1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix. What to watch?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Mar 30, 2017.

1. crankspleenless

crankspleenless Muh spleeeeen

Of course, if you want a movie instead of a series... Mr Nobody

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Historical fiction about the days of Prohibition and organized crime in Atlantic City. Has a pretty good cast, and a decent story. Its not Sopranos, but it has some of the same themes, but in a different time period. I liked it alright, although I never saw the final season.

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Travelers didn't suck

4. crankspleenless

crankspleenless Muh spleeeeen

Ex Machina.. can't remember if I actually watched that one on Netflix though.

5. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Yes, Black Mirror definitely a must watch. It uses potential near-future uses of different aspects of technology or social norms, or how they can progress to something it wasn't intended to. Government, social media, eldercare, marriage, body cameras, etc. Just about every episode is strong. It is an anthology and can be viewed in any order. They get better as the episodes progress (although it does start off well). "San Junipero"... such a good episode...

Californication
    Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    OA (although I didn't like it as much as such, still good though)
    American Horror Story
    Archer
    Shameless
    Bates Motel (the little of it I've seen looked good)

6. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Been there but my Dad was a wireman. Hand me down toughskins weren't all that bad because a new pair were stiff as a board.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

+1 on Breaking Bad... best TV ever made. -1 on Better Call Saul: utterly aimless & slow other than the two episodes about Mike
    +1 on House of Cards

My own suggestions:
    Drama
    The Blacklist (ongoing series)
    The Americans (ongoing)
    Oz (horrifyingly realistic prison show about a lawyer who kills a kid DUI)

Dramedy
    Castle / The Mentalist ... Essentially the same show, different actors
    Covert Affairs / Burn Notice ... same show, different actors
    Lie To Me (SOOOOOOO pissed this one got cancelledf!!!)
    Limitless. Watch the movie first, then the series

Comedy
    Coupling (BBC) season 1 only. When you watch season 1, you'll think that season 2 will have to be just as hilarious. It's not. And that's the reason there was no season 3.
    The Ranch (Hidden gem here... Sam Elliot, Debra Winger, Ashton Kutcher)
    Modern Family (mindless time killer)

8. Me and the wife watched that, to be honest...it was a let down. The show builds and builds throughout the entire season, and you are expecting some huge grand interstellar ending or some shit...that that is all you get. I mean, it was cool and all, but the ending left a lot to be desired, and left a lot on the table. When it was over, the first thing I said was "that is it, really?".

The only way it (that ending) makes sense is if there is going to be a season 2, and the story isn't actually over yet.

9. If you have Amazon Prime, that show "Hand of God" is pretty good.

As far as Netflix, it sucks ass. It is full of stuff that is "pretty good", or might have been an ok movie 10-15 years ago. If you are looking for some great blockbuster movies...they aren't there. I go to Netflix all the time looking for movies, but end up going back to VuDu.

The only show on Netflix that I like is "Rules of Engagement". That show is funny. I like the Jeff dude.

10. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

Can't believe I've only seen House of Cards referenced a few times. That is a great show.

Do you have Amazon? Watch Mad Dogs. Sucks it's only going to be one season.

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Stranger Things

Can't believe it wasn't mentioned yet.

12. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

The new Chepelle stuff was funny

13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

It's not a series, but I recently watched a documentary called "Hitler's Children." I was very good. It follows the current relatives of the former SS officers and how they deal with their family's past. I also watched the documentary "Lemmy." That was a good one too.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Series? Can't believe I'll be the first to mention it....Narcos.....pretty damn good series about the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar. When it comes to drug cartels, most people think only the Sinaloa Cartel achieved billion dollar status and that claim has arrived in only the last 10-15 yrs. It's estimated that Pablo had well over $20B during his short reign and that was nearly 25-30 yrs ago!!!....nuts!

IIRC, the actual agents from the case were used as advisers so it's said to be pretty damn accurate, although Pablos son supposedly tried suing Netflix for inaccuracies to the tune of a billion $$$ or something. The shit that (Colombia and even OUR) government got away with back then is mind-blowing when you consider how crazy stringent things have gotten in the last 10-20 yrs.

15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Oh, shit yea. Narcos was fantastic, especially the guy who played Pablo, Wagner Moura.

XFBO likes this.
  16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Plata O plomo!

Rebel635 likes this.
  17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Do you have Hulu?

If so, you should watch Sherpa tonight. I know you like outdoor stuff and it a great documentary.

My wife and I really liked both of the OJ shows. I think one is on Netfix and one is on Hulu.

I'll second the recommendation for Travelers. It's a fun show. Add Kindness Diaries to the list too.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Being a lawyer, you will most certainly get a kick out of Better Call Saul.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The Night of

Can't remember if it was a Netflix original series.

20. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Some good suggestions. I'll second:
    - Breaking Bad (best series ever)
    - Better Call Saul (if you like BB)
    - House of Cards
    - The Walking Dead
    - Narcos
    - People vs OJ Simpson was pretty good
    - Honestly if you get into Top Gear it's pretty entertaining (maybe on Prime)
    - The Wire (on Prime)
    -