrier.