1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some broken truck advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, May 21, 2019.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Try this first.

Then, if a no go, get a used one, as stated above.

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Pick that kid up by the scruff of the neck and chunk him under the truck. Make sure he knows that girls don't like to walk. He'll crawl out with a transmission directly.

Rebel635, Banditracer and cav115 like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

ask Yankee.

he will fix it on the side. he has a boat to pay for.

5. nigel smith

My experience with automatic transmissions indicates that once they lose their magic, you must put them on a bench and have the magic reinstalled by a qualified shaman.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Great shape. 112k miles. Other than this it's bulletproof. I've towed two bikes plus gear in a 6×10 landscape trailer at 80mph to the track dozens of times. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Then that's what you should do.

Park it on the street by Noo Joisey Motorsports Pahk and collect the insurance check. :D

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I don't think pulling a junkyward transmission would be a good idea in this case unless he was going to sell it or trade it in. Once the fluid mixes, the transmission is terminal. Odds are pretty good it's already mixed on the junkyard one, so what's the point if he's going to keep it?

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

this. if not for a crash, it's fairly certain that the junkyards ones are junk.

10. nigel smith

Whenever someone recommends a used part as a replacement, I remind them that it has a used part in it already.

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

True. I'd rather pay and get a warranty with it. Plus a little peace of mind. Plus I just don't feel like doing it. Lol

Phl218 likes this.
  12. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

$3.50?

BigBird likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not that I don't believe you but why would it be terminal? A little water and glycol shouldn't kill the parts inside the trans best I can tell.

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Odds are really good the trans is toast. Forget replacing the radiator. Cap the tubes and totally bypass the cooler in the radiator.
    If it were mine I would gamble with flushing it three or four times and new fluid. If that dont work put a Jasper in it. If its a 2wd should be able to get that done for 4-4500$$.

15. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Glycol on the racetrack and friction surfaces are bad right? I think...

16. nigel smith

There is no reason for a man in possession of a teenage boy to actually do the job. Give him advice, drink beer, and laugh when he busts his knuckles. It's a great bonding experience!

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Kills the Valve body and makes the clutches delaminate and disintegrate.
    Junkyard isnt a viable option for those trucks because thanks to the issues good ones are few and far between and way overpriced.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

It's something specific about Nissans. It comes up pretty fast on any searches. I briefly looked at Pathfinders with the same engine and transmission combo before buying my GX470. Once the fluid mixes, it does something to all the seals and then it's just a matter of when.

http://www.nissanproblems.com/coolant-leaks-destroy-transmission/

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed but enough time or one good rain shower and I can clean the track. We aren't replacing asphalt when glycol is spilled on it. Wondering why the same isn't true for a transmission.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah got ya, clutches coming apart makes sense. So not ruined so much as more hassle than it's worth to rebuild it fully.