1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerve Gas??? A WMD???

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lever, May 17, 2004.

1. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

If so...we just found some WMDs when they used sarrin against our troops

2. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Can't possibly have happened. After all, all the pundits have told us how there were no WMDs left in Iraq and that Bush lied about it.

Looks like yet another Democratic talking point goes up in flames.

3. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

BAGHDAD, Iraq (May 17) -- A roadside bomb containing sarin nerve agent exploded near a U.S. military convoy, the U.S. military said Monday. Two people were treated for ''minor exposure,'' but no serious injuries were reported.

''The Iraqi Survey Group confirmed today that a 155-millimeter artillery round containing sarin nerve agent had been found,'' said Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the chief military spokesman in Iraq. ''The round had been rigged as an IED (improvised explosive device) which was discovered by a U.S. force convoy.

''A detonation occurred before the IED could be rendered inoperable. This produced a very small dispersal of agent,'' he said.

The incident occurred ''a couple of days ago,'' he said.

The Iraqi Survey Group is a U.S. organization whose task was to search for weapons of mass destruction after the ouster of Saddam Hussein in last year's invasion.

The round was an old 'binary-type' shell in which two chemicals held in separate sections are mixed after firing to produce sarin, Kimmitt said.

Talk About It

· Chat | Post Messages

He said he believed that insurgents who rigged the artillery shell as a bomb didn't know it contained the nerve agent, and that the dispersal of the nerve agent from such a rigged device was very limited.

''The former regime had declared all such rounds destroyed before the 1991 Gulf War,'' Kimmitt said. ''Two explosive ordinance team members were treated for minor exposure to nerve agent as a result of the partial detonation of the round.''

In 1995, Japan's Aum Shinrikyo cult unleashed sarin gas in Tokyo's subways, killing 12 people and sickening thousands. In February of this year, Japanese courts convicted the cult's former leader, Shoko Asahara, and sentence him to be executed.

More on This Story

· Facts About Sarin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    · AOL Search: Weapons of Mass Destruction

Developed in the mid-1930s by Nazi scientists, a single drop of sarin can cause quick, agonizing choking death. There are no known instances of the Nazis actually using the gas.

Nerve gases work by inhibiting key enzymes in the nervous system, blocking their transmission. Small exposures can be treated with antidotes, if administered quickly.

Antidotes to nerve gases similar to sarin are so effective that top poison gas researchers predict they eventually will cease to be a war threat.

4. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I can see kerry sittin there shakin his head. "i got nothin, i got nothin...":D

5. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

So your glad our boys got bombed with Sarin???

I hope not. As far as political fallout, that shell was brought in during the last year, doesn't count...

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Wha....???

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, we all know an entire year is not enough time to sneak a little gas into a country with virtually open borders. All the terrorists that have flowed in were probably just carrying sunscreen. :D

8. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Jay...this was expected...it's what the left (assuming he's left but i don't want to label and pigeon hole everybody, so i could be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ) does when they're backed into a corner...

Apparently, the proof will be in the pudding for anti finders of WMDs for our being in iraq.(good label?) ..when a nuke blows up and iraq turns into a glass desert...

And then this putz tries his best to spin the whole thing around and say i'm happy our troops got bombed...that has to be the lamest attempt at a comeback i have ever seen:rolleyes: At least papa is creative...;)

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think he's trying to say if you falsely accuse someone of stealing candy on Monday, and he gets caught stealing candy on Friday, it does not change the fact that you were lying on Monday. Or something like that.:D

10. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Papa...your not going to debate the fact that sarrin - a weapon of mass destruction - was attempted to be used against united states troops now are you?

And don't you think the terrorists know it is to their advantage for us not to find any WMD....what could be better than making the US look like a fool on the world stage?

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  11. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

<translator>

he was trying to dance around the real issue that rock solid evidence - regardless of where it came from - turned up within iraqs borders

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you so bitter about the multiple spankings you can't even read anymore? I am saying there is still no proof Iraq had WMDs at the time the war was started. If foreign terrorists can flow into Iraq to fight American troops, what's keeping them from bringing nerve gas with them?

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think they are interested in making the US look like a fool. First of all, the administration is doing a superb job on its own. Secondly, I think they are more interested in killing Americans.

13. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

No proof they were there, but proof that there are no reservations regarding thier use.

They have been used previous to the war starting...so technically they were there prior to its beginning. Perhaps the open borders saw the removal of all weapons containing chemical and biological agents prior to the war, just as they have seen the influx since its start?? :Poke:

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

700+ American lives to find... one shell. Dude, you WIN again. :bow:

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Holy shit.... read the damn article on AOL. The stuff appears to be the same type of shell that was tagged for destruction and supposedly had been destroyed prior to the war. Your theory is rediculous considering they don't even think the people that rigged it knew it was nerve agent. Jesus Papa I know you aren't that damn naive and certainly aren't an ignorant person. :Poke:

Now do I think this rates as the hording of WMD nope... but I still feel they had them and they are hidden but this sure as shit isn't proof enough for me.

16. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Your absolutely right...because if they made the US look like a fool and broke up the coalition then the UN would probably through in less of a presence there narrowing their worldwide network of terrorists to focusing on just the US...yeah...no strategy involved there :rolleyes:

And as for your open borders theory...don't you think those borders were just as open when the US went in there and those same people who supposedly brought in your sarrin shell could have just as easily taken it over the border to syria? It's a little narrow minded to expect anything to be found right off the bat don't you think considering the size of the country...

Your simply trying to state that since the first soliders in iraq didn't find WMDs in the first five minutes of the war, that our pretentions for going in were made on a false basis...which is a statement i won't attempt to debate, because under the conditions you have laid - there is no way to do it...so you can manipulate the argument...but you can't debate the fact that WMDs were found and used against US countrymen...which was one of the primary intentions for going into iraq whether they came from iraq or not...

Spank on;)

17. mrussell

mrussell Staff

Lets assume for the moment that this sarin shell came from a program developed by Sadam/Bathists sometime before March '03.

If Bush and Powell had not claimed an ongoing nuclear program, mobile bio weapons labs and a massive stockpile of ready to use bio weapons but instead said "we believe that sarin shells similar to those used against the kurds in the early 90's may still exist and could still be used", I wonder if the case for war would have been convincing enough.

It is too early to tell where this shell came from, but even if it turns out to be Sadam's, this administration has a long way to go to show evidence for its pre-war claims.

Those who claim there are no WMD's and use this claim to argue against the war are being just as simplistic as those who point to today's news and say Bush is vindicated.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, now I am confused. Did George go to war because Saddam HAD those weapons, or because he had no reservations about using such weapons? As I recall, the administration claimed he had them. But I could be wrong. ;)

Yes, I believe it was in 1988.

Hmmm, yes. 1988 predates 2003, so you are correct. Does that mean they were there in 2003?

So why not invade those countries that are storing the WMDs for Saddam? ;)

19. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

one shell...$300
    30,000,000 people liberated...
    a free republic of iraq to flourish in democracy for years to come
    and lessen future terrorist threats...

Papa with his foot in his mouth...priceless :D

20. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension must be faltering here a bit papa....these shells were tagged for destruction by inspectors...go back and read the column :rolleyes:

this ain't no spankin...it's an outright old fashioned red headed step child beaten goin on in heay....