1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New car advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yep you're right, I think I was looking at a review from 2012 when I said that. They do look good in pics, haven't seen one in person yet. Pricing is decent too, but again I think we are sticking to wagonish vehicles. I think they are supposed to bring a wagon version over eventually though.

2. Spooner

Drove the XC60 and XC70 today and we really like both of them but like the 70 a little more. I think we are going to just see what we can find the better deal on and go with that.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did you try the 90? A lot bigger and the interior is "eh" but I really liked it. Volvo slow but pretty okay otherwise.

4. Spooner

No, it just seemed too old school. Plus I'm sure once the new ones come out the values will drop like a rock.

5. Spooner

Friends of ours were in town visiting us and they just picked up a CX-5 and it was actually pretty nice. I drove it but just through town so we are going to go test drive one so we can get on the highway and all that. Probably will put the Mini up for sale in a few weeks and make up our mind on what direction we will go.

BTW, found out its a boy :rock:

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Congrats...My wife is preggo right now also...we had to upsize the car into a suv as well.

7. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

weird...seems like only yesterday, you were working in that bicycle shop, and going to school...Now look at ya...:p

Congrats to you and the wife, hope he is a healthy boy..:beer:

8. Spooner

Tell me about it!

Thanks Hammer! :beer:

9. Spooner

So whats the deal with a 2011-2012ish 328 x-drive wagon? Seems like reliability is pretty good just from what I'm seeing. I'm wondering what maintenance is like on these things? Are brakes a million dollars every 10k or any $500 transmission services I should look out for? I love the look of them and I drove a 2012 328 for a day when her Mini was getting serviced and it was like driving a bank vault. Can't find a wagon locally but the local carmax has a sedan so maybe we will take it for a spin and see what the little lady thinks.

Oh, and we would buy CPO so no worries about not being under warranty.

10. Spooner

Well, I think we are pretty damn close to doing the deal. We drove an A4 kinda on a whim at a honda dealer and loved it. It has a shocking amount of trunk space and the interior room is WAY more than the old A4's which I had been in quite a bit. So we went to the Audi dealer to see what they had for CPO and found a cherry '10 with 33k with quattro and premium plus package in a color we love and at a price that is honestly very good. We also looked at the volvo's again and wrote off the XC stuff because we just don't want to drive a boat. So we checked out the S60 again and it really is pretty nice but they really want to deal. They have a few CPO's and one thats a good deal but has a bit more miles than we want and the color is a bit meh. Well we had them toss us a number on trade in for the Mini just to see what would happen and they bumped it up a grand from the first time we were in there. As we were leaving they asked if we wanted to take it for the night so we thought why not since we were planning on going back to Audi tomorrow to take it to the baby crap store to fit up all the gear we will need. Gonna stop there first with the S60 and go back later to register with the A4. The trunk is better on the A4 and we both much prefer the way it drives. I think if they play ball on the trade then its a done deal. I think we will keep looking for a better S60 though if we go that way. Wish me luck in talking the wifey into the Audi :D

Back to doing tons of research on the A4 to make sure they don't suck.

11. Spooner

Finally found our car. Ended up with the A4 from the above post. We had looked at so much stuff that it was pretty obvious to both of us when we first looked at one that it was what we were looking for. Then after driving it, it was a done deal. Got a great deal on it too and didn't have to mess with selling the Mini so that was nice. Pick it up later this week as they are touching up a couple things for us so we are driving a service loaner.

I did try to get her to go for an Avant but we looked at one at the dealer and its marginally bigger behind the rear seats because the glass is sloped so much. Plus we do have my work car which is a wagon if we do needs to haul something big.

Damn I'm glad this is over haha! Now we can focus on all the other crap we have to buy :rolleyes:

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congrats on the car and CONGRATS on the lil' Boy!

13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

You can fit a rearward facing seat in an A4? Seems like it would be pretty close to me.

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

2.0T? they are easy to make fast!

Congrats!

15. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

NICE! I got a 2013 a month ago. S-line package and a 6-spd manual. really like it so far. much nicer to drive than the IS350 I had before.

16. Spooner

Yep 2.0. We were really surprised how much room there was in the back seat tbh. And it's a good 3 body trunk :D

17. Spooner

We actually nearly ended up with a '13. They had a few service loaners that were for sale and a couple that were coming up for sale in a couple weeks that they were willing to sell us. We liked one that was the deep blue with black interior. Unfortunately someone smoked a carton of cigarettes in the thing and I really don't think they could have gotten the smell out. It was a premium plus like the one we got but it also had the B+O stereo which was killer but we decided we liked the color we got better (quarts grey) plus we saved about 9 grand and we decided with junior on the way it was better to save the cash for the future. I could see us going to a Q5 in 3 or 4 years.

The S-Line is awesome but TBH we were getting pretty tired of shopping for a car and finding one that we really liked in the color and options we liked and being local that sealed the deal for us. I always end up flying to chicago or whatever to pick up a car, its nice driving to the dealer 20 minutes away :beer:

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I got one of 2 left in the province with S-line and manual trans. Mine is Monsoon grey.

The trunk is a little weird. It looks huge, BUT it is too narrow to carry golfclubs. They have to go in diagonal which I thought was very odd.

I'm thinking of doing the Stasis ECU upgrade. It's more expensive than the APR, but they have a warranty.

I've been looking for a new vehicle for over a year, drove the A4 and really liked it.

19. Spooner

I never thought about the golf clubs. With the wife being preggers I haven't even thought of golf. Our bags are pretty minimalistic so I will toss one in tonight and see how it fits.

I doubt I will mess with tunes and all that since mine is CPO and i want to keep the warranty but man I would love to toss some 19's on it. Sucks (but good too) that they put new tires all around before they sold it so it's hard to justify rims and tires when you really don't need them.

20. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Mine had to go in diagonally. Woods won't fit (that's what she said)