1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New race bike for 2009 CB350

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by OHIOCAFERACER, Jan 6, 2009.

1. OHIOCAFERACER

OHIOCAFERACER Pavement Gods Translator!

Thought i'd post a few pics of a new bike i'm building to run a few AHRMA events in 2009. Will be running in the 350 sportsman class.

The bike started life as a rough 1969 Honda CB350K1...and was in pretty bad shape. Currently I am using another motor from a K2, that I built a few years ago. The oringinal motor will be rebuilt into another race motor once the bike is done. Bike was completely torn down and is being completely rebuilt. This bike will be painted in the red paint scheme like my CR350 Cafe Racer. So...we will have 2 identical looking machines....one will be a dedicated race bike.....the other a street legal Cafe Racer/Pit Bike.:D

Some of the added details to the bike are:
    *Rewelded and braced frame(swingarm is next)
    *Bronze swingarm bushings
    *CB550/4 front forks
    *SL350 triple clamps(shaved and cleaned up)
    *Taper steering stem bearings
    *OCR Alloy light weight racing tank
    *OCR Alloy rear inner fender/catch tank(13oz)
    *OCR Alloy front fender
    *Vented/Lightened wheel hubs
    *Flanged Akront style rims
    *Dunlop race tires
    *Billet clipons
    *Billet 1/4 turn throttle
    *Mikuni 32mm carbs
    *OCR custom alloy intakes
    *Jemco 2 into 1 exhasut system
    *CBR929 rearsets
    *......more to be added to the list as the bike is finished.......check back!!!

....enjoy the pics!
    The beginning...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. OHIOCAFERACER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and the finished CR350 Cafe Racer/Pit Bike(race bike will look identical)
    [​IMG]

I will post more pics as the bike is finished.....Take care!

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Nice.....an alloy tank is on my dream sheet.

Interesting bracing technique.....I only saw the upper at first, but then noticed that piece tying the swingarm to the backbone.

See you at the track.....I'll be running Sportsman 350 a couple races as well.

4. OHIOCAFERACER

Hey....thanks Charlie.

Yeah......I noticed while racing a CB175 in 200gp.....these stamped frames seem to flex alot in the back(alot of tire marks between shock mounts)....so trying to reduce it a bit. Still working on getting the swingarm braced....should have that fabbed and welded up here soon.

By the way.....anyone have some good pics of braced swingarms? I've got a pretty good idea of how i'm gonna brace mine....just curious???

Hope to see you at the track as well.:)

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Beautiful work man. Wish I could do that type of work........ Keep us updated!

6. OHIOCAFERACER

Thanks....will do!!

7. joec

joec brace yourself

thats a frightening looking front brake for a motor with big carbs. you got balls!

8. OHIOCAFERACER

LOL!!!!!:D

Yeah......tell me about it. Actually have a larger CL450 drum i'm gonna rebuild and get laced up here when I get a chance. Might try and find a nice 4ls setup in the future. Just want to get it up and running and work any bugs out of it....then add some extras later(like one of Todd and Buff's magneto setups:)).

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey man, come race with WERA if you get the opportunity.....I'll run ya V1:D

The THR PVL mag set-up is sweet....some of the best money I've spent.

Brakes....Pfffft....they just slow ya down:p

10. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

iv'e looked at all those pictures several times and I still don't see any brakes. what is it that i'm looking for? :confused::D

11. Corvus

Corvus Active Member

Really impressive work :up:

I especially love the holey heel guards, which look to come directly off a 900RR or something :D

12. OHIOCAFERACER

Thats cause i'm not sitting on it......with my Fred Flintstone bare feet:crackup:

13. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

That is some really nice work.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

youll love the 4ls setup. it rocks. especially in the wet! nice and linear. the pvl is nice.

now that mines totally worked out....i love it.

get it, and forget it.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Greg,
    My swingarm is braced per the AHRMA rulebook. It is also lengthened 2", to transfer a little more weight to the front end. My frame also has the plates that are the outside swingarm pivot mounting points welded where they cross the frame tubes that go to the top shock mounts. The work was done by Framecrafters. It made a noticable difference to me.

Ken

16. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Greg-nice work! some questions:
    1. What's the story on the longer aluminum intake manifold? [ I mean, why do you
    think the extra intake length is good?]
    2. Would the 2-into-1 exhaust setup clear a stock centerstand?
    3. What make shocks are those?
    4. How can I get my 40-yr-old engine as clean as THAT?

17. OHIOCAFERACER

JoeC....thanks for the info....plan on getting both as time allows...looking forward to them.

Ken.....yeah...I had thought about welding the swingarm plates to the frame also....but was really hesitant on doing that. Thats when I decided to brace those plates the way I did....into the backbone...hopefully it works...we'll see.:)

TF Charly...thanks for the up's on the work...and let me see if I can answer some of your questions.:D
    1. Those alloy intakes were made by a close friend who did the head work for this motor. He's an ole retired racer who does alot of work on the side for friends....and he had me bring the bike down to his shop...took some measurements of the exhaust....at the carbs...then worked the heads(blueprinted the carbs and exhaust to the heads) and did some calculations and thats what he said would work....we'll see. I may try and get it down on his dyno once its up and running to see if the really do work.

2. This Jemco 2 into 1 wont clear the center stand....hits the center stand bracket at the collector....I tried putting it on the bike when the center stand was there......wouldnt work.

3. Shocks are just Works Shocks....standard Steel Trackers with dual rate springs. I used them on my CB175 and they worked great. Bike felt really firm....no wollowing in the corners...seemed to compress nice under load and stay there. Nothing worse than a shock that wants to compress and rebound a few times in a corner:eek:

4. HA....yeah the engine is pretty clean. Thanks for the compliment. This motor was stripped and the cases split....then everything off to the glass beader for a shot. Only bad thing...that glass bead gets in everything....took alot to get it all out of the oil passages and stuff.

Hope that answered it for ya....LOL!

Thanks again guys....hopefully have it at the track soon....and definately more pics as it gets finished.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  18. ROSKO

ROSKO the dirty Knacker

Looking good, bigger grids are on the way! Not sure about ahrma but wera and the other groups are requiring a bellypan, might be a problem with the pipe. Just a heads up.

19. OHIOCAFERACER

Yeah....that is on the to-do list.
    Gonna fab and roll one out of aluminum......so it goes around the pipes, but still tucks up under the bike nice.

Hell......if I can get to it......plan is to replace the fiberglass seat with an exact copy out of aluminum. Plan was to have all the body work done in aluminum........at least that was the plan.....LOL.

20. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

re: CL450 drum: My 2008 experience was that the combination of a bike with killer top end and chickenshit rider and an unvented drum= brake failure. 2/3 of the way thru the season I laced up a vented CL450 drum, and used less of it--no further problems:up: