1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son can't get a job at his college because...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Clay, Jan 9, 2018.

1. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

It’s the truth - but even worse. Financial aid is tied to the fafsa. Student jobs are often considered as needs based financial aid. And the fafsa uses only income from the previous two years. If you’re currently unemployed but had a windfall the previous two years, but only flipped burgers before that, you’re screwed. Zero needs based financial aid. Meanwhile the colleges are charging a quarter of a million dollars for a 4 year degree while complaining about income inequality.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You seem to be under the impression that I'm saying people won't take a job that's "beneath them". That may be true of people that neither want nor need said job, but that's not who I'm talking about.

3. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

My wife, girlfriend at the time, 18yrs old, made $10/hr and was totally on her own at the time. Had a father that had been passed away for 2 years and a mother that left when she was less than 1 year old. Didn't qualify for a single grant. I dont know what gets you qualified, but if that wont do it i guess you have to be a total deadbeat. Ended up getting a BS with no assistance and no student loans. It took the better part of 10 years to take the amount of classes that were affordable, but in the end it payed off.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are screwed. Seriously.

5. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

It's completely retarded, the first time I went to school I couldn't enroll because I didn't have my parents tax returns to do the FASFA, I was in the Marine Corps and had already been to Iraq and back by this point but because I couldn't track down my parent's tax returns I wasn't allowed to enroll.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The original post was aimed at his kid learning that no job is beneath them. Whatever the on campus nonsense if that was the lesson learned it had value. Of course I would argue the valuable lesson #2 was that depending on the government or a government program is also a road to doom (as illustrated by the discussions about aid and the rules).

You then replied to my comment with something that did not match my wording. Thus my comments since. The original intent was not aimed at you in any way.

7. sheepofblue

Impossible that can't be done, aren't you listening :Poke:

Seriously good on her. I have a FANTASTIC family but we were far from wealthy and I did similar to her. A ton of hard work and sacrifice but worth it even though I am now punished for doing it :confused:

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Your original post, or the one where you quoted me?

I think it would be best if you and I didn't converse...we clearly don't understand each other. :D

sheepofblue likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You did not fit the mold that the system is set up for. College has essentially become young adult daycare and an extension of highschool. They expect kids to live at home in mommy and daddys basement until they are 25 so it is inconceivable to them that someone could already have life experiences and be living on their own when they apply for college.
    The flip side is that if you get OK grades, your skin is the correct shade and your parents are deadbeats college can be a free ride.

10. Trunxgp1224

I have never understood how affirmative action is in any way legal. You are literally giving someone preference based on skin color. If you take a black person and a white person who have the exact same everything, the black person gets accepted simply because they are black. How is that not racial discrimination?

11. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think that keeping them under your own roof is one of the only defenses against the indoctrination.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

When I started school I was unlucky enough to have enough cash to start and ended up having to pay the rest via credit card once I managed to burn through my savings. So at 19 I had to get a job that paid 1/2 decent. Which ended up being UPS. Another alternative was Walgreens but you had to work weekends. At the time the only folks that got the tuition benefit was management. So I put in my letter and was promoted. The program was pretty generous for under grad costs and no minimum gpa or set time limits on obtaining your paper. Then in 97 the shrewd teamsters got the program opened to "hourlies". I was able to take advantage of it for my CIS degree... they wouldnt pay for any of the microsoft certification modules that were so hot then.

So I got curious about what other companies offered tuition assistance...
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/23/these-companies-pay-for-college-tuition.html

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It is discrimination. But there is a litany of bullshit excuses why it is OK to discriminate in this way. Both of my kids have been impacted by this in college selections, scholarships, etc. But the best thing to do is to make sure they understand that sometimes life is not fair and move on. The funny (in a sad way) thing that I see is that friends of my kids that benefited the most from these programs are from affluent families and have never had any hardship in their life but they are the ones that are being extremely vocal and social justicey about how they are being held back by the color of their skin. Delusion and entitlement runs rampant in some groups and it seems like the more free shit they get the more underprivileged they feel.

IMO, by the time they are ready to head off to college they are already almost completely outside of your sphere of influence as far as attitudes and opinions go. Maybe I am just lucky but both of my daughters have remained reasonable and level headed as far as the whole left wing college indoctrination goes. They are both more charitable and compassionate than me but I think that is expected of young people and is not a terribly high bar. But I am happy to say they both recognize and will talk to me about when they feel the Profs are trying to indoctrinate them and then we laugh about all of the idiot students that are lapping that shit up.

Boman Forklift and Fonda Dix like this.
  14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'll easily be keeping my kids under my own roof. Living on campus at your average college is over HALF the insanely high cost. We've been looking at all the costs of local university and state schools within driving distance. We're hoping that he can exit with his biology or chemistry degree with little to no cost based on scholarships and his own hard work. After that the real cost begins with med school. We're still looking at local options though, with UNC Chapel Hill being the most likely candidate. If he can come out of med school with less than 100k in loans, we're set. After that he intends to go to anesthesiology school, most likely Duke. Then, potentially a military doctor for 10 years. Who knows, as that's a long ways out. Still proud of him for thinking that far out, when just one year ago he was still unsure about what he wanted to do.

Besides, we're all introverts and HATE being around other people we don't know. Both of my kids have no desire to "go away" to college. I love my kids and am perfectly fine with that.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny you mention that. My son is set. He's a math genius and doesn't really get social stuff. He could care less about how you "feel". He just wants to learn, do math, and be left alone. My daughter is very different. Still smart, straight A student in the honor program, but also a skilled athlete that LOVES the arts. What a mix?!?! Anyhow, her best friend is a lesbian conservative. What a crazy mix. I call her friend "D2" for Daughter 2 as she's over here as much as she is her own home. No, my daughter isn't gay and D2 isn't "into her". (I almost feel I have to state that as a disclaimer.) They spend a lot of their time watching SJW getting wrecked, Ben Shapiro, and Milo videos. My own "gay daughter" blasts gay and left wingers relentlessly. It's quite funny. I don't think college will be an indoctrination issue for either. My only worry is that my daughter loves the arts and there's very few avenues being successful in that career. I just don't want her stacking on student loans to get an art degree. I guess the future and children are weird like that. You just never know where life will take you.

16. Trunxgp1224

Teachers around here make good money.

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Colleges are light years ahead of the nfl in this race.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Military doctor IMO is the way to go. They have loan repayment and also the Armed Forces Medical School. Being a doctor will leave him with a shitload of debt he’ll spend 10+ years paying anyway. May as well become a military doctor for the same period and emerge debt free when you leave. Or stay in either active or reserve and leave with a bird or star on your shoulders after 30 years. My niece wants to become a doctor and I’m encouraging her and her mother to seriously explore it.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

Not in ruining their business, yet. As far as crazy left wing psychos I agree :timeforabeer:

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

That's 100% the reason. Plus, a very high level of experience. Comes out debt free plus all that experience, then ready to make very real money without all those insane years of struggling, working 12 hour shifts for pennies while in residency. Still lots to explore. Going to get more schooling under his belt before he starts looking at those options more deeply. More than anything he's going to want to talk to some doctors living in those situations, not just a recruiter that will feed him rainbows and unicorn farts.