1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New car advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

So the wife is pregnant and her Mini isn't going to cut it once the little one is here. We've started shopping for a car and plan to buy in the next month or two. We are struggling a bit with what to buy. We were pretty set on a VW Sportwagen tdi because of the room and fuel mileage, plus I've always liked them. Then we drove a Volvo S60 and really like that too-its really quiet, comfortable, fast, etc. Used prices are really good too on year old low mileage units.

Basically we want something $27,000ish and under and a year or two old but low mileage. Needs to get at least 30 mpg hwy as she drives about 20k miles a year. We do a bit of cycling so something roof-rack friendly is a plus too. We just don't really know how much room we will need once we have a kid-I mean we have a Mini now so we can get by with a smaller car but we keep thinking about the what if's of traveling in the future by car and having enough room for all our crap.

Any suggestions?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

buy a crew cab dually...honestly, have you seen the amount of baby gear they haul around these days?

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So I have a 3 month old and our primary car is a '09 Subaru Outback. It was just fine prekid. Now the biggest complaint is due to the car seat. Because it is facing backwards it takes up quite a bit of room in length. So out front seats aren't where we really want them even though we put the car seat in the center.

Otherwise it is a good size. A couple in our birthin' class picked up the car you are looking at. No idea if it works for them. So my recommendation is buy the car seat before you get the car. Then being it with you. Put it in and then sit in the front seat and see if you like it

We are looking at a little bit larger vehicle now but not sure what yet. Don't want too big but something larger.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Either of the 2 cars you mentioned would be a good choice. I'm partial to the Volvo:up:
    There are so many choices these days, you might have to test drive a few and let her make the decision...good luck.
    I like Sunshine's idea of taking the carseat with you.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Moved up to the Mazda CX9 when we had ours a year and a half ago. Love it.

6. Spooner

We love the Volvo but the trunk really isn't that big which sucks. They are bringing the V60 (wagon version) over at the beginning of the year which would be perfect but I don't really buy new, plus we don't even know what pricing will be yet with them.

I hear you about the car seat thing-what I've been doing is getting on the car forums and asking about the car seats to see what fits. We are planning on getting the Britax Chaperone.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

:stupid: Wife has an Explorer with 3rd row seating that stays folded down most of the time. Works great until you take 3 people to the beach for a week. I had that thing slam full with crap. She's pregnant again and it's only going to get tighter with another car seat. Even a wagon, I'm glad we didn't buy a car.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We have a Britax. Yes, take it with you.

9. Spooner

Damn, guess I better go pick up the baby seat then!

We are lucky in that I'm only 5'9" and she is 5'4" so we don't require a ton of leg room.

10. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

2013 Jetta Sportwagen still has good legroom with a child seat in the back. You can get a new one for not much more than a 1-2 year old one. I paid less for the 13 than some people were asking for their 12. I didn't get sunroof/nav, but I did get DSG/tint/mud flaps/upgraded mats for 24,900 before TTL. If the wife knew how to drive a standard I would have got a standard instead. Only 10K miles so far, but we have been happy with the purchase. I would not drive one for very far/long though without an aftermarket skid plate ($300).

11. Spooner

I hear you on the JSW pricing. We want the one with the pano sunroof, dsg, and nav (only for the keyless entry crap, she loves that feature on her mini). I have found a few for about $4k less than new with nearly no miles and one that is certified too so that might be the one to get.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We have a CX9 grand whatever AWD and it's great enough but the only way you'll see even 20 mpg is if you tow it where you're going. It's a gas sucking highway milfwagon.

Still, I'd buy another.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm with the troll, 'cept we're in an Audi allroad. Same situation, not enough room in the old Saturn with two adults, a baby, a dog, cooler, stroller, car seat, pack 'n' play, etc and so forth. 20mpg is it. Oddly, no matter if I'm driving it with my overweight right foot or Sarah with her dainty, delicate feet.

14. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Good shot Spooner!! :D

15. Spooner

Haha thanks Ben.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There's quite a few good new deals out there right now on brand new. Why not find something with insanely low APR, bank the $27K and use their money? 2013 CX9 is 0% for 60 months, VW is offering 1% on the Tiguan for 66 months and 2% on the gasoline jetta wagon for 66 months. Kia and Hyundai offer great cars with great deals.

What I am saying, use someone else's cash and save your's and buy new. Lots of great cars out there for little money.

17. The car seat facing backwards is the rub, as you don't realize how much more room they take up then.

And you might as well buy an extra base for your car seat now. You'll need it. Good luck!

18. noupf

noupf Well-Known Member

From a buddy of mine......stay far away from VW. Evertime it needed service outside the warrranty....bend over and ask for lube, bc its gonna hurt. Costs for repairs through the roof.

19. Spooner

Yeah they have 1.9 for 66 with the tdi's too-if they come out with 0% that would be great but it's unlikely. We can get close to the 1.9 used so that's not helping. On the Volvo we would be saving about $10k so as long as we get a good rate we will go used. The price gap on the JSW is not as big though so we are keeping that as an option. The local dealers don't seem to want to deal much though on the new ones.

20. Spooner

I had an 06 GTI and it was fine, and really we don't seem to ever have problems with our cars (knock on wood). We don't drive the shit out of them and keep them clean and serviced up which seems to help a lot. Plus this will probably be a 3-4 year vehicle for us so we shouldn't go far out of warranty anyways.