1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some broken truck advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, May 21, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly no, only stock pimpin at that time in my life. Couldn't afford more than the gas for that boat :D

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Back in'70 I was throwing Bultacos sideways on dirt tracks in and around New England on Friday nights.
    My day job was working for a guy who owned a huge casting business and part of my job was to keep his ride clean and ready.
    He had one of these...

[​IMG]

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Pimpmobile gotdammit.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Back in '70 I was shitting my pants and dining at the tit! :D

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

At some point in your life, you will likely find yourself engaging in at least one of those pursuits again.

Metalhead, Phl218 and motoracer1100 like this.
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am curious to all that kept saying valve body..... I am familiar with Hydramatics and on them the valve body is part of the transmission so you would not buy both. It is also a chunk of AL which running antifreeze through it would do nothing (now the friction plates could be a different story. Just curious what is different on Toyotas?

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Valve body on the frontier/xterra incorporates the trans ecu, shift solenoids, pressure sensors and temp sensor. The coolant tends to kill them. Replacing it requires the proper equipment to mate it to the other ecus so they will work.

sheepofblue and Metalhead like this.
  8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

You mean Nissan's right?

sheepofblue likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

So what's changed?

10. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

My frontier did this too. I bypassed the trans line going to the radiator, flushed the transmission about a dozen times, and everything was fine. Not saying you won't have permanent trans damage, but don't assume anything. Also, depending on the age and mileage Nissan is on the hook for a percentage of the repairs, if needed. Hit up the Google's, lots of info on this exact issue.

joec and Metalhead like this.
  11. sheepofblue

Interesting the shift solenoids in a GM just unscrew from the valve body on every model I saw and the others are in the case. Sounds like a bit of a squirrel design on the frontier to me.... Oh well not something anyone here can be blamed for. Thanks for the interesting info I spent a stint at hydramatic a long time ago (actually did the s/w in a truck I still have).

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Even the newer GM stuff has a unit type solenoid pack with a trans ecu integrated in it. Some of them are fairly common for having issues, especially V6 fwd stuff.

sheepofblue likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

For the cayenne there’s a solenoid fix kit, containing new anchors, springs and some drills to bore out the bushings. You also have to open the valve body. Got a LITTLE blindsided by that, droppings springs and balls everywhere.

Got everything back together, stellar smooth shifts (100k transmission/ sealed- never had a fluid change)

$150 for the kit, $80 for 11 qts of Toyota type IV (vs $75 per quart!!!!! At Porsche) and a couple of bucks for the filter and gasket.

But then, the tranny cooler ain’t inside the radiator

BigBird likes this.
  14. sheepofblue

Our stuff ran in the same ECU as the engine.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Kiddo’s gonna need wheels next year. I’ll give ya $350 as is

Phl218 likes this.
  16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Didn't the cayenne have an overheating problem?

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Not mine. Mine has the “tropical zones” cooling and ac

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea! Now, we get to program the TCM when we change out the transmission.. :D